Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:49 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:16 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:06 pm
hoppyjr wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:57 am
If we are being honest with ourselves this is the case with every micro/boutique watch brand. Sure they are around today and have spares, but the future is uncertain. Kobold is a good example and when we think of them 3-5 years ago they were pretty well regarded. If they can take such a hard fall then it can happen to anyone.

It’s largely why I’ll be avoiding any small brand watch that is over $1k or so. Figure those under a grand are potentially “disposable” and it’s all good. For long term service & parts availability we really need to stick to the big boys. I’d say Sinn goes with the established brands based on their size, history, and continued popularity.
I agree with you on this Hop. Ironically, this is one of the things that makes a brand like Ginault "interesting" (note: I didn't say "good" or "admirable" - "interesting" covers a pretty broad spectrum of activities).

The Ginault Ocean Rover is a direct replication of a 5 digit Rolex Submariner case. The only difference is the click spring is mounted 180* off from a Sub (so you lever from the opposite side to remove the bezel). As far as I can tell, all potential wear items related to the case (seals, crown tube, click spring, crystal, bezel insert, bezel retention spring, etc.) are replaceable with aftermarket (or authentic) Rolex parts.

The movement is an ETA 2824-2 copy with the only deviation being the pinion height and shock resistance.

I guess if you flooded the watch and pooched the dial and handset you would be a bit hosed, but even then there are enough dial vendors out there and handset vendors I think you could find a decent replacement.

So on one hand, we disdain Ginault for replicating a case design, but when looked at from a maintainability perspective, it actually makes sense to do this given the absolute wealth of spare parts available in the market.
Basically you are saying it is good they have copied a design. :cheers: I guess those Invicta's are good to go then also. :roll:
No. I said that Ginault's nearly exact copying of the 5 digit Sub case design gives the buyer access to a wealth of after market spare parts. I never said it was good.

In fact I think I went out of my way to say it wasn't good.

If someone wants to buy a unique design micro, the risk of future parts availability needs to be factored into the buying decision. I'd say this about Vertex, or Monta, or any of them.
I agree Chris. And I was just pulling your leg, that is why I use this :cheers: :roll: at the end of my statement.

:neener:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: Kobold watch parts,..........

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:20 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:31 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:46 am
^ I didn’t say price was a factor. I’m avoiding micros over $1k or so as I see them as potential wasted money due to future parts availability.
Oh okay I agree with you there, kind of. If I think about the future that far out then I am not buying any watches at all. Image

So does the Vertex fall in this category? :scratch:
At this point it’s clear you just like being a pain in the ass.
What?? So how does Vertex not fall into the category you mentioned? And If I recall I was trying to sell parts to guys who might them, but you choose to come here an talk about how buying microbrands in this price category was a bad idea.

So who was being the pain in the ass now???? :mrgreen:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:42 pm

Current parts:
(3) Large crowns with tubes, no MK logo, polished
(2) Small crowns (Seal, small SD) with tubes, MK logo, polished with tube.
(1) Small crown with tube dlc, with logo
(7) 20mm lug bar pairs, polished
(10) 22mm lug bar pairs, polished

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:44 pm

Hey Terry, I appreciate what you did with the Kobold parts and know what it took for you to get the parts I needed. I am grateful for that.

You have always gone out of your way to do right by people and I don’t think a lot of people know that, or know the effort you put in that people don’t see.

You tried. That’s a lot more than those that just complain can claim. Let them fend for themselves, you’ve got a great business to run.

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:45 pm

toxicavenger wrote:Current parts:
Prices?

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Kobold watch parts,..........

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:48 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:31 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:46 am
^ I didn’t say price was a factor. I’m avoiding micros over $1k or so as I see them as potential wasted money due to future parts availability.
Oh okay I agree with you there, kind of. If I think about the future that far out then I am not buying any watches at all. Image

So does the Vertex fall in this category? :scratch:
At this point it’s clear you just like being a pain in the ass.
What?? So how does Vertex not fall into the category you mentioned? And If I recall I was trying to sell parts to guys who might them, but you choose to come here an talk about how buying microbrands in this price category was a bad idea.

So who was being the pain in the ass now???? Image
I didn’t say anything negative about you selling parts for Kobold watches. In fact, I though it a good idea.

I also made clear that micro/boutique brands are potentially disposable and used Kobold as an example of why. I didn’t exclude Vertex or any other brand. I also didn’t say buying them was a bad idea, but I believe my point was clear to anyone who actually read the post.

:bird:

Here’s an extra for later..... :bird:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:50 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:Current parts:
Prices?
3 magic beans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Kobold watch parts,..........

Post by BBK357 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:31 pm

Edit
The kind you flick

🥓
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:54 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:44 pm
Hey Terry, I appreciate what you did with the Kobold parts and know what it took for you to get the parts I needed. I am grateful for that.

You have always gone out of your way to do right by people and I don’t think a lot of people know that, or know the effort you put in that people don’t see.

You tried. That’s a lot more than those that just complain can claim. Let them fend for themselves, you’ve got a great business to run.
:salute:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:04 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:Hey Terry, I appreciate what you did with the Kobold parts and know what it took for you to get the parts I needed. I am grateful for that.

Not sure what all that ^ is about, but not a single person in this thread complained about him selling parts nor did anyone complain about his customer service.