The state of the Micro watch industry

Discussion of microbrand watches
Bradystraps
Name: Todd

The state of the Micro watch industry

Post by Bradystraps » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:07 pm

I'm curious to hear opinions on where people feel the Micro industry is going, given the astronomical amount of companies currently coming out the woodwork on an almost daily basis. Do you see this as a trend that continues for the short term (1-3 years) or more of a fad that will flush itself out with many companies fading into non-existence? :think:

It's a crazy time in the Micro world with all of the activity, that's for sure.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: The state of the Micro watch industry

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:12 pm

95% of the micros available today will be obsolete in the next 5 yrs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:16 pm

i have completely stayed away from micro brands. Until recently when i found myself go from 0 to 4 micros within a few months. I have found great enjoyment out of these inexpensive pieces along with my more "upscale" brands. They have a great spot now in my collection and i really like wearing them. I think its great to have a cheap way to have fun with different styles etc. I even have a Zelos Helmsman 2 on preorder....I never thought i would get into the micros, but i don't see anything wrong with them. I also find that often since they are run by one person, the customer service is far better than very large brands as the owner takes a personal interest in his/her clients.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:18 pm

streetracer101 wrote:95% of the micros available today will be obsolete in the next 5 yrs.

I think your estimate is conservative. I think it's closer to 99%.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:21 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:18 pm
streetracer101 wrote:95% of the micros available today will be obsolete in the next 5 yrs.

I think your estimate is conservative. I think it's closer to 99%.
And it's not going to take 5 years.

I'm more interested in the possibility of blocking all threads in this subforum via my user CP.

stonehead887
Name: Jeremy

Post by stonehead887 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:55 pm

Micro's are a great source for watch value hunting. I have 4 micro brands and enjoy each of them. I think there is a distinct difference between "established brands" and those that pop up with lousy designs to jump on the KS bandwagon. They are doing the real micro brands no favours. There are some consistently good micro brands who put together well thought out watches with interesting designs and you just get the feeling they are doing it cuz they love watches and have a good creative mind. Those brands will stick around, evolve and build a loyal following. I don't really bother now looking at any KS stuff but will take note of offerings from the likes of Zelos, Armida and Crepas

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:01 pm

^^this totally^^

There are 2-3 levels of micro. Top level of established guys, above list plus maybe Halios, Helson, magrette, and a couple of others. Some newer mid level folks not quite as established, and then there are all the wannabes on kickstarter. I think level one is safe as long as they manage their businesses. Two and three include a lot of folks who won't be around a few years from now.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:07 pm

I think I'm over all of them. Designs have become goofy and it's a fight to be different, even when that's ugly.

Brands have to manage cost with the desire to be unique, but it appears cost wins the race. Even if "high end" micros like Monta don't compromise on the quality (which is still undetermined) they aren't compelling enough to get my money.

I'd prefer to wear a genuine Seiko or Casio over a wanna-be something else. The solution is to get what you want from the start, as I'm sure it's less expensive than flipping a shitload of cheap watches at a loss.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Choice in any market is a plus. The consumer will determine who has value/interest and survives.
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:37 pm

gwells wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:01 pm
There are 2-3 levels of micro. Top level of established guys, above list plus maybe Halios, Helson, magrette, and a couple of others. Some newer mid level folks not quite as established, and then there are all the wannabes on kickstarter.
^^^^agreed

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Micro brands will keep coming.... and going.... as there will always be folks new to the hobby that are interested in the value they represent. Already many of these brands have faded into the night. I found a list from 5 years ago and many are no longer selling.....Artego, Boschett, Dwatch, Corvus, Gerlach, Hexa, Kaventsmann, Korsbek, Kremke...... I'll stop but I'm not halfway through the alphabet....

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:43 pm

dnslater wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:40 pm
Micro brands will keep coming.... and going.... as there will always be folks new to the hobby that are interested in the value they represent. Already many of these brands have faded into the night. I found a list from 5 years ago and many are no longer selling.....Artego, Boschett, Dwatch, Corvus, Gerlach, Hexa, Kaventsmann, Korsbek, Kremke...... I'll stop but I'm not halfway through the alphabet....
Boschett, Gerlach and Kavenstman are still around. Boschett just hasn't released any new models in a while it seems.

Good read on how to make a Kickstart Micro brand https://imgur.com/a/6CNO8
:mrgreen:

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Korsbek was actually one of the more interesting and seemingly higher quality ones. Always liked the look, but they were giant watches. If he came back with a 40mm model with a normal lug to lug I'd actually be tempted.

Agree on all the comments re the kickstarter brands. Most are horrendous and likely one shot and done.
- Todd

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:56 pm

I've had a few and have seen many I like. Most now have either a Seiko or Miyota movement. For usually the same price range I can have a long established original brand like Seiko, of which there are many models I've yet to try. Probably for every micro that fails, another will soon pop up, so I'll stick with what I know I like.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:02 pm

other than taking the $200 chance on the ventus mori, i've stayed with established micros. halios, magrette, helson, not sure you would count steinhart or christopher ward, those are just smaller brands.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:25 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:43 pm
dnslater wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:40 pm
Boschett, Gerlach and Kavenstman are still around. Boschett just hasn't released any new models in a while it seems.

Good read on how to make a Kickstart Micro brand https://imgur.com/a/6CNO8
:mrgreen:
My bad. Keith confirmed recently that he has no plans for a future watch. I used old links for Kaventsmann and Gerlach from an old boutique watch directory and they were dead. Looks like they have new URL's now

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Chocodove wrote:Korsbek was actually one of the more interesting and seemingly higher quality ones. Always liked the look, but they were giant watches. If he came back with a 40mm model with a normal lug to lug I'd actually be tempted.

Agree on all the comments re the kickstarter brands. Most are horrendous and likely one shot and done.

Poul did Fricker cases and ETA movements, but there were many delays because of the time period he was operating. I owned three of his four models and they were outstanding.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:36 pm

dnslater wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:25 pm
My bad. Keith confirmed recently that he has no plans for a future watch. I used old links for Kaventsmann and Gerlach from an old boutique watch directory and they were dead. Looks like they have new URL's now
I don't think Keith is into the watch game as much. he might have lost his mojo for it.

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:07 pm

Good input, gents. I agree that many of the Micros probably won't survive the next few years. I also feel that guys like Halios, Helson, Bochett and alike will survive and can continue to thrive because they blend originality. quality and provide a good customer experience and ongoing service.

I do feel there is a good place for companies like these above in our hobby and I like supporting them. Plus I always receive compliments on these watches as every person I come across has never heard of any of them and that always seems to strike up a conversation about what a "Micro" is. :lol:

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:42 pm

I like them. I own a Bathys, an SAS and a Halios. I agree that you have to stick with the proven ones. Also some names turn me right off on the dial. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:57 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
dnslater wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:25 pm
I don't think Keith is into the watch game as much. he might have lost his mojo for it.

I think he found it hard to compete. It was always a side business for him and when he started he was one of only a few in town. A few years later there were a lot. A few more years later there were a shit ton. I think he got lost in the shuffle and did not want to invest the time and money it would take to try and stay relevant.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:59 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:57 pm
I think he found it hard to compete. It was always a side business for him and when he started he was one of only a few in town. A few years later there were a lot. A few more years later there were a shit ton. I think he got lost in the shuffle and did not want to invest the time and money it would take to try and stay relevant.

I can totally see that. I had a few of his watches and I really liked them. And he was a great cat to deal with.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:29 am

The biggest issue I see with micros is that when the owner loses interest or dies, very few of them will remain solvent. I think this happened with Helson, although I think he's making watches again. There's a handful of the bigger ones that may a brand worth buying, but they're few and far between.

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:50 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:29 am
The biggest issue I see with micros is that when the owner loses interest or dies, very few of them will remain solvent. I think this happened with Helson, although I think he's making watches again. There's a handful of the bigger ones that may a brand worth buying, but they're few and far between.

Very true. It is becoming increasingly difficult and these projects, with their delays and inconsistent support from manufacturers, can really suck the life out of you. It can be a real roller coaster ride full of highs and lows. Plus, many times "life" gets in the way or God forbid, one's "real job". :lol:

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:28 am

good thread... I'll drag it down slightly with this current offering:

"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")