Scurfa putting out some killer pieces soon!

Discussion of microbrand watches
bedlam
Name: Carl

Re: Scurfa putting out some killer pieces soon!

Post by bedlam » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:28 pm

rain_maker wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:22 pm
bedlam wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:02 pm
rain_maker wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:30 pm
bedlam wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:12 pm
Did he run out of money and couldn't afford to index the whole bezel??

Micros FFS
I've seen this from another watch company. Maybe it will catch on...
OMG.

You are making the same point I started with many moons back. Micros are still copying a 1950's Rolex bezel design as used on the Sub when the dive watch ISO requirements have changed over time.

Even Rolex upgraded from that old bezel design on their serious dive watch, the Sea Dweller.
Unless I'm mistaken the ISO requirement is a 60 min bezel with markings every 5 min. I could be wrong but a lot of other (current) watches have a similar set up (5min markings with minute markings for the last 15min) such as Tudor BB, Blancpain FF, Aegir, etc.
What watch companies do on dive watches doesn't always reflect a knowledge of diving. You see fixed length dive extensions on bracelets, sapphire crystals with external AR, orange dials for 'superior visibility underwater', BARx10 used to indicate depth ratings, snag points on the top of bezels. It goes on and on.

See the dial of this UTS for an example of not understanding ATA in assuming BARx10 = the depth rating; It doesn't help that it has a non-compliant bezel, unprotected crown, fixed dive extension.

Companies continue to produce designs that have historical references and remain popular. That's cool, but doesn't always mean they are up to date in terms of standards or are the best possible design for diving. You should see the gas regulators they used back when that Submariner was current.
Last edited by bedlam on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:22 am

Carl and I may not agree on everything, but I've got to say on this topic he is dead-on correct.

I don't dive as much as Carl does, but I surf year-round in NH. I have 5 wetsuits of varying thickness depending upon the season.

I 100% agree fixed length diver's extensions on bracelets are pointless. For all the crap we give the MM300 bracelet, that clasp actually works for the purpose designed. What works even better is the accordion rubber strap that I can cinch down over the wetsuit and it won't flop around as my overall wrist circumference changes with depth and temperature. That strap is the perfect design for the purpose intended.

My criteria for a "good" surf watch includes drilled lugs so I can run shoulderless springbars, a bezel I can remove without expensive tools so I can clean out all the grit accumulated over a year of soaking in the sandy surf zone, a crystal that won't shatter when I knock it about, and a crown that is protected so I won't stress it when I fall. Bonus points awarded if the watch is relatively affordable because if you lose something in the surf, it is pretty much gone for good.

Ironically, the SKX007 is probably one of the better designs ever produced which fulfills all my criteria.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:51 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:22 am
Ironically, the SKX007 is probably one of the better designs ever produced which fulfills all my criteria.
No question about that :cheers: