On rubber..Image

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Monta price drop

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:27 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:26 am
I didn't notice that Ralph but now that you mentioned it, you're right
At least the date appears to be in the correct spot. That and an industry leading five year warranty has got to lead to success.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:33 pm

It could be a fantastic watch, but with no brand history and this price point I'd never buy it.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:32 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:33 pm
It could be a fantastic watch, but with no brand history and this price point I'd never buy it.
It seems to be a watch that is nearly there, but fails to deliver. I could swing $2k for a micro on bracelet (consider what an Aegir costs new) if all the nuances were smoothed out. As it sits, I don't think I'd pay over $1k for this one. The design is simply not cohesive in final execution.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:35 pm

I'd own the blue one if it was $1k.
- Todd

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:37 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:35 pm
Agreed. I'd say wait for one on recon, but with only 2 being sold, you might be waiting a while :lol:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Or not. Does this thing really scream "keeper" to anyone? I guess it's possibility that Dad and Mom Monta bought them to make Monta Jr feel better.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:18 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:57 pm
Or not. Does this thing really scream "keeper" to anyone? I guess it's possibility that Dad and Mom Monta bought them to make Monta Jr feel better.
No. But this is hardly a forum where people keep their watches long term. I can only think of 2 or 3 hoarders here off the top of my head.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:49 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
No. But this is hardly a forum where people keep their watches long term. I can only think of 2 or 3 hoarders here off the top of my head.

Yea. Willy, Kev, and whatever is lost in Zack's safe. :lol:

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:51 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Even at $1K I'd have to squint really hard to see past that odd crown and the fact the bezel insert has no lume, not even only on the pip.

The sad truth is, in the $1K micro market, you'd probably be fiscally on more sound footing just buying a Steinhart.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:57 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
Even at $1K I'd have to squint really hard to see past that odd crown and the fact the bezel insert has no lume, not even only on the pip.
It's true, I keep forgetting about the lack of lumed pip. Similar, the only reason I've never tried a Bremont Supermarine (S500) is no lumed seconds hand. Personally I can't get over stuff like that on a diver.

- Todd

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
It's true, I keep forgetting about the lack of lumed pip. Similar, the only reason I've never tried a Bremont Supermarine (S500) is no lumed seconds hand. Personally I can't get over stuff like that on a diver.
Only watch I can see getting away with something like that and still looking good is the Breitling SOH
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:14 am

hoppyjr wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Yea. Willy, Kev, and whatever is lost in Zack's safe. Image
Zack's couch cushions

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:51 am

If I mask the crown I like it a lot, but the crown reminds me of that if the Alpina Startimer... a pilot that's enough to deter me.
Then there is the price, I get the Eterna mvt and all but the brand being unknown and the uncertainty of their future i couldn't commit 3+K for one even with the right crown, not even 2 K.
I like their straps and maybe diversification isn't always a great idea. It's rough start to bring a first watch that isn't a perfectly executed diver with some sort of wow factor at 3.5k. Bad move imho but wish them luck and hope they sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:57 am

Jeep99dad wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:51 am
If I mask the crown I like it a lot, but the crown reminds me of that if the Alpina Startimer... a pilot Image that's enough to deter me.
Then there is the price, I get the Eterna mvt and all but the brand being unknown and the uncertainty of their future i couldn't commit 3+K for one even with the right crown, not even 2 K.
I like their straps and maybe diversification isn't always a great idea. It's rough start to bring a first watch that isn't a perfectly executed diver with some sort of wow factor at 3.5k. Bad move imho but wish them luck and hope they sell.

Doubly so when one of your major order winners is an "industry leading 5 year warranty" when you brand hasn't been around for 5 minutes and doesn't look to have much lasting power.

