Borealis Medusa

Discussion of microbrand watches
dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: Borealis Medusa

Post by dnslater » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:56 am

gwells wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:02 pm
borealis loses me with the "logo." and i have to put that in quotes, because it's just the word "borealis" in times new roman. it may have been done in powerpoint. if you can't at least go beyond the default microsoft fonts, ugh.
This bugs me as well. Glad I'm not the only one.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Borealis Medusa

Post by andrema » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:45 pm

dnslater wrote:
gwells wrote:
borealis loses me with the "logo." and i have to put that in quotes, because it's just the word "borealis" in times new roman. it may have been done in powerpoint. if you can't at least go beyond the default microsoft fonts, ugh.
It could've been worse, comic serif

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:54 pm

These watches exist only because people feel the need to constantly buy new watches, yet can't afford to do so while buying real watches.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:17 pm

andrema wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:45 pm
dnslater wrote:
gwells wrote:
that's like stepping in dog shit and saying, "it could have been worse, it could have splattered up on your pants leg."

watches503
Name: Luis

Post by watches503 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:44 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:These watches exist only because people feel the need to constantly buy new watches, yet can't afford to do so while buying real watches.
Please define "real watches" and give some examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:13 pm

A watch that doesn't look like it was made in MS paint would be a minimum qualification. Don't be obtuse though. I'm sure you know exactly I mean. Nomos is a real watch. A catalog micro is a toy for men who can't do without spending money.

Real watch
Throw away watch
Toy watch.

Figure it out.

watches503

Post by watches503 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:43 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:A watch that doesn't look like it was made in MS paint would be a minimum qualification. Don't be obtuse though. I'm sure you know exactly I mean. Nomos is a real watch. A catalog micro is a toy for men who can't do without spending money.

Real watch
Throw away watch
Toy watch.

Figure it out.
It was an honest question. A real watch just needs tells the time , to me. Even if it's an Apple Watch. So I was curious to see what you thought as we all have different opinions. Some have humble opinions and some don't, but that's part of the beauty of this hobby. Having different tastes, budgets and opinions.

I've yet to see a Nomos that looks desirable to me. That doesn't mean I'm calling them ugly. They generally look like a watch I'd love to see my 3yr old daughter wear, but that doesn't mean I'm calling them feminine toy watches. I can afford one but no thank you.

We all like different stuff and isn't that a good thing ?

Wearing a real Microbrand watch today, by the way:

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:12 pm

I'm not digging the "real watches" vs "toy watches" thing either. Don't get me wrong. The Borealis font looks awful. (Hate to say it but same with Bernhardt.)

THAT SAID, there are good watches that don't have to be one of the more heavily marketed brands you get at a jewelry store. I mean, if this was an Omega, Rolex or Breitling forum, I could understand that kind of response. But here at DWC? I didn't think we'd become a bunch of watch snobs here. If you don't like the micro-brands you find here in the MIRCOBRAND FORUM, then you're missing the ENTIRE POINT.
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Borealis Medusa

Post by matt.wu » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Though his bedside manner leaves much to be desired, JP has a valid point in differentiating. It has nothing to do with snobbery. It has everything to do with originality, design, and WORK.

Checking boxes on a Chinese catalog order form, designing a dial in Photoshop after taking one semester of night-classes at a JC, and putting the entire order on your Costco VISA is very different from someone who truly is creating a brand and investing an appropriate amount of effort.

Halios, AEgir, SAS/Mileata, even H2O... all real, creative brands, regardless of price point. Work was put into making it a real business to be proud of.

So many other micro brands just steal designs or piece together catalog parts in hopes of making a quick buck on the side.

If you can't see there's a difference, then we'll agree to disagree, but don't call me a snob, and I won't call you unprincipled.

:)

:htfu:

watches503

Post by watches503 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:14 am

Borealis hasn't used catalog cases or catalog anything for a lot of years since that lame Kobold diver homage.

andrema

Post by andrema » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:05 am

gwells wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:17 pm
andrema wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:45 pm
dnslater wrote:
gwells wrote:
that's like stepping in dog shit and saying, "it could have been worse, it could have splattered up on your pants leg."
:think: :shrug: :thumbsup:

andrema

Post by andrema » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:10 am

Seppia wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:31 am
matt.wu wrote:It has everything to do with originality, design, and WORK.
Many of the "new" designs I see today from some of the most respected brands look just like a more polished version (mostly attributable to the difference in budgets) of what you are claiming some micros are doing.

