real-world experience of MM

Discussion of Seiko watches
User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 32648
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:02 am

hoppyjr wrote:I agree Ben, but I believe he’s referring to this 035

Image
I really want one of these.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25795
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by BBK357 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:59 am

hoppyjr wrote:I agree Ben, but I believe he’s referring to this 035

Image
Lol - damn.

Ok disregard the above post. I got mixed up with the wtb tuna thread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Posts: 8293
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:50 am
Name: J

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by aikiman44 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:39 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:02 am
hoppyjr wrote:I agree Ben, but I believe he’s referring to this 035

Image
I really want one of these.

Redundant with the Topper Ninja?
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 45643
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:16 am

spring-diver wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:10 pm
I still have mine. I’ll probably keep it forever Image

My buddy took this photo the other day...fn amazing shot Image

Image


Image


Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
pics like this make me want to buy it again :banghead:

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 32648
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:12 pm

aikiman44 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:02 am
hoppyjr wrote:I agree Ben, but I believe he’s referring to this 035

Image
I really want one of these.

Redundant with the Topper Ninja?
I couldn’t have both. Not sure the MM is worth $2k more.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 45643
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:12 pm
aikiman44 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:02 am
hoppyjr wrote:I agree Ben, but I believe he’s referring to this 035

Image
I really want one of these.

Redundant with the Topper Ninja?
I couldn’t have both. Not sure the MM is worth $2k more.
definitely not worth 2k more.

User avatar
poppydog
aka Nelldog
Posts: 5748
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:31 pm
Name: Steve
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by poppydog » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:56 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:12 pm
aikiman44 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:02 am
hoppyjr wrote:I agree Ben, but I believe he’s referring to this 035

Image
I really want one of these.

Redundant with the Topper Ninja?
I couldn’t have both. Not sure the MM is worth $2k more.
definitely not worth 2k more.
So, the SLA035J1 isn't worth the money?
Regards

Steve

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 32648
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:36 pm

poppydog wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:12 pm
aikiman44 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:02 am
hoppyjr wrote:I agree Ben, but I believe he’s referring to this 035

Image
I really want one of these.

Redundant with the Topper Ninja?
I couldn’t have both. Not sure the MM is worth $2k more.
definitely not worth 2k more.
So, the SLA035J1 isn't worth the money?
I can’t answer that. I only know I’d have trouble spending $3k on that when I can have this for $1k.
Image
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 34360
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:28 am

poppydog wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:12 pm
aikiman44 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:02 am
hoppyjr wrote:I agree Ben, but I believe he’s referring to this 035

Image
I really want one of these.

Redundant with the Topper Ninja?
I couldn’t have both. Not sure the MM is worth $2k more.
definitely not worth 2k more.
So, the SLA035J1 isn't worth the money?
If you’re looking at mid $2k range (USD) for the stainless models, then $3k for the 035 is definitely worth the money.

I see and don’t disagree with Shorty’s perspective, but I love the 035.


User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 45643
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:22 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:28 am
poppydog wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:12 pm
aikiman44 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:02 am
hoppyjr wrote:I agree Ben, but I believe he’s referring to this 035

Image
I really want one of these.

Redundant with the Topper Ninja?
I couldn’t have both. Not sure the MM is worth $2k more.
definitely not worth 2k more.
So, the SLA035J1 isn't worth the money?
If you’re looking at mid $2k range (USD) for the stainless models, then $3k for the 035 is definitely worth the money.

I see and don’t disagree with Shorty’s perspective, but I love the 035.
agreed

User avatar
poppydog
aka Nelldog
Posts: 5748
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:31 pm
Name: Steve
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by poppydog » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:27 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:22 am
hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:28 am
poppydog wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:12 pm
aikiman44 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:02 am
hoppyjr wrote:I agree Ben, but I believe he’s referring to this 035

Image
I really want one of these.

Redundant with the Topper Ninja?
I couldn’t have both. Not sure the MM is worth $2k more.
definitely not worth 2k more.
So, the SLA035J1 isn't worth the money?
If you’re looking at mid $2k range (USD) for the stainless models, then $3k for the 035 is definitely worth the money.

I see and don’t disagree with Shorty’s perspective, but I love the 035.
agreed
Gotchya; I really meant in general and not in comparison. In the UK, the 035 is slightly less (£2,700) than the stainless models (£2,800), but obviously has no bracelet. The 035 I've seen is still available at 12% off. Not sure about how glossy it looks, though :think:
Regards

Steve

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 34360
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy

real-world experience of MM

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:40 pm

poppydog wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:22 am
hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:28 am
poppydog wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:12 pm
aikiman44 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:02 am
hoppyjr wrote:I agree Ben, but I believe he’s referring to this 035

Image
I really want one of these.

Redundant with the Topper Ninja?
I couldn’t have both. Not sure the MM is worth $2k more.
definitely not worth 2k more.
So, the SLA035J1 isn't worth the money?
If you’re looking at mid $2k range (USD) for the stainless models, then $3k for the 035 is definitely worth the money.

I see and don’t disagree with Shorty’s perspective, but I love the 035.
agreed
Gotchya; I really meant in general and not in comparison. In the UK, the 035 is slightly less (£2,700) than the stainless models (£2,800), but obviously has no bracelet. The 035 I've seen is still available at 12% off. Not sure about how glossy it looks, though :think:
I’d do it, the add an Isofrane with DLC buckle. It would be a perfect combo.

It’s definitely going to be less glossy than a stainless model. You know you want to.

User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 1375
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by bedlam » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:54 pm

Late to the party...but I'm a fan of the MM300. Mine has been relegated somewhat by my GS Diver, but it is definitely one of the iconic watches. It is super wearable on rubber. I recommend it on the BFK and Crafter straps.

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
poppydog
aka Nelldog
Posts: 5748
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:31 pm
Name: Steve
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by poppydog » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:26 am

Thanks fellas, and yeah Hop, I do want to, but tend to take a while whenever I make a purchase and this feels a bit rushed at the moment. I don't know if it's true, but the AD that has it said there are only 6 in the UK, but don't know if that's a limit or just how many have come through so far.

Great pictures Carl; I think it may have been your pics from ages ago that first got me thinking about one.

I'll keep you posted guys.
Regards

Steve

User avatar
pbj204
Posts: 1914
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:47 am
Name: Paul
Location: New York

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by pbj204 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:30 am

https://davidsw.com/watches/seiko-watch ... c-diver-3/

Image

Are these really almost $4,000 USED?

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25795
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by BBK357 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:43 am

CGSshorty wrote:
poppydog wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:12 pm
aikiman44 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:02 am
hoppyjr wrote:I agree Ben, but I believe he’s referring to this 035

Image
I really want one of these.

Redundant with the Topper Ninja?
I couldn’t have both. Not sure the MM is worth $2k more.
definitely not worth 2k more.
So, the SLA035J1 isn't worth the money?
I can’t answer that. I only know I’d have trouble spending $3k on that when I can have this for $1k.
Image

Man that looks so good!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

HiDive
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:15 pm
Name: Vincent
Location: Da Big Island, Hawaii

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by HiDive » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:58 pm

I have owned MM300's twice before and recently got the black dial 023 model. I like it more than the older versions and am quite happy with mine. I bought mine from Higuchi in Japan, online; who I have purchased many watches from in the past. He had the best deal and it shipped very quickly. I have also purchased two Strapcode bracelets for it and enjoy them. I have mine out diving a few times and it managed to survive the extreme conditions here in Hawaii at about 65 fsw.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 45643
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:05 pm

HiDive wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:58 pm
I have owned MM300's twice before and recently got the black dial 023 model. I like it more than the older versions and am quite happy with mine. I bought mine from Higuchi in Japan, online; who I have purchased many watches from in the past. He had the best deal and it shipped very quickly. I have also purchased two Strapcode bracelets for it and enjoy them. I have mine out diving a few times and it managed to survive the extreme conditions here in Hawaii at about 65 fsw.
Welcome Vincent! :thumbsup:

Mr_Pacman
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:12 pm
Name: James
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by Mr_Pacman » Mon May 25, 2020 10:20 am

Just picked this one up from a friend yesterday. Near mint, purchased August 2019. Paid $2,250 CAD for it ($1,600 USD) which I felt was a good price.

