New Seiko Thread

Discussion of Seiko watches
matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

New Seiko Thread

Post by matt.wu » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:45 pm

I really like the rubber strap they paired with this. Just wish it was shorter (and I find metal keepers uncomfortable).

Seiko SPB149 LE

Not sure it’s a keeper, but it’s a nice package. Great value in this one, IMO. The blue/grey dial is unique.

:htfu:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: New Seiko Thread

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 pm

^ looks good Matt.

I wonder how Seiko fixed the alignment issues....

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:01 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:45 pm
I really like the rubber strap they paired with this. Just wish it was shorter (and I find metal keepers uncomfortable).

Seiko SPB149 LE

Not sure it’s a keeper, but it’s a nice package. Great value in this one, IMO. The blue/grey dial is unique.

That gives me hope. How long exactly is that strap?

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:01 pm

matt.wu wrote:I really like the rubber strap they paired with this. Just wish it was shorter (and I find metal keepers uncomfortable).

Seiko SPB149 LE

I like this one a lot. I'm trying to track down a black version of that new OEM rubber.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Last edited by jswing on Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:02 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 pm
^ looks good Matt.

By getting rid of chapter rings and making it part of the dial?

The colors on it look great, Matt.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:41 pm

Thx y'all. A lot of what there is to love about the SLA017 still exists in this SPB release. I think the SLA wins on the bezel/dial ratio as well as the detailing on the dial (like date window surround), as has been previously stated, but I prefer the dome of the crystal, the hands, and the color options on this release.

(and the price) :shifty:

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:48 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Seiko SPB149 LE

Looks great, Matt. :cheers:

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:37 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:41 pm
Thx y'all. A lot of what there is to love about the SLA017 still exists in this SPB release. I think the SLA wins on the bezel/dial ratio as well as the detailing on the dial (like date window surround), as has been previously stated, but I prefer the dome of the crystal, the hands, and the color options on this release.

That does look great Matt. I'm enjoying my 151 a lot, and it really fits straps nicely (straps end up close to the case, but don't scuff and even ones that are thick around the spring-bars fit w/o issue). It does wear a lot smaller than I expected, but in this case that's a fine thing.

:cheers:

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:45 pm

raf42 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:37 pm
matt.wu wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:41 pm

That does look great Matt. I'm enjoying my 151 a lot, and it really fits straps nicely (straps end up close to the case, but don't scuff and even ones that are thick around the spring-bars fit w/o issue). It does wear a lot smaller than I expected, but in this case that's a fine thing.

The size is the thing that concerns me. I know it's not "in" anymore, but I still prefer larger watches. We'll see if it sticks around. Enjoying it for now!

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:27 pm

really like that, Matt. size is good for me, i don't mind 40-41 at all.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:44 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:02 pm
hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 pm
^ looks good Matt.

By getting rid of chapter rings and making it part of the dial?
and they got rid of the minute markers. lol :roll:

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:46 pm

matt.wu wrote:

Seiko SPB149 LE

That looks great Matt, I agree with the bezel/dial ratio (when compared with the SLA017) comment, but I can live with that. And you got the nicest color.

Even though I just got the SPB153 "Willard", I plan to add one of these eventually. One question, I liked the bracelet of my MM200 (for the price), so how is the bracelet on yours?

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:13 pm

Joeprez wrote:
matt.wu wrote:

Seiko SPB149 LE

That looks great Matt, I agree with the bezel/dial ratio (when compared with the SLA017) comment, but I can live with that. And you got the nicest color.

Even though I just got the SPB153 "Willard", I plan to add one of these eventually. One question, I liked the bracelet of my MM200 (for the price), so how is the bracelet on yours?
Honestly, it’s about the same. The bracelet is fine for the price. On par with the SBBN015 bracelet I guess? Dive extension and micro adjustments. Main complaint, as has been mentioned before, is that the end links don’t match the case well. I ordered a generic mesh-ish bracelet for it, which should work well with the straight lug space.

I haven’t even unwrapped the OEM bracelet (and probably won’t bother).

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:14 pm

One thing that I didn’t realize when I initially ordered the watch is that the insert is brushed ceramic. That was a pleasant surprise, and I suspect we see more of this going forward (as opposed to the typical high polish finish we see with ceramic).

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:38 am

matt.wu wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:14 pm
One thing that I didn’t realize when I initially ordered the watch is that the insert is brushed ceramic. That was a pleasant surprise, and I suspect we see more of this going forward (as opposed to the typical high polish finish we see with ceramic).
Interesting. I assumed it was brushed PVD like some of the Tunas.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:43 am

matt.wu wrote:
Nice! Didn't know about that either.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:21 am

dnslater wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:38 am
matt.wu wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:43 am
matt.wu wrote:
You guys made me dig a little more, as I have seen it stated in a couple articles about the watch release, but I can't find firm confirmation on Seiko's site.

The comments section of James Stacey's Hodinkee article indicates he's not 100% sure either after trying to find out from Seiko.

Either way, probably doesn't make a huge difference to me. If it's brushed steel, it looks great too. :mrgreen:

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

New Seiko Thread

Post by spring-diver » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:28 am

matt.wu wrote:I really like the rubber strap they paired with this. Just wish it was shorter (and I find metal keepers uncomfortable).

Seiko SPB149 LE

Looking good on the rubber Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:06 pm

spring-diver wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:28 am

Seiko SPB149 LE

I think I am the only one who does not like that rubber strap :whistle:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:14 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
spring-diver wrote:

Seiko SPB149 LE

I really like the watch face itself, but I’m with you on the rubber strap Terry.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:22 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:14 pm
I really like the watch face itself, but I’m on you with the rubber strap-on, Terry.
Typical Seiko. They always almost get it right. :lol:

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:54 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:06 pm
spring-diver wrote:

Seiko SPB149 LE

I’m not sure I like how it looks either. I need to see the buckle and keeper, though I think those are probably like the NAFT and Tunas. I don’t like textured straps. They get dirty and require a bristled brush to clean.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:00 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:21 am
dnslater wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:38 am
matt.wu wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:43 am
matt.wu wrote:
You guys made me dig a little more, as I have seen it stated in a couple articles about the watch release, but I can't find firm confirmation on Seiko's site.

The comments section of James Stacey's Hodinkee article indicates he's not 100% sure either after trying to find out from Seiko.

Either way, probably doesn't make a huge difference to me. If it's brushed steel, it looks great too. :mrgreen:
To me it looks like the finish of the SBBN015 bezel which I think it the nicest looking bezel of any watch I’ve ever handled. All the ceramic bezel watches I’ve owned were gloss and I’d rather aluminum over the polished ceramic. This one looks perfect.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:55 am

Not sure if these have been posted yet.Image

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:13 am

I think I want that one. It looks like the bracelet might be nicer, but without the ratchet clasp.