Seiko PADI mod

Discussion of Seiko watches
User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43893
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:13 pm

This was the first one he did for me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 24974
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Seiko PADI mod

Post by BBK357 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:53 am

toxicavenger wrote:This was the first one he did for me
That is perfect.
What kind of sapphire? Double dome or the big bubble ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43893
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:32 am

BBK357 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:53 am
toxicavenger wrote:This was the first one he did for me
That is perfect.
What kind of sapphire? Double dome or the big bubble ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flat top crystal times

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4681
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by sierra11b » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:01 pm

So here is it on the new 82D All American "AA" Olongapo which arrived today as well. Love it.

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 32706
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:21 pm

New old school. :clap:

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4681
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by sierra11b » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Yep

I shared the pics with Jaffy Jurado and he thought it was a crystal mod 6306... I told him to check the dial for the Prospex "X"

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43893
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:01 pm
So here is it on the new 82D All American "AA" Olongapo which arrived today as well. Love it.
That looks really cool.

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 24974
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by BBK357 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:00 pm

Nice


What crystal is that? CT double dome?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

CarloDWC
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:08 am
Name: Carlo

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by CarloDWC » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:46 am

Can't really get into the patina thing, however I do like the PADI. Here is mine, really nice dial.

IMG_8573.JPG
IMG_8577.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4681
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by sierra11b » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:57 am

BBK357 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:00 pm
Nice


What crystal is that? CT double dome?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Harold bubble boy.

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by Torrid » Fri May 17, 2019 3:26 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:46 am
Got a quick photo of his finished mod. Asked it be a bit lighter than normal.

Can't wait to get it!

Image
I can’t believe I missed this until now. I love the look. I’ve been thinking of attempting the bleach bezel myself. Your lume aging looks much better than most I’ve seen, much more natural looking.

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by Torrid » Sun May 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Took a swing at this today. Wasn’t as quick or dramatic as I thought. The fading on my bezel isn’t super apparent in low light, but it did kill some of the gloss and matches the dial better. It shows the most fade near the minute dots. I thought I would have had problems with it ghosting out extremely fast, but it took a long time to get to this using full strength straight Clorox bleach.

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43893
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by toxicavenger » Sun May 19, 2019 8:51 pm

^^Nice. Try putting it in a ziplock bag with the bleach on top of insert.

User avatar
BacoNoir
Posts: 2715
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 6:33 pm
Name: Roger
Location: Colorado

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by BacoNoir » Sun May 19, 2019 8:54 pm

Nice! I missed the original thread, but the aged Luke on these is nicely done with a light touch.
Image

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4681
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by sierra11b » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:47 am

Another one from Rane. I asked this one be a shade darker. I might give the bezel a 5 second dance in acid once it arrives just to give it a slight fade without the black going into the blue/purplish color.

Image
Image

User avatar
Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Posts: 11323
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:36 am
Name: Joe
Location: Puerto Rico

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by Joeprez » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:58 am

Torrid wrote:Took a swing at this today. Wasn’t as quick or dramatic as I thought. The fading on my bezel isn’t super apparent in low light, but it did kill some of the gloss and matches the dial better. It shows the most fade near the minute dots. I thought I would have had problems with it ghosting out extremely fast, but it took a long time to get to this using full strength straight Clorox bleach.

Image
Image
Image
That looks nice. Did you apply the clorox straight to the bezel using the qtip?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

Image

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Hamilton / Seiko / Citizen / G Shock

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by Torrid » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:05 am

Joeprez wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:58 am
Torrid wrote:Took a swing at this today. Wasn’t as quick or dramatic as I thought. The fading on my bezel isn’t super apparent in low light, but it did kill some of the gloss and matches the dial better. It shows the most fade near the minute dots. I thought I would have had problems with it ghosting out extremely fast, but it took a long time to get to this using full strength straight Clorox bleach.

Image
Image
Image
That looks nice. Did you apply the clorox straight to the bezel using the qtip?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mostly used them to clean off the bleach after soaking, but I tried that a couple of times. For the most part soaking the whole bezel in a small bowl of bleach was probably the most effective. I’m not sure applying bleach would be as even.

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4681
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by sierra11b » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:16 am

I use the same stuff for my titanium etching - whink rust remover. First I clean with toothbrush and alcohol wearing gloves.

Takes about 45seconds to get to that level so you need windex to stop the process and then water to rinse immediately. Never touch the whink as it’s hydroflouric acid based.

I think bleach works faster on older Seiko bezels. I remember leaving the srp777 bezel in straight bleach for two hours without a change.

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Seiko PADI mod

Post by Torrid » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:08 am

sierra11b wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:16 am
I use the same stuff for my titanium etching - whink rust remover. First I clean with toothbrush and alcohol wearing gloves.

Takes about 45seconds to get to that level so you need windex to stop the process and then water to rinse immediately. Never touch the whink as it’s hydroflouric acid based.

I think bleach works faster on older Seiko bezels. I remember leaving the srp777 bezel in straight bleach for two hours without a change.
Yeah this modern bezel took awhile to show any change. I think most of it was due to rubbing the bleach with the q tips which sped it up a bit.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: R@cerx and 3 guests