Re: New Seiko Thread

Post by jswing » Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:24 am

ezcheese wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:32 pm
rockmastermike wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:06 am
jswing wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:08 am
Seiko is releasing yet another 62MAS re-edition, the SJE093. Looks very much like the SLA017, but this one has the specs of the original, with a 38×46×12.5mm case, making it the truest re-edition yet. I know most here prefer bigger watches, but for me this could possibly be my exit watch. Comes with an all new movement, the 6L37, which beats at 28,800 bph and allows the watch to be thinner than the 8L35 watches. This one is limited to 1965. Not cheap at 3700 euro, don't know the US pricing yet.

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/ ... 5_6L/index

https://www.fratellowatches.com/introdu ... he-sje093/

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
I’ve been kicking the tires on a SLA043 blue 62mas, but this is super nice.
This one is so good!
Looking good! I do think this may be their best release since the originals.

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

New Seiko Thread

Post by spring-diver » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:09 pm

SPB411 Image
6R54

SPB377
6R54

SPB379
6R54

SLA071
8L35

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by spring-diver on Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

Baffo

New Seiko Thread

Post by Baffo » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:26 pm

The GMT alpinists are nice.
If they were real GMTs… they’d be super

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:17 pm

I really want the new 39mm 62MAS, and know Seiko will sell them all, but the price is absolutely ridiculous for a 6 unregulated series movement. That being said, can't really say this should be a $1500MSRP watch as it will sell.

While the non-LE 6 series 62MAS with the metal insert is one helluva watch, why not just release this at a lower price point from the start? Enough with the LEs and all the encompassing unregulated mid price point watches. Like car manufacturers and colors, this was on the docket many years ago. Why, Seiko, why?!

As a devout Seiko fan boy i'm becoming more and more disappointed and disinterested as they cater to the <1%

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:40 pm

sierra11b wrote:I really want the new 39mm 62MAS, and know Seiko will sell them all, but the price is absolutely ridiculous for a 6 unregulated series movement. That being said, can't really say this should be a $1500MSRP watch as it will sell.

While the non-LE 6 series 62MAS with the metal insert is one helluva watch, why not just release this at a lower price point from the start? Enough with the LEs and all the encompassing unregulated mid price point watches. Like car manufacturers and colors, this was on the docket many years ago. Why, Seiko, why?!

As a devout Seiko fan boy i'm becoming more and more disappointed and disinterested as they cater to the <1%
It’s worth it IMO. Re the movement, I went into it with typical low Seiko expectations, but mine has settled in at around +1.5/day now after two weeks. I know I’m lucky but on the WUS thread there’s more reports of great accuracy than not. Def a few closer to the top end of COSC as well, but nothing truly terrible.

After the supposed second batch is released next year I think they are going to be somewhat hard to find. They nailed this release.

- Todd

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:49 pm

I really want the new 39mm 62MAS, and know Seiko will sell them all, but the price is absolutely ridiculous for a 6 unregulated series movement. That being said, can't really say this should be a $1500MSRP watch as it will sell.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

New Seiko Thread

Post by Joeprez » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:07 pm

I really like the two LE versions of the 62MAS, but I also think that Seiko could have decided to NOT make them LE and thus sold them cheaper.

In any case, I just bought an SPB143 (for the second time). Maybe I should sell all my Seikos and try to grab one of the LE’s, just not sure if I’ll enjoy it as much as having the Willard, SPB143, Safarni and the obnoxious gold turtle :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:20 am

Joeprez wrote:I really like the two LE versions of the 62MAS, but I also think that Seiko could have decided to NOT make them LE and thus sold them cheaper.

In any case, I just bought an SPB143 (for the second time). Maybe I should sell all my Seikos and try to grab one of the LE’s, just not sure if I’ll enjoy it as much as having the Willard, SPB143, Safarni and the obnoxious gold turtle :lol:

To paraphrase what someone on another site said, I think the best time to pick up one of the new LE’s will be now through whenever the supposed second batch in January sells out at AD’s. You’ll get the early buyer flippers who decide it’s not for them (and don’t scalp with the price) and then a chance of a discount if there are any at AD’s.
- Todd

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:49 am

sierra11b wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:49 pm

You probably already know this, but it is NOT the 6R movement found in the less expensive SRPs. It's the brand new 6L37 (6L35 based, but beefed up specifically for divers), which is basically a thinner 8L35 movement, with 28,800 bpm and the same published tolerances as the 8L35. I believe it's going to be their high end movement going forward, and allows them to bring thinner divers to the table. Mine runs +2.

Also, the watch is actually 38mm, same as the original, and wears incredibly. Fit and finish is as good/better than anything in it's price range. Clearly I'm a fan, and hardly of the <1%.

jswing

Post by jswing » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:52 am

Joeprez wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:07 pm
I really like the two LE versions of the 62MAS, but I also think that Seiko could have decided to NOT make them LE and thus sold them cheaper.

I've had all those Seikos except the gold turtle, and I'd swap them for the SJE093 in a heartbeat. It's just that good.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:33 am

jswing wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:49 am
sierra11b wrote:

You probably already know this, but it is NOT the 6R movement found in the less expensive SRPs. It's the brand new 6L37 (6L35 based, but beefed up specifically for divers), which is basically a thinner 8L35 movement, with 28,800 bpm and the same published tolerances as the 8L35. I believe it's going to be their high end movement going forward, and allows them to bring thinner divers to the table. Mine runs +2.