95% of Omega latest offerings are either copies of older models or they suck.

Rolex just released an inflated Sub and called it the new seadweller.

IWC is cranking out copies of their older models, only a bit worse because of shitty date placement.

I see most of the industry lacking in originality, not only the micro level.

Borealis offers great watches for the money, allowing a lot of people with smaller budgets to enjoy a hobby they love.

Most of their offerings don't do anything for me, but I don't understand what the problem is.
The difference is that the examples that you provided above are copies or homages to watches that those brands actually designed. See the difference?

Designs are allowed to suck. There are many that do, at all price points...if they are honest attempts, they tend to get a little more respect on DWC than if they borrow from another brand's efforts on the design front and borrow their IP.

Just my take.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:29 am

It isn't the person who has one micro brand homage watch that grates me that much. It is the person who has a collection full of micro brand homage watches.

It is the difference between the guy who has one Tiffany song in his playlist because its a catchy tune and makes him smile versus the guy who buys the entire Tiffany album.

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:38 am

:popcorn:

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Borealis Medusa

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:41 am

Ryeguy wrote:It isn't the person who has one micro brand homage watch that grates me that much. It is the person who has a collection full of micro brand homage watches.

It is the difference between the guy who has one Tiffany song in his playlist because its a catchy tune and makes him smile versus the guy who buys the entire Tiffany album.

http://youtu.be/lhzyQ89ElEE[/youtube]

Why would it grate on you?

Years ago, I used to be bothered by what others wore or bought. Probably because I was young. I'm not saying I still don't initially judge, I do, it's ingrained in all of us. But I am trying to break it and step back and question why I'm so judgmental at times.

People are all different. We are discussing watches here, not views on world leadership and government.

So some people love micro homages and have a bunch of them. So what. Does it make them less intelligent? Does it make them a bad person? Do they have bad taste? Well, your taste may differ than theirs, but it doesn't make it bad.

I honestly try and do my own things these days and let others do the same. There are guys here with 6 very similar looking Rolex's. I don't really get it, but I don't look down on them because of it either.

When it comes to a watch, I give my opinion on it (it is what I do daily with reviews), but I don't care who likes what and who doesn't. These type of conversations have been going on for almost 2 decades on forums of all kinds.

Just like what you like and let others do the same.

Do we really care what watches others wear? Seriously. I have a few friends who still wear invicta. I never say a word. They like them. If they Were to ask my opinion, I'll give it. But I don't offer it up.
I bet I can come to your house and not agree with many of the design choices, furniture, etc etc, but why would I shit all over it?
It's what you like and I don't have to live there.

You don't have to wear others watches and they are not using your money to buy them.

We live in such a self centered world that revolves around money and possessions and what kind of shoes/cars/watches someone has. It's just stuff, it's just stuff.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:47 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:54 pm
These watches exist only because people feel the need to constantly buy new watches, yet can't afford to do so while buying real watches.
Yeah, there is a guy I know on another forum that buys every $500-$600 micro diver that comes out, and yet when a great $2k diver comes out, complains that it is not affordable, despite his collection of 20+ catalog boutique divers..

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:21 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:41 am
Ryeguy wrote:It isn't the person who has one micro brand homage watch that grates me that much. It is the person who has a collection full of micro brand homage watches.

http://youtu.be/lhzyQ89ElEE[/youtube]

Why would it grate on you?

Years ago, I used to be bothered by what others wore or bought. Probably because I was young. I'm not saying I still don't initially judge, I do, it's ingrained in all of us. But I am trying to break it and step back and question why I'm so judgmental at times.

People are all different. We are discussing watches here, not views on world leadership and government.

So some people love micro homages and have a bunch of them. So what. Does it make them less intelligent? Does it make them a bad person? Do they have bad taste? Well, your taste may differ than theirs, but it doesn't make it bad.

I honestly try and do my own things these days and let others do the same. There are guys here with 6 very similar looking Rolex's. I don't really get it, but I don't look down on them because of it either.

