Discussion of microbrand watches
duzuwatches
Name: Anon

Re: Introducing Duzu Watches - Prototype - Ningaloo Reef

Post by duzuwatches » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 am

gwells wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:20 am
^ this ^

especially when it's literally a drive-by with no, "hey, guys, this is who i am and what i do" to it. just "hey look at my shit" won't get you a good response.
Agreed, apologies for the lack of etiquette......I've revised my post

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Re: Duzu Watches - Prototype

Post by mikeylacroix » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:30 am

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:01 am

What is it with micro watch makers?

If you are going to call it a dive watch, then index the f#cking bezel like the dive watch ISO requires.

FFS.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:22 am

bedlam wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:01 am

If you are going to call it a dive watch, then index the f#cking bezel like the dive watch ISO requires.

FFS.
To be fair, this watch has a bezel that is indexed for the first 15 seconds, just like a Rolex Sub or an Omega Planet Ocean, or an IWC Aquatimer.... unless I am missing something? Seiko's ISO divers have fully indexed bezels, as does the Sea Dweller, but plenty of popular"dive watches" do not.

ISO 6425 requires a bezel with 5 minute elapsed minute markers, which this watch has, along with minute markers on the face......

DEMO

Post by DEMO » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:06 am

I agree, not a case copy of the SAS. There are some slight similarities but a design copy it isn't.

But........
- That dial design is atrocious. It is so confusing to look at with all the random marker elements.
- Those milled out case sides would collect crud like off road tire tread and would be difficult to wipe down and keep clean.

I do like the bezel and crown though.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:40 am

It has the same first glance feel as the SAS, though it comes off much larger. It will wear huge, but I guess that's ok for the Invicta fans.
Agree the milled crevices will collect gunk.
Overall I'm not attracted to it. Too big, too garish.
The Hapa

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:52 am

Just because you can make cut outs on dials and cases doesn't mean that you should......
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

bedlam

Post by bedlam » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:30 pm

dnslater wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:22 am
bedlam wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:01 am

FFS.
To be fair, this watch has a bezel that is indexed for the first 15 seconds, just like a Rolex Sub or an Omega Planet Ocean, or an IWC Aquatimer.... unless I am missing something? Seiko's ISO divers have fully indexed bezels, as does the Sea Dweller, but plenty of popular"dive watches" do not.

ISO 6425 requires a bezel with 5 minute elapsed minute markers, which this watch has, along with minute markers on the face......
The old ISO only required 5min markers. The current one requires minute indexing to 60 mins plus the 5min markers to stand out.

Lots of desk divers buy watches with a 1950's bezel design because they don't know better, or like the look. That is fine, but call it a sports watch rather than a dive watch if its trading its core function for looks.

To me its the same as a chrono that relegates the seconds timing function to a sub-dial. It can still be used but why would you treat the central purpose as a secondary issue??

From the current ISO: If it is a rotating bezel, it shall have a minute scale going up to 60 min. The markings indicating every 5 min shall be clearly indicated.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:45 pm

there's a difference between a "dive watch" and an "ISO dive watch." i doubt any serious diver is going to actually dive using tables with a dive watch that really doesn't give all the indicators they need. i mean, really, i doubt there are many "use a bottom timer and tables" divers left out there. computers are the real way people dive now. bottom timers are there for backup.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:58 pm

Fair enough Carl. I was going from Wikipedia. I love to bash micro brands too, but it isn’t really fair when they are doing the same thing all of the major brands and forum darling watches are doing. Hell, even the Tudor Pelagos has only a partially indexed bezel.

bedlam

Post by bedlam » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:58 pm

gwells wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:45 pm
there's a difference between a "dive watch" and an "ISO dive watch." i doubt any serious diver is going to actually dive using tables with a dive watch that really doesn't give all the indicators they need. i mean, really, i doubt there are many "use a bottom timer and tables" divers left out there. computers are the real way people dive now. bottom timers are there for backup.
I'm sorry, but this is a bit ignorant. The most serious divers use tables heavily as they are still the safest. The tables most commercial divers use (DCIEM) are not even available on a dive computer.

Also, if you are doing a planned deep stop (rather than one the computer requested) its handy to have a bezel marked in minutes to track easily. You may already be task-loaded, may be narced and the water bends the light so the dial markings look a fair bit further away from the bezel than you would see on land. The point of the watch is as a tool to track dive time...why make it harder??
Last edited by bedlam on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bedlam

Post by bedlam » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:59 pm

dnslater wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:58 pm
Fair enough Carl. I was going from Wikipedia. I love to bash micro brands too, but it isn’t really fair when they are doing the same thing all of the major brands and forum darling watches are doing. Hell, even the Tudor Pelagos has only a partially indexed bezel.
I would absolutely love a Pelagos and it shits me mightily that they put a half-assed bezel on it.

And then all the micro sheep follow along :scream:

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:09 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:27 am
It looks like someone added crown guards to the stolen SAS case design and then milled out the sides.
This one doesn’t look like the SAS. :think:
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:12 pm

watches503 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:14 pm
CGSshorty wrote:
watches503 wrote:Looks like a fun watch but those lugs will probably make it wear like a 46mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s a stolen SAS case design. It doesn’t wear that long.
Not to my eyes. Lots of differences, not counting the hollow case sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, people making shit up, lol.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:20 pm

This watch sucks ass. Why are people still talking about it?

watches503
Name: Luis

Duzu Watches - Prototype

Post by watches503 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:51 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:This watch sucks ass. Why are people still talking about it?
Awww. Somebody needs a hug huh?

duzuwatches
Name: Anon

Post by duzuwatches » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:54 pm

Keep on posting, negative or positive or just random. At least it has invoked some discussion. Can’t please everyone. Articulate responses are far and few between from what I’ve gathered, no constructive criticism to date, just randomness. Come on guys, try the constructive articulate route.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:02 pm

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

bedlam

Post by bedlam » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:32 pm

duzuwatches wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:54 pm
Keep on posting, negative or positive or just random. At least it has invoked some discussion. Can’t please everyone. Articulate responses are far and few between from what I’ve gathered, no constructive criticism to date, just randomness. Come on guys, try the constructive articulate route.
My bezel recommendation was random? Yeah, right.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: Watch Prototype

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:12 am

duzuwatches wrote:Keep on posting, negative or positive or just random. At least it has invoked some discussion. Can’t please everyone. Articulate responses are far and few between from what I’ve gathered, no constructive criticism to date, just randomness. Come on guys, try the constructive articulate route.
Im sure you were aiming for “unique” and different, but it looks too clunky, the dial is ugly, and it lacks class and style.

Constructive enough?

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:02 am

duzuwatches wrote:
Dial design is interesting, but looks busy and difficult to read. Has some potential if you clean it up. I like the bezel. Carved out case sides seem like an arbitrary design element. Weight savings on a watch? They will fill with gunk when you wear it and make the watch hard to keep clean. Also will catch on things. Second hand needs lume on a dive watch.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:51 am

duzuwatches wrote:
Why is it that we have to design a watch for you? Because there are more micros thean cockroaches in Brooklyn apartment and you're trying to stand out?....never mind

andy tims
Name: Andy Tims

Post by andy tims » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:22 am

duzuwatches wrote:
My response was 100% constructive. Ignore it & you might just get a cease & desist notice from Glycine's legal team.
Andy

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:50 am

watches503 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:51 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:This watch sucks ass. Why are people still talking about it?
Awww. Somebody needs a hug huh?

Right back at you

As for this watch...

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:52 am

duzuwatches wrote:
You're in the wrong place.