Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Discussion of Seiko watches
Post Reply
User avatar
AZpops
Posts: 3621
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:50 pm
Name: Lance
Location: Whereever the Job Takes Us

Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by AZpops » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:07 pm

If possible, what would be the best way to remove it?


I saw this vid on YouTube (can't imbed the vid); https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycgh7GM8kMc&t=246s


Thanks!
Lance



Image

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 33111
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:16 pm

Send the watch to Duarte and have him install a flat sapphire crystal. Easy and awesome.

User avatar
TSD
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:47 am
Name: Tom
Location: So Fla

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by TSD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:21 pm

They are glued on. My watchmaker said he applies acetone to the cyclops overnight and then heat will lift it. But they remove the crystal from the case first. Acetone might damage the watch otherwise.

User avatar
AZpops
Posts: 3621
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:50 pm
Name: Lance
Location: Whereever the Job Takes Us

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by AZpops » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks for the heads up, and recommendations! If the best way is to remove the crystal, the sapphire sounds good! I'll probably wear the Monster for a bit, before sending to Duarte. When I do, I'll hit you up for Duarte's contact info.. Thanks again!
Lance



Image

User avatar
andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Posts: 14004
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:04 pm
Name: William Drayton, Jr.
Location: Gone

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by andrema » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:52 pm

Axe and booze!


Seriously, Duarte
Image

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 44234
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:52 pm

Honestly I used a fire striker when I did mine. The best way is to have the crystal removed and then do it. It is only held on with uv glue.

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 33111
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:13 pm

toxicavenger wrote:Honestly I used a fire striker when I did mine. The best way is to have the crystal removed and then do it. It is only held on with uv glue.
Same fire starter you use for sex?

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 44234
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:15 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:13 pm
toxicavenger wrote:Honestly I used a fire striker when I did mine. The best way is to have the crystal removed and then do it. It is only held on with uv glue.
Same fire starter you use for sex?
you remember the "burn" :mrgreen: :gayumbrella:

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 33111
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:16 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:13 pm
toxicavenger wrote:Honestly I used a fire striker when I did mine. The best way is to have the crystal removed and then do it. It is only held on with uv glue.
Same fire starter you use for sex?
you remember the "burn" :mrgreen: :gayumbrella:
Yes. I didn’t even know a butane torch could do that!

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire
Posts: 3070
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by ikkoku » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:50 pm

the ol' chisel and hammer doesn't work? :)

seriously tho... not that I recommend it but I've done that with Marathon SAR cyclops back in the day.

CarloDWC
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:08 am
Name: Carlo

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by CarloDWC » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:34 pm

The cyclops is glues on the glass so heat and acetone are the two things that can take it off. I personally did this only once, instead of a torch I used a soldering iron an heated up the cyclops, then applied a little acetone around the cyclops, tried prying it up with an Exacto knife. Applied more heat with the soldering iron etc. At first it actually broke off and only a part came off. But continuing with hear and acetone and trying with an Exacto knife in the end worked, the trick is to get the acetone under the cyclops, when it start doing that the glue is easier to loose the binding power. It was not actually a long action, maybe 20 minutes but I would not want to do it again.

Also I did not remove the crystal but I know that a watchmaker would do that as a preference. I second the opinion of Hoppy in sending the watch to someone who is a Pro to do this or replace the crystal altogether.

User avatar
AZpops
Posts: 3621
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:50 pm
Name: Lance
Location: Whereever the Job Takes Us

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by AZpops » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:04 am

ikkoku wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:50 pm
the ol' chisel and hammer doesn't work? :)

seriously tho... not that I recommend it but I've done that with Marathon SAR cyclops back in the day.
:lol: ... I posted this vid in the rumble room ...


Lance



Image

User avatar
AZpops
Posts: 3621
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:50 pm
Name: Lance
Location: Whereever the Job Takes Us

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by AZpops » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:06 am

CarloDWC wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:34 pm
The cyclops is glues on the glass so heat and acetone are the two things that can take it off. I personally did this only once, instead of a torch I used a soldering iron an heated up the cyclops, then applied a little acetone around the cyclops, tried prying it up with an Exacto knife. Applied more heat with the soldering iron etc. At first it actually broke off and only a part came off. But continuing with hear and acetone and trying with an Exacto knife in the end worked, the trick is to get the acetone under the cyclops, when it start doing that the glue is easier to loose the binding power. It was not actually a long action, maybe 20 minutes but I would not want to do it again.

Also I did not remove the crystal but I know that a watchmaker would do that as a preference. I second the opinion of Hoppy in sending the watch to someone who is a Pro to do this or replace the crystal altogether.
Thanks, Carlo! ... :thumbsup:
Lance



Image

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire
Posts: 3070
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by ikkoku » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:45 pm

AZpops wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:04 am
ikkoku wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:50 pm
the ol' chisel and hammer doesn't work? :)

seriously tho... not that I recommend it but I've done that with Marathon SAR cyclops back in the day.
:lol: ... I posted this vid in the rumble room ...



I still remember getting putting the SAR between yellow pages phone book. One smack of the hammer and the cyclops was out.

User avatar
AZpops
Posts: 3621
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:50 pm
Name: Lance
Location: Whereever the Job Takes Us

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by AZpops » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:06 pm

ikkoku wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:45 pm
AZpops wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:04 am
ikkoku wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:50 pm
the ol' chisel and hammer doesn't work? :)

seriously tho... not that I recommend it but I've done that with Marathon SAR cyclops back in the day.
:lol: ... I posted this vid in the rumble room ...



I still remember getting putting the SAR between yellow pages phone book. One smack of the hammer and the cyclops was out.

I couldn't do it! ... :lol:
Lance



Image

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire
Posts: 3070
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by ikkoku » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:13 am

how about this?

User avatar
AZpops
Posts: 3621
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:50 pm
Name: Lance
Location: Whereever the Job Takes Us

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by AZpops » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:00 am

ikkoku wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:13 am
how about this?
Thanks, this is the vid to the link I posted (not sure why I couldn't imbed the dang thing. Knowing me though, I'll just F it up! ... :lol:
Lance



Image

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire
Posts: 3070
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by ikkoku » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:41 pm

sorry didn't even see your link... anyways... good luck

User avatar
AZpops
Posts: 3621
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:50 pm
Name: Lance
Location: Whereever the Job Takes Us

Re: Recommendations Wanted on How to Remove a Date Magnifier on a Seiko?

Post by AZpops » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:11 pm

ikkoku wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:41 pm
sorry didn't even see your link... anyways... good luck
Thanks!
Lance



Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest