Blumo Woes...

Discussion of Seiko watches
stupops
Name: Stuart

Blumo Woes...

Post by stupops » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:32 am

So I finally bought myself a Blumo SPDC 003....
Have wanted one forever. Started on the Sports 150 in 1996 then had baby tunas, Sportura and Kinetic Dives. All great watches. The sports 150 I still wear today from time to time

The Blumo arrived this morning and I fell in love. Its beautiful.

However, after a single days wear I have come to the conclusion that it might be too big for me. I have big hands and small wrists. The crown also digs into my hand a bit.....

I feel blue...

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: Blumo Woes...

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:36 am

It’s a big watch. You should try a SRP773 Turdle. It’s a great looking blue dial in a more wearable size.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:41 pm

I feel your pain. The Sumo is a very nice watch with great details. I have bought and sold black orange and blue. Lug length is just a bit longer than I can tolerate. You might try the Samurai, titanium if you can find it.
The Hapa

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:49 pm

The Blumo was my first experience with an erratic 6R15. Shame. Just couldn't regulate the damn thing or figure it out. It's a watch that could certainly use a wider lug width too. I have 7.5" wrists and it worked but it's a design that works well for those with mortadella wrists.

I was going to say stay the course and see if it grows on you but a crown that irritates the wrist is a no-go and a sure flip.

The SRP773 Blue is one of my favorite Turdles but darker blue than the blumo. But if you put it on Strapcode Super Jubilee it's a joy to wear... Not that I don't like the look of the OEM bracelet but it's a PITA double bushing adjust. If you get the bracelet you can flip it for $50-60 no problem in LNIB condition. I've sold about 4 OEM turdle bracelets in <2 weeks over the years. Just sold one here in three days flat last week.

There's also the SRPC39J1 "baby turdle" but I've never tried one. Has a cyclops but I'm sure one of the aftermarket parts gurus has a sapphire crystal for it if that's not your thing. I only mention it because the blue looks a little more vivid than the SRP773. Samurai is a great choice too with a shorter much more approachable lug-to-lug width but I don't know if they offer a pure blue version yet... give Seiko a week or two. :lol:

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:26 pm

I love the Sumo. I still want another even though I know the watch is too big for me. I may buy a Blumo soon since after the orange and black, it’s the only version of the regular models I haven’t owned.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:46 pm

My wrist is 7" and flat on top and I can barely pull it off. Due to the case shape I find it really comfortable to wear though. I recently sold my Blumo, but will keep my Orange Sumo regardless.

chronolector

Post by chronolector » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:43 pm

My experience is different. I have 6-inch wrists but I like my Sumo.

The thing that bugs me about it is the misaligned/misprinted chapter ring. I’ll have it fixed after a few years though to maintain the water resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:28 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:46 pm
My wrist is 7" and flat on top and I can barely pull it off. Due to the case shape I find it really comfortable to wear though. I recently sold my Blumo, but will keep my Orange Sumo regardless.
Stop it. You are making me want another blumo.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:11 am

Love the look of a sumo. But it was too heavy and too long of lugs for me to stick with it.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

stupops

Post by stupops » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:44 am

Really helpful chaps. Thank you.
I think have two options - put on weight quickly (not the worst thing in the world as I love curry and beer) or have a look at some alternatives.

Gonna check out some turtles.
Its such a shame. The design is perfect - but I really didn't think it would be this big on me.

Thanks guys.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:19 pm

stupops wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:44 am
I think have two options - put on weight quickly (not the worst thing in the world as I love curry and beer) or have a look at some alternatives.

Its such a shame. The design is perfect - but I really didn't think it would be this big on me.

Thanks guys.
The Turtle is great. I’ve bounced through many watches and with the domed sapphire crystal I enjoy it a lot more than most I’ve had for less money than others. Plus it’s excellent on nearly any strap. It’s good on the bracelet but after I started on switching out straps it hasn’t seen a bracelet since.

chronolector

Post by chronolector » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:48 pm

59yukon01 wrote:My wrist is 7" and flat on top and I can barely pull it off. Due to the case shape I find it really comfortable to wear though. I recently sold my Blumo, but will keep my Orange Sumo regardless.
Your Blumo fits your wrist perfectly.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:23 pm

I think it wears well enough for what the Sumo is and certainly not small on your wrist given that fact, but I can see the concern with someone that might not be used to the overall size. I'd go with option 1 as I love curry and beer, too. :mrgreen:

In all honesty the doubt is already in your head and will eat away at you like a cancer. Take the watch off and come back to it in a couple weeks... If you haven't convinced yourself it's not correct then list.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Torrid wrote:
stupops wrote:

Thanks guys.
The Turtle is great. I’ve bounced through many watches and with the domed sapphire crystal I enjoy it a lot more than most I’ve had for less money than others. Plus it’s excellent on nearly any strap. It’s good on the bracelet but after I started on switching out straps it hasn’t seen a bracelet since.

It’s Not A Fucking Turtle and I believe you know it..... :tap:

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:20 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:52 pm
Torrid wrote:
stupops wrote:

Thanks guys.

It’s Not A Fucking Turtle and I believe you know it..... :tap:
Haha roger that. Unusual for me not to use NAFT. I may have been :drinkingbuddies: when I posted this.

FoulOwl On The Prowl
Name: Steve

Post by FoulOwl On The Prowl » Thu May 09, 2019 3:41 pm

59yukon01 wrote:My wrist is 7" and flat on top and I can barely pull it off. Due to the case shape I find it really comfortable to wear though. I recently sold my Blumo, but will keep my Orange Sumo regardless.
That looks great! Can’t remember where I got this pic but I also love the look of it with this aftermarket ceramic bezel. Killer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stupops

Post by stupops » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:06 pm

Well...after nearly a year and having it on a rubber strap I managed to live with it.
I couldn't get rid - it was something I always wanted.
One arm is slightly longer than the other these days.

However. Its time for a bit of tarting up so I purchased a new crystal (crystaltimes) and bezel insert (LCBI) as xmas pressies to myself.
Not sure if anyone has recommendations to fit them?
There is a guy in North Tawton (devon where I live). Watchkings. Anyone had dealings?
Happy new year all.

Luckyshot
Name: Jose vasquez

Post by Luckyshot » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:41 pm

I love the Blumo, it wears a little big even on my 7” wrist so I stick with 1968 reinterpretation or MM200s.