Something you just don't see everyday but...

Toilet-tested and good to go!

Moderator: toxicavenger

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Something you just don't see everyday but...

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:01 am

logan2z wrote:
sierra11b wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:These are cool watches, by at 42mm they're way too big (for me) for what they are. It's a shame that the 38mm dornbluth is so expensive.
For what you're getting i think it's a pretty good deal. What's great about Dirk is you can do whatever you want whenever. For shits and giggles I got a quote on a 18k case for when I send it back. It was under $5k :shock: if there was an option to upgrade cases with the big boys you'd be out $12k

And if you think it's still too expesive my 99.1 was the best wafch experiencd I had. Don't do watchbuys... Go straight to the man and get exactly what you want.
My one concern with Dornblueth is that he's basically a one man show. If he wakes up one day and says 'screw this watch thing' then I'm not sure where that leaves owners. But the watches really appeal to me and may be worth the admittedly small risk.

The bigger ones use a common base movement IIRC. The smaller ones are I think are in house, hence the difference in price. I share Andrew's concerns about the smaller watches.

I'd probably take the IWC FA Jones watch if I wanted a 42mm dress watch - which I don't.

Dornbluth is definitely the path less traveled, which I can respect.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:12 am

JP Chestnut wrote: The bigger ones use a common base movement IIRC.
They do, but my understanding is that they're heavily modified and therefore pseudo in-house. But I don't know enough about the modifications to say whether any watchmaker who knows his way around a 6497 could service the movement.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:13 am

I addressed this concern heavily before I purchased.

I also bought the 99.1 because it was based on the unitas and i'm sure a lot of watch makers can service. Even if they had to source an undecorated part decades from now I bet they could keep her running. We know RGM can and provide a level of service today and finishing to boot.

I feel the concern is inflated by some would-be buyers... The same people who question Dornbluth despite their basic movements will jizz over FP Journe without any question on serviceability. Richmonte would buy FP Journe in half a second if they could but would that make servicing your Chronometre bleu twice as expensive? Would they even touch it decades from now if Mr. Journe was out of the picture? I'm fairly confident some local watchmaker could at least perform a service on the virtual pocket watch movement inside my 99.1.

I'd be curious to know what Dirk's plans are. I know he has two young kids and his older sister is a head watchmaker at the company. Not sure if she has any children willing to learn the trade and take the helm? I also know they expanded the shop big time for the Quintus so hopefully business is still good. I should email him and ask him what his wait time is just to get an idea of business.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:26 am

The other thing that often puts the brakes on my Dornblueth 99.1 purchase is the existence of the Stowa MO. It feels like about 90% of the watch for 25% of the price.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Good point.

greenlightning
The Dude
Name: Kris

Post by greenlightning » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:36 pm

The stowa is nice, but the movement decoration is nowhere near the dornbluth. Dornbluth is probably the best finished movement of anything in its price range, imo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:56 pm

TSD wrote:
dukerules wrote:
matt.wu wrote:And I want a Weiss too
The next DWC forum favorite?
My watchmaker's son works with Weiss. He's a good watchmaker apparently, and I think he moved to L.A. to help Weiss get it going. I've wanted to ping him anyway, and am reading this wondering if we could get a forum watch buy through the guy.

Educate me on what model and handset/finishes we would go with, if this something enough of us would want. Then I can ping him.
I'm in for a white or mocha dial. Standard case finishing and handset works for me.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:27 pm

greenlightning wrote:The stowa is nice, but the movement decoration is nowhere near the dornbluth. Dornbluth is probably the best finished movement of anything in its price range, imo
No argument there. But the Stowa is pretty nicely decorated (blued screws, Geneva stripes, snailing of the wheels), although it doesn't have the detailed engraving of the Dornblueth. But it's about $1200 vs $4500.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:32 pm

I like the Weiss logo about a million times more than the new Stowa logo. It's the only reason I don't own an MO.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:38 pm

The stowa would be better totally sterile.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:49 pm

dukerules wrote:I like the Weiss logo about a million times more than the new Stowa logo. It's the only reason I don't own an MO.
I prefer the old Stowa logo to the new one, but I don't find the new one nearly as offensive as the Weiss logo.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Count me in the camp of Weiss logo > new Stowa. And also, I think, given the price difference, it's silly to compare Dornbluth to Weiss. :)
:htfu:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:43 pm

matt.wu wrote:Count me in the camp of Weiss logo > new Stowa. And also, I think, given the price difference, it's silly to compare Dornbluth to Weiss. :)
Weiss : Dornbluth

As

Orient : Rolex Sub

:stir:

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:16 pm

matt.wu wrote:Count me in the camp of Weiss logo > new Stowa.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:23 pm

john mcenroe is so lucky he went bald.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:39 pm

dukerules wrote:
TSD wrote:
dukerules wrote:
matt.wu wrote:And I want a Weiss too
The next DWC forum favorite?
My watchmaker's son works with Weiss. He's a good watchmaker apparently, and I think he moved to L.A. to help Weiss get it going. I've wanted to ping him anyway, and am reading this wondering if we could get a forum watch buy through the guy.

Educate me on what model and handset/finishes we would go with, if this something enough of us would want. Then I can ping him.
I'm in for a white or mocha dial. Standard case finishing and handset works for me.
That would rock Tom!!! I would totally be in. My only concern is I see Macy's sells Weiss watches now. WTF????

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:57 am

Looks great. :thumbsup: