Blurb from Nodus on Micro brands

Discussion of microbrand watches
Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Blurb from Nodus on Micro brands

Post by Bradystraps » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:49 am

Just saw and figured I'd share. Nothing earth shattering but might be interesting to some of you.

I can say that one of the most time consuming aspects for a small player like me is the lack of data. The amount of time I spend on marketing is enormous. I really rely on grass roots (dirt roots, actually! :lol: ) campaigns to get my message and information out to the market. Cutting through red tape to get the data I need can be a very daunting task.

https://www.noduswatches.com/nodus-blog ... icrobrands

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: Blurb from Nodus on Micro brands

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:04 pm

You should visit Watchuseek.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Twice. Once to reset the password, and another time to post some bs.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:43 am

Quick read, but nothing new or earth shattering revealed. Deal with Chinese manufacturing and expose yourself to various risks to IP, delays, etc.

I'm still waiting for some micro to bring case manufacturing to the US. I believe the manufacturing environment is getting close (through low cost automation) to leveling the cost structure between local and Far East manufacturing.

Even if the entire Ginault story was smoke, I believe there is a plausible element to it. If you had access to a machine shop (such as an aerospace parts contract manufacturer) and could work in some extra third shift side job work, I think it could be done.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:08 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:04 pm
He's banned.... under several usernames... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 am

WUS doesn't take well to businesses that won't pay up. Keep in mind it's no longer a blog site. It's an advertising platform.
The Hapa

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:10 am

justsellbrgs wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:04 pm
He's banned.... under several usernames... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know. That’s why it’s funny.Image
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:20 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 am
WUS doesn't take well to businesses that won't pay up. Keep in mind it's no longer a blog site. It's an advertising platform.
Right, it is a business that survives on advertising dollars. That's why the site is free to non-commercial users like you and I but charges companies who use the site for their own financial gain. Attempting to circumvent the rules for commercial users by repeatedly creating fake names in order to shill products seems like a pretty valid reason to be banned IMO.

I'm sure that the WUS user base would dwindle to a tiny fraction of today's numbers if they dropped all ads and charged everyone to access the site. The only other viable alternative is to charge commercial users of the site to advertise their products. It costs real money to run a site with the network bandwidth and storage requirements of something like Watchuseek. Even a relatively small site like DWC has real monthly costs to keep the lights on. Unless you don't mind funding a site out of your own pocket, the money to run it has to come from somewhere.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:22 am

Wu should start charging too, but just the OP. DWC seems to be his primary design vehicle - why should Wu fund that?

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:23 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:22 am
Wu should start charging too, but just the OP. DWC seems to be his primary design vehicle - why should Wu fund that?
Amen.

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 am

JP Chestnut wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't make the shit up.

Happy Monday, all. :thumbsup:

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:53 am

Never understood why Todd keeps getting banned, but yet Chinese clones like Sharkey, Merkur, and Ouroboros have several threads going about the MM300 and Tuna copy ripoffs. Doubt they are paying the WUS ad fee.

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 am

59yukon01 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:53 am
Never understood why Todd keeps getting banned, but yet Chinese clones like Sharkey, Merkur, and Ouroboros have several threads going about the MM300 and Tuna copy ripoffs. Doubt they are paying the WUS ad fee.

That's easy, Dave... because I told Ernie I would never pay him $10K+ to be a sponsor.

Way off topic. I just wanted to share Nodus' thoughts on the Micro world. Some of it was worth the 45 seconds to read. ;)

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 am

Bradystraps wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 am
JP Chestnut wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't make the shit up.

Happy Monday, all. :thumbsup:
Why would anyone need to make it up?

http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/f ... 74&t=59947

Did DWC convince you to go brushed or blasted?
Bradystraps wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:44 pm
Turning to you guys for help. Again. :lol:

I am back and forth on the finish of this one. As much as I want to produce a blasted finish field watch, I know a brushed finish would look good and be functional as well.

Please chime in. I appreciate your input. :thumbsup:
http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/f ... 74&t=60406
Did you end up fixing the hands?
Jeep99dad wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:16 pm
I think the hands and hour markers need a tad thicker/ more pronounced black border maybe
tattoo chef wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:53 am
I don’t know if it’s just the rendering but please make that second hand reach the seconds indices. Way too short as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradystraps wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:45 am
I am playing with some hand set variations.
andrema wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:59 pm
Hands too short

http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/f ... 74&t=60614
What size did you end up deciding?
Bradystraps wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:00 am
tattoo chef wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:46 am
Love these. What are you thinking on size? 42 or 43?

I was leaning towards 43mm but I am open to input.
tattoo chef wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:03 am
Bradystraps wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:46 am
Love these. What are you thinking on size? 42 or 43?

I was leaning towards 43mm but I am open to input.

I’m just liking at size of case and the crown protectors etc and that 43 might make it feel like a 44.
42 is probably the sweet spot IMO

Bradystraps wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:16 am
jtbenson wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:54 am
i'm with Gera(rl)d, when you name it "Antarctic", white dial is mandatory.
Will definitely consider a white dial down the road. :thumbsup:

So... 42 X 48mm and 13mm thickness sound good? I think that configuration would cover most.
Bradystraps wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:30 am
DEMO wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:48 am
Todd --- Just saw this post. That is a really good looking design, I like everything about it, including the integrated bracelet.

43mm dia x 14mm thick would be the sweet spot for dimensions. It would wear like the rugged watch that I believe you are trying to target. In the smaller 40-42mm size and it would just wear too small for me....dress watch size.

Love the design though. Definitely looking forward to further development on this one. :thumbsup:

Thank you, Dave. Always good to hear from you and your insight. :thumbsup:
http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/f ... 74&t=59041
Did you ever end up figuring out the lug width?
Bradystraps wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:17 pm
Thank you all for your input. I will continue to work on the design and try different elements.
One spec I am back and forth with is the lug width. What is everyone's thoughts on 20mm vs. 22mm?
What about movement?
Bradystraps wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:55 am
Should I offer a Quartz model as well? Do you feel there is enough interest out there for it? :think:

Listen - Wu lets you be here, for some reason, so you're here. However, don't for one second think that a huge majority of us don't realize what you're doing here and wish that you would go away. The above were from the first two pages of your post history.

LOL on that. :bird:

Just look to Terry as an example of how to conduct yourself on DWC as business front/member.

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:14 am

Such a sweetheart, JP. Sorry you have such angst towards me. :rolleyes:

I have NEVER done anything but compliment the good folks here for helping me with input on my designs. I've also donated to Make a Wish numerous times mentioning DWC and in interviews I've done. I am very appreciative to DWC. Why do you have such a hard on about it?

Many feel value in small companies actually trying to produce watches that check people's boxes rather than just what the company wants to pump out there. Collaboration can be a good thing, no?

It's you that feels the need to troll pretty much any thread I start, no matter what the topic, to get in a personal attack. Really getting stale.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 am

Tough shit. You have a persecution complex and you come off like a whiny bitch.

Just know, as I and many others do, that there's a constant conversation behind the curtain about getting rid of you. You're a freeloader and Wu lets it happen. It's his call. The least you can do is own it. DWC provides incredible value to you, and you provide... :scratch:

I've sufficiently exposed your stupidity and obliviousness here, so feel free to get the last word. :bird:

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy
Name: Peter

Post by Terpits » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:30 am

JPC cracks me up.

And Todd too, with the constant solicitation for every product.

Sent from your iPhone using Tapatalk
:rimshot:

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:31 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 am

Just know, as I and many others do, that there's a constant conversation behind the curtain about getting rid of you. You're a freeloader and Wu lets it happen. It's his call. The least you can do is own it. DWC provides incredible value to you, and you provide... :scratch:

I've sufficiently exposed your stupidity and obliviousness here, so feel free to get the last word. :bird:

There's also PM's asking me what your issue is. I didn't take this thread off topic to attack someone, you did.
As for last word, I will refrain and stay above it.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:32 am

Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:51 am

I can’t resist a good circle jerk, so...

While JP can summon his inner-Eeyore pretty easily, in this situation he’s got a good point.

Todd; you know I’ve provided you with plenty of input in the past, both in the threads and via PM’s when you’ve had questions. You probably didn’t notice that I stopped a while back, but I did. It just seemed like too much. Now I appreciate and can respect a guy for starting a business and trying to move it forward, but we are largely a social club and watches are only a part. Your constant Karlskrona posts have become annoying, at least to me.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:11 am

Referring back to the original post, as a less informed member of the watch knowledge community I did find Nodus' musings interesting. I think it's a great idea to include some reference material for purchase options on your website. If anything it keeps the customer on your site longer and perhaps less likely to get drawn in by a competitor.
The Hapa

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:16 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 am

So pull one piece from a new model run -- #002 for example and make it a DWC watch. Make it available to the DWC members in raffle form... depending on value of finished unit the entry could be $10-20.... get 100+ DWCers involved +/- and the watch is raffled off... funds from the chance to win go to DWC account.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:47 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:51 am
I can’t resist a good circle jerk, so...

While JP can summon his inner-Eeyore pretty easily, in this situation he’s got a good point.

Todd; you know I’ve provided you with plenty of input in the past, both in the threads and via PM’s when you’ve had questions. You probably didn’t notice that I stopped a while back, but I did. It just seemed like too much. Now I appreciate and can respect a guy for starting a business and trying to move it forward, but we are largely a social club and watches are only a part. Your constant Karlskrona posts have become annoying, at least to me.

Ed, thank you for being a great customer and supporter over the years. I also appreciate all of the valuable input you've offered.
I respect your opinion and constructive criticism. I will take it to heart.

Hope all is well out west.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:23 pm

logan2z wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:20 am
HapaHapa wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 am
Right, it is a business that survives on advertising dollars. That's why the site is free to non-commercial users like you and I but charges companies who use the site for their own financial gain. Attempting to circumvent the rules for commercial users by repeatedly creating fake names in order to shill products seems like a pretty valid reason to be banned IMO.

I'm sure that the WUS user base would dwindle to a tiny fraction of today's numbers if they dropped all ads and charged everyone to access the site. The only other viable alternative is to charge commercial users of the site to advertise their products. It costs real money to run a site with the network bandwidth and storage requirements of something like Watchuseek. Even a relatively small site like DWC has real monthly costs to keep the lights on. Unless you don't mind funding a site out of your own pocket, the money to run it has to come from somewhere.
I meet someone who runs a watch company and does not post about it on wus but he does sell personal watches there. Now they want him to register as a sponsor and pay a fee even though he does not advertise his product there.
Last edited by toxicavenger on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:27 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:53 am
Those are threads aren't started by the owner of the company. Heck I don't think the pissing dog owner is a sponsor either and half of the wus server is full of his comments alone.