If I had a million dollar a year watch budget, I might take a flyer on this thing. Otherwise, I just can't see it.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:59 am

Crazy prices for a micro IMO
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:01 am

on some levels, the worst part is that it took a long time for them to realize that they didn't get it and how far they'd overstepped (and i still think they don't quite get it). people can talk themselves into all kinds of stuff with "marketing speak" and start to drink their own kool aid. i'm working with a friend to bring a new alcohol brand to market and there are times i feel like i'm trying to talk him down off of believing his own investor lookbook stuff. what these guys did is a good example of buying your own marketing too much.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:12 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:57 am
Jeep99dad wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:51 am
If I mask the crown I like it a lot, but the crown reminds me of that if the Alpina Startimer... a pilot Image that's enough to deter me.

Doubly so when one of your major order winners is an "industry leading 5 year warranty" when you brand hasn't been around for 5 minutes and doesn't look to have much lasting power.

If I had a million dollar a year watch budget, I might take a flyer on this thing. Otherwise, I just can't see it.
That is another good point. As much as I admire "unique / industry leading designs", when a brand has suspect staying power I get concerned about future service-ability. For example, while it's great they have a unique bezel system, if they are gone in 3 years, where can I get a new click spring if needed?

Eterna is on some shaky financial ground too, so that is another point of concern against the future service-ability movement.

I hate to compare and contrast Monta versus Ginault as they are truly apples and oranges brands, but Ginault started with a very low price and has slowly raised pricing as they built a good reputation and released variants of their core model.

Monta started high and has dramatically reduced their prices over the same period of time. Their new models are also completely different from the Ocean Rover, so there is no ability to save costs by using a common mid case. I'm assuming there was a MOQ for the Ocean Rover cases and Eterna movements, so they are likely sitting on a couple hundred watches.

If they are closing their retail outlets and reverting to online only sales, are their retailers returning stock? If so, that is a lot of incurred costs just sitting right now.

From a purely fiscal perspective, I believe Ginualt is well ahead of Monta over this past 6 month period.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:27 pm

I thought Ginualt had a high price and lowered it if people did a review? Because there were buyers who were pissed since they bought at MSRP.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:38 pm

toxicavenger wrote:I thought Ginualt had a high price and lowered it if people did a review? Because there were buyers who were pissed since they bought at MSRP.
They did, but lately they seem to have less coupons and when a used one is listed FS, it is gone within hrs. They seem to be gaining momentum and have released a few new variant models recently.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:04 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:38 pm
toxicavenger wrote:I thought Ginualt had a high price and lowered it if people did a review? Because there were buyers who were pissed since they bought at MSRP.
They did, but lately they seem to have less coupons and when a used one is listed FS, it is gone within hrs. They seem to be gaining momentum and have released a few new variant models recently.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I am replying to Chris saying Ginualt did the opposite. And they actually didn't, they pretty much crapped on the people who did buy it at MSRP. I don't like Monta enough to pay their asking price for it, but consider it is their own design they hold more water for me then Ginault, which is pretty much a direct copy at a high price point and maybe a few simple mods.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:55 pm

^ Agree. That's assuming that someone actually paid full retail. If they did, then Monta and Ginault equally shit on them, but giving props where it is due, at least Ginault came up with an originalish, albeit un-cohesive design.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:18 pm

I'm only aware of a single person who paid full price for a Ginault. They purposefully did so in order to provide a completely unbiased review.

I've not seen any posts from pissed off consumers who unwittingly paid full boat (but admittedly I don't scout the forums looking for them either).

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:18 pm
I'm only aware of a single person who paid full price for a Ginault. They purposefully did so in order to provide a completely unbiased review.

I've not seen any posts from pissed off consumers who unwittingly paid full boat (but admittedly I don't scout the forums looking for them either).
So every other buyer wrote a biased review in exchange for a discounted watch? I have a philosophical issue with this.

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:39 pm

To me Ginault and these guys at Monta are both snake oil salesmen that are full of their own marketing bullshit. I wouldn't buy from either just based on how they conduct themselves as businesses (and their fanboys, paid or otherwise, only reinforce that). Try to get a straight answer out of either of them... no different. And I'm one of the believers that Ginault is just an attempt to legitimize an existing replica producer. At least Monta isn't coming from that kind of place.
Send lawyers, guns and money...