NTH Devil Ray 500M STP1-11 Sneak Peak

Discussion of microbrand watches
rhorya

Re: NTH Devil Ray 500M STP1-11 Sneak Peak

Post by rhorya » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Anyway I jumped on the black at pre order. Can't wait to see it in person. I'll rotate it in the collection so I won't get bored too quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:59 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:43 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:02 pm
It's a normal bezel away from being really nice. The james bond buzz saw sucks.
I hope the founder doesn't read your comment. If he does, expect a 1 page dissertation about the aesthetic necessity of the bezel for design cohesion.
to be fair to Docvail... I listened to the podcast he did about the micro-market recently and he made a lot of good points. Chris is actually better understood in voice rather than in written word, in my opinion. the written responses and explanations on forums and FB come across a bit aggressive. Doc said the same basic things in the interview but he came across better and you can understand his passion, and at the same time frustration.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:57 pm

justsellbrgs wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:59 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
I hope the founder doesn't read your comment. If he does, expect a 1 page dissertation about the aesthetic necessity of the bezel for design cohesion.
to be fair to Docvail... I listened to the podcast he did about the micro-market recently and he made a lot of good points. Chris is actually better understood in voice rather than in written word, in my opinion. the written responses and explanations on forums and FB come across a bit aggressive. Doc said the same basic things in the interview but he came across better and you can understand his passion, and at the same time frustration.
I listened to it also and I really liked it. Which is surprising because online he comes off a egomaniac. https://wristwatchreview.com/2017/10/20 ... -lew-huey/

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:20 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
justsellbrgs wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:59 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
I listened to it also and I really liked it. Which is surprising because online he comes off a egomaniac. https://wristwatchreview.com/2017/10/20 ... -lew-huey/
Sometimes emotions are poorly converted into words. He's handed the criticism in this thread with a ton of tact.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

docvail
Name: Chris Vail

Post by docvail » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:30 pm

Gentlemen - I'll be at the microbrands meetup in DC this Sunday. If any of you are close enough, and able to attend, you're welcome to stop by my table to check out the DevilRay protos and other samples we'll have on hand.

And to punch me in the face, or whatever. I swear I won't act like I didn't at least somewhat have it coming.

Details on the meetup here - https://www.microbrandmeetup.com/

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:40 pm

^^^

The only interaction I’ve seen of you Doc is here- and I think you’re funny.

I hope to pre order a black one very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

NTH Devil Ray 500M STP1-11 Sneak Peak

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:44 pm

docvail wrote:
And to punch me in the face, or whatever. I swear I won't act like I didn't at least somewhat have it coming./
Oh god dammit! Now I wish I was going!

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:52 pm

i'm tentatively going. just depends on whether they need me nearby at the national building museum to help with the canstruction buildout. if not, i'm planning on coming by.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:12 pm

docvail wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:30 pm
Gentlemen - I'll be at the microbrands meetup in DC this Sunday. If any of you are close enough, and able to attend, you're welcome to stop by my table to check out the DevilRay protos and other samples we'll have on hand.

And to punch me in the face, or whatever. I swear I won't act like I didn't at least somewhat have it coming.

Aquadive!..... If Bill is at the table be sure to grab every watch, including the one on his wrist, and spin the bezels..... :shock:
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:09 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:44 pm
docvail wrote:
And to punch me in the face, or whatever. I swear I won't act like I didn't at least somewhat have it coming./
Oh god dammit! Now I wish I was going!

tag team? :think: :mrgreen:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:10 pm

justsellbrgs wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:12 pm
docvail wrote:

Aquadive!..... If Bill is at the table be sure to grab every watch, including the one on his wrist, and spin the bezels..... :shock:
Hard to believe Aquajive is still in business, they never respond to their customers on their forum.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:44 pm

justsellbrgs wrote:
docvail wrote:

I really wish that thread could be dug up.... but it’s been proven by mult people’s searches that it’s been buried. Too bad, it was a fun one.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 pm

BBK357 wrote:
justsellbrgs wrote:
docvail wrote:

I really wish that thread could be dug up.... but it’s been proven by mult people’s searches that it’s been buried. Too bad, it was a fun one.
Which thread?
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Champagne InHand

Post by Champagne InHand » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:20 pm

I like some of Chris’s watches. I’m not a fan of this one just because it is way to busy for me. The same basic cushioned cased with circular polish can be found on many aSeiko turtle which enthusiasts have had made into almost every possible metal as well as adding a different bezel, bezel insert, chapter ring.... its one of the most easily modded dive watches in the world and it still works like a champ.

I wear one occasionally, that I had a double domed sapphire put in with a laser etched sea turtle at the top of the dome. I also put in a coin edged bezel.

Bezel inserts are a personal thing. I may end up with the lumed ceramic bezel insert, but for now I have the original Pepsi insert. I quite like the crown at the 4 o’clock position as well. I’ve kept the original hands but I’ve seen these types of hands and many dial switch outs.

I too am not a fan of the rainbow part of the watch. I don’t like how busy the watch is from bezel ring all the way in.

If I want a GMT function than I will buy a GMT complication in the watch. I’m just not big on anybody needing to track 3 time zones.

It’s a globe . We have 24 total zones. The math is not that hard. If you have more than 2 time zones, then may I suggest a non diver world timer or perhaps a pilots type watch.

I do like the creativity, but the watch isn’t for me. I did love and am wearing the Amphion Modern as I type this.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:24 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 pm
BBK357 wrote:
justsellbrgs wrote:
docvail wrote:

Which thread?
Where Bill flipped out about his bezel getting turned on his watch.