I'm going to order a rubber strap for it as I feel it will make it a bit less shiny and I'm not overly impressed with the bracelet. The watch itself is very nice.

Too bad the Crafter Blue strap made for this model requires you to use the ratcheting clasp as it's one of the most annoying clasps I've ever encountered. The rubber strap that came with it is very nice and soft vs the ones that used to come on the SKX models 10 years ago which felt like plastic.

Image

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 14589
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by dukerules » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:38 am

Have been eyeing picking up another MM300 recently, and just pulled the trigger on an SBDX017 (and hopefully this does not derail my BB58 aspirations). We'll see if this one lasts. Although not a perfect watch, it really is the ultimate Seiko diver in my opinion; every time I wear a NAFT, MM200, etc. I feel like I'm trying to capture the magic of the MM300 in a cheaper watch.

Question for you guys: Has anyone tried an aftermarket (Strapcode, I guess) bracelet on one of these?

User avatar
Selym
Posts: 2297
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by Selym » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:37 am

dukerules wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:38 am
every time I wear a NAFT, MM200, etc. I feel like I'm trying to capture the magic of the MM300 in a cheaper watch.

Question for you guys: Has anyone tried an aftermarket (Strapcode, I guess) bracelet on one of these?
Back when the "Sumo" first came out, I bought one and installed MM hands. I soon realized that while it was a nice watch, it was no substitute for the real thing. I bought a MM second hand and wore it for months on end, which is rare for me.

About a year ago, I bought a Strapcode Super-O Boyer :lol: bracelet for it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1J1S2M/re ... .Eb1N9XQRP

The Seiko bracelet is nice enough, but I prefer a more traditional "oyster" bracelet.

It couldn't get it to work with the OEM Seiko fat spring bars, so I used a pair of Rolex-style shoulder-less spring bars instead (the kind used for Sub cases will drilled-through lug holes).

Image

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 14589
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by dukerules » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:17 am

Thanks. That looks really good. I wonder if those would work with the toxic slim fat spring bars.

User avatar
Selym
Posts: 2297
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by Selym » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:59 am

dukerules wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:17 am
Thanks. That looks really good. I wonder if those would work with the toxic slim fat spring bars.
Most likely. I think the "Rolex" bars have 1.1 mm ends and 2 mm center section. OEM Seiko bars have 1.1 mm ends and 2.5 mm center section, IIRC.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 45643
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:22 pm

Selym wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:59 am
dukerules wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:17 am
Thanks. That looks really good. I wonder if those would work with the toxic slim fat spring bars.
Most likely. I think the "Rolex" bars have 1.1 mm ends and 2 mm center section. OEM Seiko bars have 1.1 mm ends and 2.5 mm center section, IIRC.
The Slims are not what I recommend for drilled lug watches. The Sprapcode bracelet if I recall is not drilled to fit the 2.5mm spring bars. And do not use 1.78's, they are too thin. I think these are the ones you need https://www.utewatchco.com/collections/ ... 0127913665

User avatar
Selym
Posts: 2297
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by Selym » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:53 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:22 pm
Selym wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:59 am
dukerules wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:17 am
Thanks. That looks really good. I wonder if those would work with the toxic slim fat spring bars.
Most likely. I think the "Rolex" bars have 1.1 mm ends and 2 mm center section. OEM Seiko bars have 1.1 mm ends and 2.5 mm center section, IIRC.
The Slims are not what I recommend for drilled lug watches. The Sprapcode bracelet if I recall is not drilled to fit the 2.5mm spring bars. And do not use 1.78's, they are too thin. I think these are the ones you need https://www.utewatchco.com/collections/ ... 0127913665
It is drilled to accommodate the OEM Seiko bars, but the alignment was off slightly, so I couldn't get both tips to engage. Strapcode's solution is to use bars with a 2.5 mm center section and tips that are smaller than 1.1 mm, which I think is a bad idea. Instead, I use bars with a thinner center section and 1.1 mm tips. They're generic Rolex shoulder-less bars. I think I bought them from Twente(o) long before you were selling straps. I think you stock the same ones. In fact, I think I bought some in 22 mm width from you a while ago.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests