New no date GS divers

Discussion of Seiko watches
Post Reply
User avatar
Seppia
Posts: 4991
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 5:06 pm
Name: Andrea
Location: Italia

New no date GS divers

Post by Seppia » Tue May 07, 2019 2:09 pm

Image

Pic taken from WUS.

Quartz, no date, 43.6mm.

I love seiko, but the Japanese have this talent for just wearing you out.
Who the eff needs another gigantic sub?


User avatar
Seppia
Posts: 4991
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 5:06 pm
Name: Andrea
Location: Italia

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by Seppia » Tue May 07, 2019 2:12 pm

Image


User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 32713
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by hoppyjr » Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Samurai style case, bright colors, surely expensive. SMH

User avatar
TSD
Posts: 1633
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:47 am
Name: Tom
Location: So Fla

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by TSD » Tue May 07, 2019 2:55 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm
Samurai style case, bright colors, surely expensive. SMH
Kinda looks like the Ti case from the high beat GS diver. Those are cool but ginormous.

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by Torrid » Tue May 07, 2019 2:56 pm

Quartz diver is completely up my alley right now but the size of this and the yellow accents. Pass.

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 8349
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by streetracer101 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:17 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm
Samurai style case, bright colors, surely expensive. SMH
MSRP of $4300. GTHO. Seiko has lost their damn minds with pricing.

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by Torrid » Tue May 07, 2019 4:04 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:17 pm
hoppyjr wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm
Samurai style case, bright colors, surely expensive. SMH
MSRP of $4300. GTHO. Seiko has lost their damn minds with pricing.
For half that they might have an argument, but it’s just the wrong proportions. The Tuna is still the best value in Seiko quartz divers, but it would be nice to have a dressier looking more traditional option too.

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 16040
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ithaca, NY USA

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Honestly, I don’t understand how Seiko doesn’t go out of business.

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by Torrid » Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm
Honestly, I don’t understand how Seiko doesn’t go out of business.
I guess they are selling enough Tunas and NAFTs.

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 16040
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ithaca, NY USA

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue May 07, 2019 4:39 pm

Torrid wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm
Honestly, I don’t understand how Seiko doesn’t go out of business.
I guess they are selling enough Tunas and NAFTs.
Yeah. Clearly, releasing a million different huge models that nobody buys doesn’t really harm them. I can’t think of a brand that offers such a huge number of watches that SEEM to be almost universally hated. Maybe somebody buys all those butt ugly SD chronographs? I’ve never met someone who has.

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by Torrid » Tue May 07, 2019 4:50 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:39 pm
Torrid wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm
Honestly, I don’t understand how Seiko doesn’t go out of business.
I guess they are selling enough Tunas and NAFTs.
Yeah. Clearly, releasing a million different huge models that nobody buys doesn’t really harm them. I can’t think of a brand that offers such a huge number of watches that SEEM to be almost universally hated. Maybe somebody buys all those butt ugly SD chronographs? I’ve never met someone who has.
Must be it. They’ve made the Marinemaster worse. It’s not bad it’s just less iconic looking with that stupid PS “X”. It’s unobtrusive on the Tuna being only on the crown, but I really don’t like it on the NAFT, though easier to forgive at that price. The SD versions of everything are all larger than they need to be. I like that one Presage Chrono with the 8R48 auto, but given its price it does not seem popular. I really don’t get what’s going on over there. The prices keep going up and unless they are popular affordable models or ridiculously priced popular LEs I can’t imagine they are moving many watches.

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4684
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by sierra11b » Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Torrid wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm
Honestly, I don’t understand how Seiko doesn’t go out of business.
I guess they are selling enough Tunas and NAFTs.
And tens of thousands of strip mall watches in the $100-300 range across the world. :shrug:

I bet this wears well with the samuari-style case but if I'm getting a GS quartz it would be their latest true GMT.

GS quartz (or any GS) seems like a watch you need to buy from a domestic AD at discount so you don't have to deal with the headache of service and can just send it back to the shop you bought it from so they can deal with the hassle and correspondence.

I've bought from Higuichi and Chino on the idea their warrantied watches could be serviced with an email or two by my fluent Japanese wife on sending it back directly to Seiko, but even that didn't stick for me. I'm done sending watches overseas on my watch with the exception of my personally engraved Dornbluth 99.1, but I'm stuck with that one.

It's been awhile since I researched Seiko USA's capabilities... Can they swap the GS battery and pressure test?

User avatar
TSD
Posts: 1633
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:47 am
Name: Tom
Location: So Fla

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by TSD » Tue May 07, 2019 6:19 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 pm

It's been awhile since I researched Seiko USA's capabilities... Can they swap the GS battery and pressure test?
Seiko’s Service Center in Mahwah did warranty service on my GS Spring Drive diver (replaced scratched crystal, serviced movement), all at no cost. :thumbsup:

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by Torrid » Tue May 07, 2019 6:21 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 pm
Torrid wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm
Honestly, I don’t understand how Seiko doesn’t go out of business.
I guess they are selling enough Tunas and NAFTs.
And tens of thousands of strip mall watches in the $100-300 range across the world. :shrug:

I bet this wears well with the samuari-style case but if I'm getting a GS quartz it would be their latest true GMT.

GS quartz (or any GS) seems like a watch you need to buy from a domestic AD at discount so you don't have to deal with the headache of service and can just send it back to the shop you bought it from so they can deal with the hassle and correspondence.

I've bought from Higuichi and Chino on the idea their warrantied watches could be serviced with an email or two by my fluent Japanese wife on sending it back directly to Seiko, but even that didn't stick for me. I'm done sending watches overseas on my watch with the exception of my personally engraved Dornbluth 99.1, but I'm stuck with that one.

It's been awhile since I researched Seiko USA's capabilities... Can they swap the GS battery and pressure test?
I would assume they’d offer the service. I have a coupon for battery service for my Tuna, but it has a Japanese warranty card and mentions it has to return to the selling dealer for the complimentary battery change.

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by Torrid » Tue May 07, 2019 6:22 pm

TSD wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:19 pm
sierra11b wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 pm

It's been awhile since I researched Seiko USA's capabilities... Can they swap the GS battery and pressure test?
Seiko’s Service Center in Mahwah did warranty service on my GS Spring Drive diver (replaced scratched crystal, serviced movement), all at no cost. :thumbsup:
Scratched crystal? Was it sapphire? I know it can happen to sapphire but it’s much less likely.

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4684
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by sierra11b » Tue May 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Torrid wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:22 pm
TSD wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:19 pm
sierra11b wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 pm

It's been awhile since I researched Seiko USA's capabilities... Can they swap the GS battery and pressure test?
Seiko’s Service Center in Mahwah did warranty service on my GS Spring Drive diver (replaced scratched crystal, serviced movement), all at no cost. :thumbsup:
Scratched crystal? Was it sapphire? I know it can happen to sapphire but it’s much less likely.
It can happen. I had it happen to my 116710LN after a brisk wrist brush with some stainless steel in the kitchen I was running. Put a nice clean line through the crystal and the ceramic bezel! Amazing the bezel didn't snap and there wasn't a scratch on the SS bezel itself. I ended-up flipping it at a significant cost for a used milgauss GV with a "trusted seller" plus $500 IIRC. Didn't want the headache. :raised:

Granted I'd never do that again. Must have lost at least $1000 on that deal. Money was a bit better then.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43902
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by toxicavenger » Tue May 07, 2019 6:43 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:26 pm
Torrid wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:22 pm
TSD wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:19 pm
sierra11b wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 pm

It's been awhile since I researched Seiko USA's capabilities... Can they swap the GS battery and pressure test?
Seiko’s Service Center in Mahwah did warranty service on my GS Spring Drive diver (replaced scratched crystal, serviced movement), all at no cost. :thumbsup:
Scratched crystal? Was it sapphire? I know it can happen to sapphire but it’s much less likely.
It can happen. I had it happen to my 116710LN after a brisk wrist brush with some stainless steel in the kitchen I was running. Put a nice clean line through the crystal and the ceramic bezel! Amazing the bezel didn't snap and there wasn't a scratch on the SS bezel itself. I ended-up flipping it at a significant cost for a used milgauss GV with a "trusted seller" plus $500 IIRC. Didn't want the headache. :raised:
It definitely happens. I am thinking these days that the sappire used for watches is a different grade of sapphire than what they publish about only being "scratched by a diamond".

Seiko NJ replaced the battery in GS diver and pressure tested it. They can also service most US Grand Seiko's. JDM watches is another story though.

User avatar
TSD
Posts: 1633
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:47 am
Name: Tom
Location: So Fla

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by TSD » Tue May 07, 2019 7:29 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:43 pm
sierra11b wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:26 pm
Torrid wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:22 pm
TSD wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:19 pm
sierra11b wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 pm

It's been awhile since I researched Seiko USA's capabilities... Can they swap the GS battery and pressure test?
Seiko’s Service Center in Mahwah did warranty service on my GS Spring Drive diver (replaced scratched crystal, serviced movement), all at no cost. :thumbsup:
Scratched crystal? Was it sapphire? I know it can happen to sapphire but it’s much less likely.
It can happen. I had it happen to my 116710LN after a brisk wrist brush with some stainless steel in the kitchen I was running. Put a nice clean line through the crystal and the ceramic bezel! Amazing the bezel didn't snap and there wasn't a scratch on the SS bezel itself. I ended-up flipping it at a significant cost for a used milgauss GV with a "trusted seller" plus $500 IIRC. Didn't want the headache. :raised:
It definitely happens. I am thinking these days that the sappire used for watches is a different grade of sapphire than what they publish about only being "scratched by a diamond".

Seiko NJ replaced the battery in GS diver and pressure tested it. They can also service most US Grand Seiko's. JDM watches is another story though.
Sapphire meet wife’s diamond ring. One quick blow and it left a nice clean scratch in the crystal. And not just any sapphire, mind you, but a “high definition sapphire” according to Joe Kirk. He had me send it into Mahwah, and GS Service covered the replacement crystal and a whole movement service under warranty. I am still beyond stoked, since my watch was at least 5 years old when I purchased from Feldmar. Made me appreciate their CS and more importantly, the brand as a whole.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Posts: 10081
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:03 am
Name: Jeff

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by JBZ » Wed May 08, 2019 6:19 am

sierra11b wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 pm
Torrid wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm
Honestly, I don’t understand how Seiko doesn’t go out of business.
I guess they are selling enough Tunas and NAFTs.
And tens of thousands of strip mall watches in the $100-300 range across the world. :shrug:
I think it's a lot of this. My guess is that a huge percentage of folks who wear a watch have owned a Seiko at some point in their life. I wore a basic Seiko quartz watch from high school until a few years after law school. They're arguably the most ubiquitous watch brand in the world. Maybe them and Timex?

My guess is that it costs Seiko next to nothing to pump out their quartz "mall watches." While they're reasonably priced to the consumer, I'm sure the mark-up is huge.

Which allows them to put out watches that no one asked for or needs - like these.
Image

User avatar
Seppia
Posts: 4991
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 5:06 pm
Name: Andrea
Location: Italia

New no date GS divers

Post by Seppia » Wed May 08, 2019 7:18 am

Timex is essentially America only.
Seiko is worldwide, and has a near duopoly (with Casio) on wrists across the developing countries in Asia.

I would bet seiko sells at least ten times more watches than timex

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43902
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by toxicavenger » Wed May 08, 2019 8:50 am

shitty pics like always but the case shape reminds me of the previous quartz sport watches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Posts: 10081
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:03 am
Name: Jeff

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by JBZ » Wed May 08, 2019 8:51 am

Seppia wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:18 am
Timex is essentially America only.
Seiko is worldwide, and has a near duopoly (with Casio) on wrists across the developing countries in Asia.

I would bet seiko sells at least ten times more watches than timex
You're probably right. I thought Timex did pretty good international business with its Ironman line, but maybe it is just the US. And I forgot about Casio - you can get a G Shock that does everything a Timex Ironman does, and more.
Image

User avatar
FoulOwl On The Prowl
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:11 pm
Name: Steve

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by FoulOwl On The Prowl » Thu May 09, 2019 2:59 pm

IMG_5091.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests