Toxic Screwdrivers ideas?

Toilet-tested and good to go!

Moderator: toxicavenger

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Toxic Screwdrivers ideas?

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:29 pm

Okay here is the deal. The prices of screwdrivers are all over the place, they get stupid expensive to get a decent set. But I have few sets and one of them is really reasonable in price that I am thinking about carrying. They are made in the US and they are super easy to pack so you can travel with them. Instead of carrying individual tools I want to carry a set that has one handle with multiple tips for pack-ability.

Specifications:
Overall Length: 4 inches
Drive: Slotted
6 Blades: 0.025, 0.040, 0.055, 0.070, 0.080, 0.100 (Slotted) inches
Number of Pieces: 7

This set will hopefully be under $10 if the manufacture will work with me on them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: Toxic Screwdrivers ideas?

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:34 pm

Get screwed, Toxic style!

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:18 pm

Should be very useful

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:28 pm

:stir:

Will they be sold in pairs?

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:29 pm

Target. $5 but plastic handle. I like Terry's version better.
The Hapa

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:31 pm

gonzomantis wrote::stir:

Will they be sold in pairs?
I was thinking the exact same thing.
The Hapa

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:52 pm

Are these flat ground, or do they taper? Too many cheap ones taper and screw up your screws.

Marjak
Name: Mart

Post by Marjak » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:59 pm

For me the most important thing is the quality of the tips as I have damaged many screws and screwdriver tips over the years. When I need especially the smaller sizes, it's for working on the movement which I don't do anywhere else then at home. So, I rather have a set of screwdrivers of high quality then a single one with various exchangeable bits of lower quality. Just my 2 cents...
- Mart -

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:01 pm

Exactly what I was looking for :thumbsup:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:30 am

JP Chestnut wrote:Are these flat ground, or do they taper? Too many cheap ones taper and screw up your screws.
So what is the difference, educate me please? :shrug:

These screwdrivers aren't meant for any delicate work on movements on anything like that. Just basic bracelet adjustments. The whole point it is to get something compact that can be used while traveling, and not having to roll out a whole set of 15 screwdrivers in the airport or hotel just to change a few screws. :salute:

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:42 am

Terry, here is a little info on the difference of the tips:

http://armsinfo.com/screwdrivers.htm

"What is the difference between a hollow-ground gunsmithing screwdriver and a typical flat-head screwdriver?

The typical flat-head screwdriver has a tapered profile, narrower at the tip of the blade than closer to the handle. By contrast, a hollow-ground screwdriver has blade does not taper at all in the region of the blade that actually engages with the screw slot. The result is that a hollow-ground blade of proper dimension will be much gentler on a screw. When using a hollow-ground screwdriver, the region of the screw slot where the blade contacts it is nearly the entire surface of the screw slot. When using a typical screwdriver where the blade tapers, only the edge of the screw slot carries the force from turning the screwdriver.

Why does this matter? Pressure is force divided by area. The larger the surface area carrying the same force is, the less resulting pressure on the screw, and thus the less likely it is for the screw to deform. This is not an issue with many screws, but with screws used in firearms this is often an issue."

As for the screwdrivers themselves, I have an earlier model of this one below and it works great. It is super compact and has good grip which sometime one needs for some stubborn screws, especially on bracelets. The tips on mine are also great, hard that keep the shape. Not a precision screwdrivers obviously, not at this price point, but a real people hard working tool.

Link:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in-1 ... /204664388
Last edited by carlodwc on Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:44 am

toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:Are these flat ground, or do they taper? Too many cheap ones taper and screw up your screws.
So what is the difference, educate me please? :shrug:

These screwdrivers aren't meant for any delicate work on movements on anything like that. Just basic bracelet adjustments. The whole point it is to get something compact that can be used while traveling, and not having to roll out a whole set of 15 screwdrivers in the airport or hotel just to change a few screws. :salute:
My terminology might be off, or nonstandard, but flat ground tips are better for bracelet work as well (at least for Rolex). The left is flat ground and the right is regular:
flat versus regular.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:10 am

carlodwc wrote:Terry, here is a little info on the difference of the tips:

http://armsinfo.com/screwdrivers.htm

"What is the difference between a hollow-ground gunsmithing screwdriver and a typical flat-head screwdriver?

The typical flat-head screwdriver has a tapered profile, narrower at the tip of the blade than closer to the handle. By contrast, a hollow-ground screwdriver has blade does not taper at all in the region of the blade that actually engages with the screw slot. The result is that a hollow-ground blade of proper dimension will be much gentler on a screw. When using a hollow-ground screwdriver, the region of the screw slot where the blade contacts it is nearly the entire surface of the screw slot. When using a typical screwdriver where the blade tapers, only the edge of the screw slot carries the force from turning the screwdriver.

Why does this matter? Pressure is force divided by area. The larger the surface area carrying the same force is, the less resulting pressure on the screw, and thus the less likely it is for the screw to deform. This is not an issue with many screws, but with screws used in firearms this is often an issue."

As for the screwdrivers themselves, I have an earlier model of this one below and it works great. It is super compact and has good grip which sometime one needs for some stubborn screws, especially on bracelets. The tips on mine are also great, hard that keep the shape. Not a precision screwdrivers obviously, not at this price point, but a real people hard working tool.

Link:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in-1 ... /204664388
I have this same one except its the Lowes version. Pretty good but they are brittle. I have had to replace them 3 or 4 times under the lifetime warranty.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:50 am

I'd also suggest you research the tip sizes for Rolex & Omega, then be sure those are in the kit. Having the wrong size tip can really mess up a bracelet. Ask me how I know.... :(

CoachH
Name: Joe

Post by CoachH » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:30 am

I have this set from Sears. Looks very similar to the one you are looking at Terry. Quality is ok. I have never broken a tip, but one of the heads has twisted.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:52 am

^^^There you go. Even comes with the butt plug case.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:11 pm

59yukon01 wrote:^^^There you go. Even comes with the butt plug case.
Just make sure it has the right tip size for easy insertion. Don't want to ruin a good screw.
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:27 pm

Two screwdrivers! :excited:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:12 am

Captdave wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:^^^There you go. Even comes with the butt plug case.
Just make sure it has the right tip size for easy insertion. Don't want to ruin a good screw.
Hahahah dual purpose :thumbsup: :gayumbrella:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:15 am

Okay I think this idea has run its course for now. The way it looks is for me to get a decent set with all of the sizes needed to match certain watches (like Omega) I would have to get them custom made. And that isn't an option right now. Heck I can't even find a vendor in the US who wants to make them. :banghead:

My ideal setup would be like in this pic. It would be a travel size with reversible tips that would go up to 2.0 in sizes.

chévere
Name: Jay

Post by chévere » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:08 am

toxicavenger wrote:Okay I think this idea has run its course for now. The way it looks is for me to get a decent set with all of the sizes needed to match certain watches (like Omega) I would have to get them custom made. And that isn't an option right now. Heck I can't even find a vendor in the US who wants to make them. :banghead:

My ideal setup would be like in this pic. It would be a travel size with reversible tips that would go up to 2.0 in sizes.
Something like this, made of Bergeon quality, would be amazing. Not surprising that it's tough to find vendors for these things.