Bremont Vs Rolex

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Panerai7
Name: Art

Re: Bremont Vs Rolex

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:54 am

Jeep99dad wrote:Also you can get a minty ExpII for about 6-6.2 so that's the way to go IMHO.
In 1-2 years get the TN for 3.5-4k max gently used I bet
And there in lies the difference which makes this thread equal to my comic OS300>Sub.

6K vs 3500 is where these watches are no matter what initial MSRP are. Anyone can put a high MSRP sticker on a watch. As a hyperbole, Invicta has an MSRP of 2000$ and then sells it for $199. IWC Aquatimer stickers at 6K and you can get a LNIB for <3K

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Thu May 22, 2014 8:55 am

I choose the TN over the Explorer II every time, but only because I like the TN better.

:shrug:
:htfu:

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:19 am

matt.wu wrote:I choose the TN over the Explorer II every time, but only because I like the TN better.

:shrug:
Well of course based on liking one over the other, the price doesn't matter then.
I like Pelagos over SubC but I wouldn't say they're equal

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 22, 2014 9:26 am

foodle wrote:
streetracer101 wrote: Have you ever flipped one? I've flipped 7 of them and none have been easy. Unless your Bremont is the current flavor of the week, they tend to move slower than other brands IMO. I'll also add that I've lost more money on Bremont flips than on other brands and only once was one purchased new.
I haven't ever flipped a Bremont, and I definitely believe that they are harder to sell than a Rolex. But, I still think if we're talking costs, we should have an accurate accounting of what the initial outlay is going to be, factoring in readily available discounts. You can call up a Bremont AD, and they will readily offer 15-20% off most models. Not so with Rolex ADs.
Maybe not, but you can contact one of the big TRF "dealers" and almost certainly get 10% or more off a new Explorer 2. There are things I like about Bremont, the cheap to replace hardened case being a major one, but I'd have a hard time picking one over a Rolex that I really want. They seem like great secondary, or tertiary, rotation watches but there are too many watches I really want but don't own for me to pay them much mind.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 am

So, where are we on the superiority of apples to oranges? :)

I think that so much of this stuff depends on perception, especially on the secondary market. Comparing a very new brand like Bremont to an iconic brand like Rolex is a very tricky thing.

If you break it down by Product Quality, Brand value, Resale Value etc. then I think it makes much more sense.

Just my $0.02
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:34 am

foodle wrote:
streetracer101 wrote: Have you ever flipped one? I've flipped 7 of them and none have been easy. Unless your Bremont is the current flavor of the week, they tend to move slower than other brands IMO. I'll also add that I've lost more money on Bremont flips than on other brands and only once was one purchased new.
I haven't ever flipped a Bremont, and I definitely believe that they are harder to sell than a Rolex. But, I still think if we're talking costs, we should have an accurate accounting of what the initial outlay is going to be, factoring in readily available discounts. You can call up a Bremont AD, and they will readily offer 15-20% off most models. Not so with Rolex ADs.
I agree. I honestly think Bremont is hurting themselves by having artificially high prices. I prefer the Rolex pricing model because you know what the price is going to be new at just about any AD plus or minus 5%. With Bremont it is difficult to know the actual new price because some AD s heavily discount and others don't. I think they should lower their prices and reign in on discounts...the discounts dilute the MSRP IMO and since there's little to no gray market, I think they're unnecessary.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

AntonioPD
Name: Tony

Post by AntonioPD » Thu May 22, 2014 9:37 am

As long as some of us are being subjective about this, one factor that has been mentioned is that Bremont is less known (much less known) than Rolex; for me that's an advantage. In the circles I run, one of the problems with my Speedy was it may have been viewed as a little pretentious and "above my station" (I work for a not-for-profit.) Rolex would have been that in spades, and not just here at work. No one is going to look at my Bremont and judge me! I wonder if anyone else on here feels that way about Rolex; personally I LOVE the company and hope to own one someday, but will wear it only in appropriate circles.

Resistance is the indicator of progress.
- Clint Bruce USN (Retired)

Omega PO 8500 45.5, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard A-05, Karlskrona Midnattssol Blue Date, Seiko Save the Ocean Turtle, G-Shock Solar Atomic and GA-100, Movado ESQ

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 22, 2014 9:40 am

AntonioPD wrote:As long as some of us are being subjective about this, one factor that has been mentioned is that Bremont is less known (much less known) than Rolex; for me that's an advantage. In the circles I run, one of the problems with my Speedy was it may have been viewed as a little pretentious and "above my station" (I work for a not-for-profit.) Rolex would have been that in spades, and not just here at work. No one is going to look at my Bremont and judge me! I wonder if anyone else on here feels that way about Rolex; personally I LOVE the company and hope to own one someday, but will wear it only in appropriate circles.

I've seen this said many times, but it's never been a problem for me. I wore a Rolex even in college, when I looked more like a hippie than a "guy who wears a Rolex". I visited home last week and wore my Sea Dweller. Not a single person, family or friend, even noticed my watch. I mentioned it to my wife and she responded "yeah it just looks like a black dial watch". I wouldn't over think it.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu May 22, 2014 9:41 am

To me, it's such an odd comparison. Costs aside, they are two very different watches. Assuming you can afford both, go with the one you prefer more. If you're thinking you're only going to own it for a short period of time, go with the Rolex - as others have said, easier resale.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Thu May 22, 2014 9:42 am

streetracer101 wrote:
foodle wrote:
I agree. I honestly think Bremont is hurting themselves by having artificially high prices. I prefer the Rolex pricing model because you know what the price is going to be new at just about any AD plus or minus 5%. With Bremont it is difficult to know the actual new price because some AD s heavily discount and others don't. I think they should lower their prices and reign in on discounts...the discounts dilute the MSRP IMO and since there's little to no gray market, I think they're unnecessary.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

====================
Maybe hard to do when you are growing your AD network..

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu May 22, 2014 9:44 am

AntonioPD wrote:As long as some of us are being subjective about this, one factor that has been mentioned is that Bremont is less known (much less known) than Rolex; for me that's an advantage. In the circles I run, one of the problems with my Speedy was it may have been viewed as a little pretentious and "above my station" (I work for a not-for-profit.) Rolex would have been that in spades, and not just here at work. No one is going to look at my Bremont and judge me! I wonder if anyone else on here feels that way about Rolex; personally I LOVE the company and hope to own one someday, but will wear it only in appropriate circles.

I have a hard time believing that most people would recognize an Omega at all (though presumably Bremont even less so). Also, as someone who wears a Rolex several days a week, I agree with Jacob - no one notices.

Edit: honestly, the only time I received an unsolicited compliment on my watch was from a guy working at a water park The watch in question? A Doxa 1200T Sharkhunter. Go figure.

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Thu May 22, 2014 9:47 am

------------

I can certainly relate to this. I work in Private Bank and had a guy at a meeting say to me---nice Rolex- this is before my Sub C-- just a 2008 14060 no date sub... At the next meeting I wore my JLC Navy Seals Diver and he didn't say anything and hasn't since...Boston tends to be more conservative than say, Miami where the bigger gold Yachtmasters, diamond encrusted Bretlings and Panerai are so common.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:55 am

^^^This (what Jacob wrote)
I think we have a very unrealistic view being n the watch forums.
No one has ever looked at any of my watches. A couple of times someone said "nice Invicta" when I was wearing a Panerai and that's about it.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:05 am

fastward wrote:
BBK357 wrote:It's funny that a new brand using eta is in Rolex pricing territory.
Tudor?

Didn't realize tudor was a new brand and 8k on up. Thanks for shedding light on that.

:bs:
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 22, 2014 10:05 am

BBK357 wrote:
fastward wrote:
BBK357 wrote:It's funny that a new brand using eta is in Rolex pricing territory.
Tudor?

Didn't realize tudor was a new brand and 8k on up. Thanks for shedding light on that.

I think Tudor is actually a very nice bargain at their current prices. :thumbsup:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:06 am

Not to take anything away from Bremont, I hope to own one someday to see what they are about. But they're not in Rolex territory.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:10 am

JBZ wrote:Edit: honestly, the only time I received an unsolicited compliment on my watch was from a guy working at a water park The watch in question? A Doxa 1200T Sharkhunter. Go figure.

I've had blind compliments on my watches before from girls at work- but the only time someone spotted a watch and knew what it was happened at IKEA. Dude was with his hot wife and kept looking at me below the belt. Finally he said "is that a Sinn 156?" I said yeah, my wife then started laughing and said that probably made my day.
It was cool, not gonna lie.
Now Chris is enjoying it.
Last edited by BBK357 on Thu May 22, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:11 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
fastward wrote:
Tudor?

I think Tudor is actually a very nice bargain at their current prices. :thumbsup:

Agree

:salute:
DEATH FROM ABOVE

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Thu May 22, 2014 10:12 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
fastward wrote:
Tudor?

==========

+1...

1watchaholic
Name: Gary

Post by 1watchaholic » Thu May 22, 2014 11:39 am

I think people notice Rolex's but it's not comment worthy. They take a mental note. "How'd that douchebag get a Rolex! Must be fake! Or look at that Rolex snob! Or hey, the bro's got taste!" But with other watches more people tend to say, "Nice watch! That's cool what is it!" This is currently the Bremont market...
Among Addictions…None is like the "Watchaholic" - Gary

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 22, 2014 11:43 am

1watchaholic wrote:I think people notice Rolex's but it's not comment worthy. They take a mental note. "How'd that douchebag get a Rolex! Must be fake! Or look at that Rolex snob! Or hey, the bro's got taste!" But with other watches more people tend to say, "Nice watch! That's cool what is it!" This is currently the Bremont market...
I can safely say that I have never once had a watch commented on by a "not a watch" person. Even people I know, who may be aware that I'm into watches, don't say anything. The only time I get a comment is when I'm wearing something unusual and a fellow watch enthusiast notices it. My IWC 3536 is probably my most commented on watch.

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:50 am

Personally I'd take my SM500 over the E2 I had anyday. The squeaks if the Rolex's bracelet drove me batshit crazy. Plus it's nice to own an up and coming brand that does a lot right IMO. Flame on....

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 22, 2014 11:51 am

zepp21 wrote:Personally I'd take my SM500 over the E2 I had anyday. The squeaks if the Rolex's bracelet drove me batshit crazy. Plus it's nice to own an up and coming brand that does a lot right IMO. Flame on....
Was yours the old version or the new? I haven't heard much about squeky solid link Rolex bracelets.

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:55 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
zepp21 wrote:Personally I'd take my SM500 over the E2 I had anyday. The squeaks if the Rolex's bracelet drove me batshit crazy. Plus it's nice to own an up and coming brand that does a lot right IMO. Flame on....
Was yours the old version or the new? I haven't heard much about squeky solid link Rolex bracelets.
Mine had HELs. Did I like the E2. Yes but it just didn't feel 'right'

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Thu May 22, 2014 11:59 am

As for flipping Bremonts - you have to flip the right ones, meaning a MBII with the orange barrel is much easier to move than say with the green barrel.....or an ALT1-C w/ Cream dial will be sold much quicker than, a silver dial.

now if you buy one and plan on keeping it then nevermind

Drew - I HATED that when I sported a few Rolex back in the day....but I'm still on track for a 214270 down range.