NTH Devil Ray 500M STP1-11 Sneak Peak

Discussion of microbrand watches
crezo

Re: NTH Devil Ray 500M STP1-11 Sneak Peak

Post by crezo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:54 pm

This is the first nth I've been super excited about. The rest are all really nice but never had that wow factor that made me think I NEED one, and the proportions never seemed quite right (no offence intented) but something never quite clicked with me for some reason. But people rave about the quality of them, so this style I'm in love with and their build quality has to be a win win. I always love supporting micro brands and will be great to finally pick up an nth and see what all the hype is about.

Plus the lume is always killer on NTH watches, so the extra benefit of X1 sounds like this thing is going to be a torch!

I best start pulling some more hours to fund it. Thread subscribed ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:43 am

Not bad at allImage

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:21 am

It looks better for sure. Still too much going on with it. Make the inner grey ring match the dial and it will look better. Also the spring bar holes look pretty close to the case.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:44 am

Much better than the initial renderings.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:51 am

Only thing I dislike is the sawtooth bezel.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:58 am

I still like it. It's different. I like the colors as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Prognosis is good. Might have to snatch the matte light blue dial instead of the baby blue Seaforth.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:11 am

Axelay2003 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:44 pm
Prognosis is good. Might have to snatch the matte light blue dial instead of the baby blue Seaforth.
You're crazy

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:59 am

Hell of a price difference between the Pre-order and regular price.

I am liking more watches are coming with X1 lume
http://www.janistrading.com/devilray/
DevilRay

COMING SOON

**PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE EMAILING WITH QUESTIONS**

The NTH DevilRay is currently being prototyped. What you see below are 3D illustrations, for illustrative purposes only. Colors, textures and finishes may be slightly different in real life.

We will post real-world photographs of the prototypes as soon as we have them. Please follow us on Facebook and Instagram for all the latest pics.

We hope to begin pre-orders sometime in September or October 2017, with delivery targeted for March/April 2018. We hope to have real-world photographs of the prototypes before starting pre-orders.

As soon as we finalize the pre-order start date, we'll announce it in our email newsletter and on social media, and update it here. If it's not updated, it hasn't been set.

Please subscribe to our email newsletter using the form at the bottom of the page, or create a customer account to get all the updates regarding pre-orders.

We do not do pre-orders in installments, just one payment, which will be significantly discounted from the eventual retail price.

Planned pricing for the DevilRay is $700 in-stock, with a limited number of early-bird pre-orders starting at $450, and going up from there.

Planned pricing is subject to change based on updated production cost estimates, and will be announced ahead of time in our email newsletter.

Pre-order prices will go up based on the number sold, and as we near our target delivery date. We STRONGLY recommend you review our best practices for pre-order success prior to pre-orders starting, as well as our pre-order policies, and shipping, warranty & returns info, which includes details about additional discounts available when you pre-order more than one.

For the full history of the DevilRay, from initial concept to finished design, see our blog, starting here.

The DevilRay will be offered in 4 colorways, seen below, all on a bracelet (that is the ONLY option), and each available with a choice of date window at 6 o'clock, or no date, with these specs:

CASE – 316L Stainless Steel with 120-click unidirectional bezel, engraved & lumed screw-down crown, and stamped & engraved case-back with custom DevilRay image.

DIMENSIONS – 43mm Ø x 46mm lug length x 14mm thickness with 22mm lugs.

BEZEL INSERT - X1-Superluminova-lumed DLC-coated 316L stainless steel.

CRYSTAL – Double-domed anti-reflective sapphire.

WATER RESISTANCE – 500m / 1640 feet / 50 ATM

MOVEMENT – Swiss Technology Production automatic calibre STP1-11.

DIAL - Sunray finish on Black and Silver/White dials. Matte finish on Orange and Turquoise dials.

DATE WHEEL - The black dial will have a black date wheel. The others will all be white.

LUME (Dial, hands and bezel) - Brighter, longer-lasting X1 Swiss Superluminova, pale green C5 on Black and Silver/White dials, GL White on Orange and Turquoise.

BRACELET - Custom-designed 5-link "tank-tread" bracelet with solid end-links and ratcheting expansion clasp, sized for wrists from 6" to 8.5".

These designs are FINAL. Lugs cannot be drilled through because of the location of the lug holes.
Whatever change you might want to suggest, we've already considered it, and we're not changing it. Any suggestions sent to us will be obliterated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:29 am

mikeylacroix wrote:Not bad at allImage
I do like this one a lot. I don't know if it's the angle and the fact it's just a rendering but the lug holes seem like they could be pushed back outward a bit ?

Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:30 am

$450 is a great price

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:31 am

Joeprez wrote:Only thing I dislike is the sawtooth bezel.
That is the only negative aspect for me too, but that's a matter of preference

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:37 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:21 am
It looks better for sure. Still too much going on with it. Make the inner grey ring match the dial and it will look better. Also the spring bar holes look pretty close to the case.
I was saying the same thing earlier. But he put this is his description "
These designs are FINAL. Lugs cannot be drilled through because of the location of the lug holes. Whatever change you might want to suggest, we've already considered it, and we're not changing it. Any suggestions sent to us will be obliterated." So I guess that means "F-off" :mrgreen:
Jeep99dad wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:29 am
I do like this one a lot. I don't know if it's the angle and the fact it's just a rendering but the lug holes seem like they could be pushed back outward a bit ?

docvail
Name: Chris Vail

Post by docvail » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:09 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:37 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
These designs are FINAL. Lugs cannot be drilled through because of the location of the lug holes. Whatever change you might want to suggest, we've already considered it, and we're not changing it. Any suggestions sent to us will be obliterated." So I guess that means "F-off" :mrgreen:
Nope. It just means the design is final, already being prototyped, and I wanted to save people the time and energy of sending me suggested changes.

Some, perhaps many micro-brand owners will show a design to the public and ask for feedback, for the purposes of making revisions based on that feedback. It seems like many in the public now believe that every new design from a micro brand is subject to public review and approval. I've even seen people get angry when a micro doesn't accept their proposed changes. Some guys take this hobby way too seriously.

I don't do design by committee. When I show it to people, it's final, the only exception being subtle things we might change after getting the prototypes. Having to explain over and over again that the designs are final, and I wasn't looking for suggested revisions, gets old, so I try to be very up front about it all. If I sound like a smartass, it's because I am. Nothing personal, I don't want anyone's suggestions after we spent the last 7+ months just to get this far.

If you don't like what we're doing, that's okay, no hard feelings. Hope you like something else we do some other time. But we're not changing anything once we've revealed it. That's not how we work. Suggestions will be obliterated.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Perhaps the word obliterated is misused? Maybe politely ignored?

docvail

Post by docvail » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:13 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:26 pm
Perhaps the word obliterated is misused? Maybe politely ignored?
It's humor.

Truth - It's exceedingly rare for me to deliberately ignore an email. If I do, odds are it's some sort of nasty-gram from some sad soul with nothing better to do. I won't say "emails will be politely ignored" for the simple fact that it's not true.

You're sending me a suggestion in an email, I'm probably giving you a courteous response, in which I probably explain that the designs are final, or why I can't or won't use your suggestion. There's a high likelihood I may even thank you for taking the time.

But, also truth - it's a waste of time, and I'd rather people didn't email me with suggestions, so I can skip having to bang out that response. I've been insanely consistent on this, going all the way back to the start of my business. I don't do design by committee. I don't want your suggestions.

"Suggestion emails will be politely ignored" is almost an invitation for people to email me. You don't even know how many emails I get, many from people who start out with, "I know you said you don't want emails, but..."

"Obliterated" makes it clear I don't want them, really, I don't, but that I still have a sense of humor about it all. What's to be offended by in that? The idea that I'd "obliterate" an email? It's an email. It's not you. It's hyperbole.

If people think I'm grumpy, good, if it keeps them from emailing me those suggestions. I'm really not grumpy, as anyone who's ever corresponded with me, and all my customers know.

My customers understand it's mostly an act, and they get it. It's part of the shtick.

Those who don't get it are often the exact sorts of overly-anal, self-absorbed customers who are most likely to make big problems out of small problems, and they're doing us both a favor if they buy from someone else.

So...it works well for me.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:17 pm

docvail wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Nope. It just means the design is final, already being prototyped, and I wanted to save people the time and energy of sending me suggested changes.

Some, perhaps many micro-brand owners will show a design to the public and ask for feedback, for the purposes of making revisions based on that feedback. It seems like many in the public now believe that every new design from a micro brand is subject to public review and approval. I've even seen people get angry when a micro doesn't accept their proposed changes. Some guys take this hobby way too seriously.

I don't do design by committee. When I show it to people, it's final, the only exception being subtle things we might change after getting the prototypes. Having to explain over and over again that the designs are final, and I wasn't looking for suggested revisions, gets old, so I try to be very up front about it all. If I sound like a smartass, it's because I am. Nothing personal, I don't want anyone's suggestions after we spent the last 7+ months just to get this far.

If you don't like what we're doing, that's okay, no hard feelings. Hope you like something else we do some other time. But we're not changing anything once we've revealed it. That's not how we work. Suggestions will be obliterated.

Honestly, I'm glad you do it like this. You make the watch, and whoever buys it, buys it. While I do not currently own any of your watches, I know you sell a lot of watches so it shows what you do works.

I get so aggravated every time I am on Facebook and see another post by another brand doing design by committee. To me, you should just design a watch and stand by it. When you do design by committee, everyone has different opinions and no matter what you choose, there will be people that do not like the choice, the same way if you didn't do design by committee, so I really do not understand the point of it.

docvail

Post by docvail » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:42 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:17 pm
docvail wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Honestly, I'm glad you do it like this. You make the watch, and whoever buys it, buys it. While I do not currently own any of your watches, I know you sell a lot of watches so it shows what you do works.

I get so aggravated every time I am on Facebook and see another post by another brand doing design by committee. To me, you should just design a watch and stand by it. When you do design by committee, everyone has different opinions and no matter what you choose, there will be people that do not like the choice, the same way if you didn't do design by committee, so I really do not understand the point of it.

Cheers, mate.

Not everyone gets what we're doing. Lots of people want to have it their way. I didn't kamikaze my sales career because I'm good at taking direction from other people. I like going my own way.

Everyone's welcome on my bus, but I'm driving. Grab a seat, hold onto your beer, and get ready for a good time, but this seat's barely big enough for my fat ass, don't try to squeeze in next to me. That won't be good for anybody.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:51 pm

^^Well said. Unfortunately it's society today whereas people think they should get their way, since their mommy told them it was ok.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
docvail wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

I agree. While some one-off forum project is cool and fun, there always are a bunch who get all butt hurt because their idea doesn't win the poll ImageImage

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:41 pm

toxicavenger wrote:I want to like it. Too much going on. Maybe it is those fake reflections on the raised markers? And I would get rid of the dark gray color in between the hour markers to limit the busyness of it. Like I tell myself when trying on makeup, less is more. But I have to cover the stubble and even then I'm not passable. It doesn't matter because I still feel pretty.
:shock:

:lol:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:55 pm

Lolz

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:58 pm

-
DEATH FROM ABOVE

DEMO

Post by DEMO » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:56 am

I'm really liking the new 3D CAD renderings. I'm in! That black sunbust dial version is calling my name.

Chris, send me a prototype & I'll shoot some photos so we can all get a better look. :thumbsup:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:05 am

How do we buy it ? Anyone have a link?

DEATH FROM ABOVE