When it comes to a watch, I give my opinion on it (it is what I do daily with reviews), but I don't care who likes what and who doesn't. These type of conversations have been going on for almost 2 decades on forums of all kinds.

Just like what you like and let others do the same.

Do we really care what watches others wear? Seriously. I have a few friends who still wear invicta. I never say a word. They like them. If they Were to ask my opinion, I'll give it. But I don't offer it up.
I bet I can come to your house and not agree with many of the design choices, furniture, etc etc, but why would I shit all over it?
It's what you like and I don't have to live there.

You don't have to wear others watches and they are not using your money to buy them.

We live in such a self centered world that revolves around money and possessions and what kind of shoes/cars/watches someone has. It's just stuff, it's just stuff.

The reason that I care is not because I care what people like/dislike, but because when people choose to spend money on brands that copy designs or picks parts from a catalog, it encourages the behavior.
:htfu:

gwells

Post by gwells » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:31 am

dnslater wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:47 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:54 pm
Yeah, there is a guy I know on another forum that buys every $500-$600 micro diver that comes out, and yet when a great $2k diver comes out, complains that it is not affordable, despite his collection of 20+ catalog boutique divers..
right, but some people are just douchebags and idiots and are just looking for stupid things to complain about. that's not the microbrands' fault.

lumping microbrands buyers with the people who act like that is no different that lumping all the rolex owners on DWC with that douchebag who takes his rolex wrist selfies in the bathroom pointing at the mirror.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:34 am

matt.wu wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:21 am
The reason that I care is not because I care what people like/dislike, but because when people choose to spend money on brands that copy designs or picks parts from a catalog, it encourages the behavior.
Bingo, copying intellectual property that someone has created hurts those of us who design for a living.

gwells

Post by gwells » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:36 am

and i say what i did abovve acknowledging that there are a lot of micros out there that just aren't trying, they're taking the easy way and grabbing a buck. or fooling themselves into thinking they're original.

i said it before, there are several tiers of micros. folks that run respectable operations and do reasonably original things, like matt mentioned above (halios, mileata, etc.), feel like legit watch designers, just small operations. there are some in between, like borealis, who churn out "homages," (some closer to homage, some outright copies with their names slapped on them). and then there's a gazillion kickstarters, 1 in 300 of which is bringing anything worth even considering into the market.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:55 pm

I didn't mean to touch a nerve there, Don. I was just trying to be a bit funny.

I believe micro brands who build homages have their place in the watch world. The Mil Sub is a classic example. The only way 99.99% of us who like that style are going to be able to wear one is by buying a homage from a micro brand.

There are really only two things that I find distasteful in the whole micro brand world:
- when a micro blatantly copies a design that is still currently being sold by the original manufacturer (Deep Blue Nato Diver springs to mind)
- when some muppet goes on and on about how their "homage" (speaking to the case above) is better than the original ("its got an HE valve and sapphire crystal and 100 meters more water resistance! It is better than a Seiko!" Those comments make me :doh:

andrema

Borealis Medusa

Post by andrema » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:02 pm

The thing that I find entertaining is the folks that talk down the innovative/established brands, who have in-house movements/components and have horological integrity. Be it the Invicta guys talking smack about the Submariner not being worth it or microbrand folks that say that the established, historical brands are ugly, too small or feminine.

Many folks in the WIS community do appreciate a watch for what it is, no matter the price...be it a lower to mid cost vintage, with history...like the Mikes bring to DWC, or the heavier hitters here who have the fantastic high end vintage or new models. The innovation and craftsmanship is the thing that keeps many in the hobby, not the next preorder or flip...then again, there are many who are in it for that too.

If you like a watch and cannot afford it, go ahead and buy a homage...but don't do it and trash the original maker. It makes no sense...without the original maker and developer of the IP/design, that homage brand would not exist and there would be no demand for their product.
Last edited by andrema on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

gwells

Post by gwells » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:26 pm

:cheers:

i can get on board with those sentiments.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:23 pm

I had a great conversation about homages recently:

ImageImageImageImageImage
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:28 pm

^^^ If anyone believes those don't exist with fake Seiko dials somewhere and sold as reps through other channels, they're simply being naive.
- Todd