Blurb from Nodus on Micro brands

Discussion of microbrand watches
Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Re: Blurb from Nodus on Micro brands

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:42 am

Ginault takes (in some ways deservedly) a ton of crap on the forums, but I think elements of their go-to-market plan were remarkably honest.

They didn't do any MKii-style pre-order. They only sold watches when they were in stock and ready for shipment. If the watches were a flop, they could've been left sitting on a ton of unsold inventory, but this was a risk they assumed (and mitigated by releasing a popular homage style).

They offered discounts to those willing to write a review. They didn't say it had to be a glowing review - just and honest impression of the watch. This gets you away from the business end of the micro-watch industry, such as having to pay for forum sponsorship (which I believe Ginault eventually did) and having to supply review watches to various blogs.

The discount thing is actually one of the key areas of controversy with the watch. Apparently, some people bought the watch at the discount price with hopes of flipping it at a profit when the discount period was over. They got upset and started bashing the brand when the discounts were extended.

I think the biggest risk of this "discount for review" policy is from guys like me. I'm not a flipper so if elements of the watch truly sucked (such as the Glidelock copy clasp), I'd point it out. You have got to have confidence in your product to market in this manner.

Where Ginault screwed up is their over the top marketing claims, but then again it is those claims which caused the forums to blow up, so what do I know....

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:08 am

Ryeguy wrote:Ginault takes (in some ways deservedly) a ton of crap on the forums, but I think elements of their go-to-market plan were remarkably honest.

They didn't do any MKii-style pre-order. They only sold watches when they were in stock and ready for shipment. If the watches were a flop, they could've been left sitting on a ton of unsold inventory, but this was a risk they assumed (and mitigated by releasing a popular homage style).

They offered discounts to those willing to write a review. They didn't say it had to be a glowing review - just and honest impression of the watch. This gets you away from the business end of the micro-watch industry, such as having to pay for forum sponsorship (which I believe Ginault eventually did) and having to supply review watches to various blogs.

The discount thing is actually one of the key areas of controversy with the watch. Apparently, some people bought the watch at the discount price with hopes of flipping it at a profit when the discount period was over. They got upset and started bashing the brand when the discounts were extended.

I think the biggest risk of this "discount for review" policy is from guys like me. I'm not a flipper so if elements of the watch truly sucked (such as the Glidelock copy clasp), I'd point it out. You have got to have confidence in your product to market in this manner.

Where Ginault screwed up is their over the top marketing claims, but then again it is those claims which caused the forums to blow up, so what do I know....
Buying at a discount with intent to flip is great for the selling company but pisses me off. It makes the pre order a joke if I’m competing with opportunists. I know, it’s just how it works, but pisses me off nonetheless.
The Hapa

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:30 am

I have no problem with brands offering a discount to early adopters. I actually have no issue with someone making a profit on a flip if they can.

It hurts me on products like the Halios where I know I won't likely ever get the GMT as opportunists will snare them in order to sell them at huge profits on the secondary market.

This isn't really any different than the issue Rolex is facing as mentioned in the other thread. They are reducing their supply of sport models so "trusted dealers" are combing the AD's, purchasing up the AD's inventory in order to stock their shelves for resale at significantly inflated prices. There is no watch passion here. It is strictly a business playing the futures market.

It sucks, but I get it.

I'm talking more about the "pump and dump" model. Imagine if some brand sent low cost / no cost examples to, let's call them "unofficial brand ambassadors" who take nice photos and post glowing reviews on forums to promote the watch and encourage others to purchase the watch at full price.

In return for their services, these "brand ambassadors" are able to sell the watches and make a profit. The better they pump the watch, the higher the profit they could potentially make.

Personally, I found the transparency in the Ginault method refreshing in the micro world. They didn't set out with high prices and they didn't didn't ask for money ahead of receiving the watch.

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:36 am

The Micro sector is evolving and "practicing" new business models at an alarming rate. Companies draw up their business plan based on economic capability and capacity and execute to the best of their ability. It just amazes me how many are popping up every week.
Great for me as a consumer, tough as a competitor.