Also, the watch is actually 38mm, same as the original, and wears incredibly. Fit and finish is as good/better than anything in it's price range. Clearly I'm a fan, and hardly of the <1%.
You beat me to it J! Yeah don’t confuse a 6R movement for the 6L. The 6L37 in my 93 is ball hair accurate!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jswing

Post by jswing » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:50 am

ezcheese wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:33 am
jswing wrote:
sierra11b wrote:

You beat me to it J! Yeah don’t confuse a 6R movement for the 6L. The 6L37 in my 93 is ball hair accurate!
They really should have given the movement a different designation to avoid the confusion.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:03 pm

Thanks Jeff and Todd for the information, more stuff to think about.

I'm not selling the gold turtle though :lol:

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:00 pm

jswing wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:50 am
ezcheese wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:33 am
jswing wrote:
sierra11b wrote:

They really should have given the movement a different designation to avoid the confusion.
For sure as I did not know that!

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:10 am

jswing wrote:

If this is true and has decent accuracy... they will finally have their mid tier movement to compete with Sellitta/ETA which has been long needed.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:18 am

dnslater wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:10 am
jswing wrote:

If this is true and has decent accuracy... they will finally have their mid tier movement to compete with Sellitta/ETA which has been long needed.
Supposedly the 6L37 is in the range of the ETA 2892, which would be great if true. As mentioned above, the one in my SJE093 has been very impressive so far.
- Todd

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:26 am

For what it’s worth, I’ve been wearing my 93 every day for the past 3 weeks and the watch is now running 8 seconds fast. I’ve found that if it’s fully wound and on wrist for most of the day it runs about +2 seconds per day. It slows down as the mainspring loses power as pretty much every watch with 1 mainspring does. So, you can actually manage perfect accuracy based on how you’re storing it when not wearing it (let it run down a bit to slow it down or keep it on a winder to speed it up).
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:00 am

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:29 am

I wish Seiko would go back to some basic, rugged quartz movements.

Wario406
Name: Mike

New Seiko Thread

Post by Wario406 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:56 am

ezcheese wrote:For what it’s worth, I’ve been wearing my 93 every day for the past 3 weeks and the watch is now running 8 seconds fast. I’ve found that if it’s fully wound and on wrist for most of the day it runs about +2 seconds per day. It slows down as the mainspring loses power as pretty much every watch with 1 mainspring does. So, you can actually manage perfect accuracy based on how you’re storing it when not wearing it (let it run down a bit to slow it down or keep it on a winder to speed it up).
This continues to make me nervous and pensive about owning Seikos…

It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:54 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:29 am
A couple of my solars are that good.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:06 pm

Henryj wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
I get that Seiko quartz is accurate. Anyone’s quartz is accurate. Seiko autos are what I’m not impressed by.
Dr. Seuss

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:24 pm

jswing wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:52 am
Joeprez wrote:

I've had all those Seikos except the gold turtle, and I'd swap them for the SJE093 in a heartbeat. It's just that good.
I love the obnoxious gold Turtle. I wish I would have kept it. The sunburst dial just laid on the extra hairy chest charm. I always undid and extra shirt button when I wore it. :lol:
Wario406 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:06 pm
Henryj wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
I get that Seiko quartz is accurate. Anyone’s quartz is accurate. Seiko autos are what I’m not impressed by.
In all honesty that's where I'm at. I don't see owning another auto Seiko. All have been horrible timekeepers and even the ones have had adjusted eventually drift anyway. Now another 300m quartz Tuna, I could go for that. That is once I can get the version I actually want in stock somewhere.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:30 pm

Torrid wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:24 pm
All have been horrible timekeepers and even the ones have had adjusted eventually drift anyway.
My Willard (purchased new) started out great. It was nearly quartz accurate. Then it started slowing down, losing like 40 s/d. I sent it in for warranty service, and it came back running great. It's been six months since the service and it's still running great.

I have a hunch they're improperly oiled at the factory, and the oil ends up getting somewhere it shouldn't be.

Oddly enough, the cheaper models I've owned have been excellent, reliable timekeepers.

Bottom line, a brand new watch shouldn't have to be serviced for it to run right.

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:52 pm

Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:52 am
Joeprez wrote:

I love the obnoxious gold Turtle. I wish I would have kept it. The sunburst dial just laid on the extra hairy chest charm. I always undid and extra shirt button when I wore it. :lol:
Wario406 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:06 pm
Henryj wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
In all honesty that's where I'm at. I don't see owning another auto Seiko. All have been horrible timekeepers and even the ones have had adjusted eventually drift anyway. Now another 300m quartz Tuna, I could go for that. That is once I can get the version I actually want in stock somewhere.

Right?!? My quartzs ( Scurfa’s and Marathon ) are running at +/- 1 sec/month. My SARG was -45 to +120 Sec/day on good days. It was better after service, but I had no confidence in it. And, it had killer looks too! I wanted that watch to be accurate. Probably wouldn’t have got my Ranger hand it kept good time.
Dr. Seuss