Bremont Vs Rolex

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
dukerules

Re: Bremont Vs Rolex

Post by dukerules » Thu May 22, 2014 12:08 pm

Bremonts aren't cheap, but I still think you get a lot of watch for the money. Of course, tastes are tastes, so buy what you like and spend what you can afford.

koda240
Hot Legs!
Name: David

Post by koda240 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:37 pm

I like both Bremont and Rolex and prefer one over the other based on the circumstances. As for people noticing. I dont give a shit what setting I'm in. I'll wear whatever watch i want. People can think it's fake, i have style, or I'm a douchebag and i wouldn't give it a second thought.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Thu May 22, 2014 2:45 pm

dukerules wrote:Bremonts aren't cheap, but I still think you get a lot of watch for the money. Of course, tastes are tastes, so buy what you like and spend what you can afford.
That's basically what I was getting at as well. These comparisons are pointless. Those who are trying to make logical sense are fooling themselves. Neither is better than the other objectively because no true objective standard exists to quantify the watch as a whole.

And similarly to Drew, I've had a bunch of people notice when I'm wearing a Rolex. Omega too. I don't know where you guys are where people won't recognize a Sub or a bright orange PO. Remember, just because it's true for you, it doesn't mean it's true for everyone else.

It's an odd thing, trying to speak in absolutes based solely on your personal experience....
:htfu:

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:50 pm

I agree it must be area specific.
Here in Charlotte the watch scene is practically non existent

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Thu May 22, 2014 3:03 pm

aboen wrote:95% of comments I've received are when I wear a Rolex, and half of those are "is it real"

With virtually perfect fakes out there most people can't even tell the difference
Funny... When I get the "is it real" comment.... My response is simple: "Of course it's not"

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 22, 2014 3:12 pm

Panerai7 wrote:I agree it must be area specific.
It's where you are, how you act (I guess), and probably who you know. I received zero comments in Berkeley, Oakland, and SF over the 10 years I lived there :shrug:

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Thu May 22, 2014 4:37 pm

I see patients in a public hospital daily. I see them looking at my watch (there is a fair bit of 'sizing me up' on my attire generally that goes on as I'm dealing with chronic health problems and the bulk are falling out of employment and self-conscious about their failing social status) and it would feel weird to wear something obviously high-end. When I bought my SM500 I also looked at Tudor and Rolex options and couldn't justify the extra money based on objective component quality and worksmanship. I never buy stuff based on selling it.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 22, 2014 5:30 pm

the only watch anyone noticed I was wearing was the Maratac Pilot

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy
Name: Peter

Post by Terpits » Thu May 22, 2014 6:01 pm

aboen wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
dukerules wrote:Bremonts aren't cheap, but I still think you get a lot of watch for the money. Of course, tastes are tastes, so buy what you like and spend what you can afford.
That's basically what I was getting at as well. These comparisons are pointless. Those who are trying to make logical sense are fooling themselves. Neither is better than the other objectively because no true objective standard exists to quantify the watch as a whole.

And similarly to Drew, I've had a bunch of people notice when I'm wearing a Rolex. Omega too. I don't know where you guys are where people won't recognize a Sub or a bright orange PO. Remember, just because it's true for you, it doesn't mean it's true for everyone else.

It's an odd thing, trying to speak in absolutes based solely on your personal experience....
well said (#2) You're one smart dude, my friend.
Yeah. That's Confucius shit right there.
:rimshot:

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:07 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
It's where you are, how you act (I guess), and probably who you know. I received zero comments in Berkeley, Oakland, and SF over the 10 years I lived there :shrug:
Agreed.
I went to a birthday party few weeks ago.
The guy is Armenian and pretty much everyone was straight off the boat from Armenia or Russia.
I've never seen so many show offs at one place. Smoking outside, that's all everyone talked about, how much were their shoes, sunglasses, suits, watches, cars, sq footage of their homes etc etc. It was kinda funny, entertaining and so 3rd world mentality :)

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy
Name: Peter

Post by Terpits » Thu May 22, 2014 6:09 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Agreed.
The guy is Armenian and pretty much everyone was straight off the boat from Armenia or Russia.
I've never seen so many show offs at one place. Smoking outside, that's all everyone talked about, how much were their shoes, sunglasses, suits, watches, cars, sq footage of their homes etc etc. It was kinda funny, entertaining and so 3rd world mentality :)
They actually spoke English??
:lol:
:rimshot:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 22, 2014 6:11 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Agreed.
I would have just said "who gives a shit about your shoes? I have a 10 inch dick" and walked away.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Terpits wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Agreed.
They actually spoke English??
No everyone spoke Russian :)

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu May 22, 2014 6:26 pm

So
OS300>Rolex> Bremont :shrug:

Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

4pfrench
Name: Paul

Post by 4pfrench » Thu May 22, 2014 6:30 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
1watchaholic wrote:I think people notice Rolex's but it's not comment worthy. They take a mental note. "How'd that douchebag get a Rolex! Must be fake! Or look at that Rolex snob! Or hey, the bro's got taste!" But with other watches more people tend to say, "Nice watch! That's cool what is it!" This is currently the Bremont market...
I can safely say that I have never once had a watch commented on by a "not a watch" person. Even people I know, who may be aware that I'm into watches, don't say anything. The only time I get a comment is when I'm wearing something unusual and a fellow watch enthusiast notices it. My IWC 3536 is probably my most commented on watch.

This...I have a couple "non-watch" friends who now notice and wants to know "what is special about that one...". - but for the most part, it is crickets...

And I'm just fine with that.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:So
OS300>Rolex> Bremont :shrug:

Jesus, finally you see it! :cheers:

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Thu May 22, 2014 6:33 pm

Yep, mostly crickets. I've had a few patients and nurses notice a Rolex (which makes me cringe). Other than that, a few saleswomen commenting on Panerai, and one guy at a soccer game who noticed my BP FF.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:39 pm

dukerules wrote:Yep, mostly crickets. I've had a few patients and nurses notice a Rolex (which makes me cringe). Other than that, a few saleswomen commenting on Panerai, and one guy at a soccer game who noticed my BP FF.
I work with mostly the same Drs everyday and one has a Tag Aquaracer, one a citizen that looks like a seiko arnie and the others don't wear watches. But when I'm off unit and especially on elevators I check out people's wrists. I've seen a few Subs on Drs. If it's not a Rolex Sub it's a Timex or something.
If not a Dr the common hospital worker has a GShock or the women have those stupid white ones from the gift shop.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

mattjmcd
Name: Matt

Post by mattjmcd » Thu May 22, 2014 8:31 pm

jimyritz wrote:MSRP on a the Rolex is $8100
MSRP on the Terranova is $6500...
====================
Resale about 78-85% for the Rolex
Resale for the Bremont 65%
====================

Bremont has established a solid reputation making a specific type of watch.....Just not in the same league as Rolex...

I think it's apple and oranges....I think Bremont vs Breitling might be a better comparison---

Maybe compare the Terranova to the Super Ocean GMT :think:

Just my take...

Mike
Totally concur. This is a solid and apt comparison. Almost any "______ vs Rolex" comparo ( that doesn't feature one of the so-called Trinity ) is going to come out with Rolex the winner. And perhaps rightly so.

Speaking for myself, I like the Bremont better but recognize that for a lot of people the ExpII is going to be a better choice... especially if resale value is a major consideration.

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Fri May 23, 2014 4:49 am

kempoman wrote:
jimyritz wrote:MSRP on a the Rolex is $8100
MSRP on the Terranova is $6500...
====================
Resale about 78-85% for the Rolex
Resale for the Bremont 65%
====================

Bremont has established a solid reputation making a specific type of watch.....Just not in the same league as Rolex...

I think it's apple and oranges....I think Bremont vs Breitling might be a better comparison---

Maybe compare the Terranova to the Super Ocean GMT :think:

Just my take...

Mike
Mike, I asked AD MSRP TN is only on rubber strap!! May be another USD600-800 more for Ti bracelet, that sums to USD 7200. :raised:
That AD is giving bad info out. The retail of the Terra Nova on rubber is $5995 with the bracelet model at $6745.

Those prices are from a very good source. :)
Regards
Barry

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri May 23, 2014 7:26 am

matt.wu wrote:

Exactly. ;)

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 23, 2014 9:06 am

JBZ wrote:
matt.wu wrote:

Exactly. ;)
Are you a lawyer or something? :salute:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri May 23, 2014 5:05 pm

I did put that there on purpose. :mrgreen:
:htfu:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff