another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Discussion of Seiko watches
User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25028
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by BBK357 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:48 pm

sierra11b wrote:Not sure I buy that.

Ben’s right. People have been wanting a new flavor of this watch for years and could have sold a lot more than 1954 units.

All it did was give hodinkee a fat margin an Seiko some arguably insignificant brand recognition.

If I still owned an alpinist bracelet I’d list today for $300. A lot of fools with money

This is exactly it.

For those of us who have been Seiko fans for many years we are SOL for a dial color that actually looks good.

But for the Hodinkee crowd, LE lovers,blog followers they are in luck. They get a watch that the rest of us have been wanting for years, and now it’ll sell for 3X the price used.

Hodinkee has completely blown up the vintage market. Rolex and Tudor market. Now heading for Seiko. Hell, even bourbon has been effected. I hope these shits find something else to get into and ruin that I am not into.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
3migo
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:17 pm
Name: Russell
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by 3migo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:00 pm

Hey a heads up for you all who missed out, it looks like the Seiko boutique in Miami is going to be offering the rest of the batch. Apparently Hodinkee only got a portion of the 1959 unit run. Image

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 14264
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by dukerules » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:36 pm

What am I missing with this watch? Looks OK, but $600?

User avatar
r.palace
Posts: 6939
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Tray-O-Five

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by r.palace » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:03 pm

3migo wrote:Hey a heads up for you all who missed out, it looks like the Seiko boutique in Miami is going to be offering the rest of the batch. Apparently Hodinkee only got a portion of the 1959 unit run. Image
The Miami boutique are good people. If for whatever reason they’re not able to ship or they can only hold at the store I’ll be happy to help someone out and get it out to them
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4722
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by sierra11b » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:13 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:48 pm
Hodinkee has completely blown up the vintage market. Rolex and Tudor market. Now heading for Seiko. Hell, even bourbon has been effected. I hope these shits find something else to get into and ruin that I am not into.
Hipsters have destroyed everything they put their paws on. I can no longer afford my birthyear Rolex (or Tudor) or my beloved Yamazaki 18 :angryfire:

We should get in on the vintage phone market. Pack all the technology of the latest iphones and samsungs into block-style Zack Morris cell phones. We'll make millions. :rolleyes:

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 31793
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:00 pm

Not what I expected.

Image
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by Chocodove » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:02 pm

CGSshorty wrote:Not what I expected.

Image
I was excepting A: a lighter shade of blue and B: it to be slightly more matte.
- Todd

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25028
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by BBK357 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:16 pm

sierra11b wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:48 pm
Hodinkee has completely blown up the vintage market. Rolex and Tudor market. Now heading for Seiko. Hell, even bourbon has been effected. I hope these shits find something else to get into and ruin that I am not into.
Hipsters have destroyed everything they put their paws on.....

Except for poon. Seems to be an endless ocean of it.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 44073
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:17 pm

r.palace wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:03 pm
3migo wrote:Hey a heads up for you all who missed out, it looks like the Seiko boutique in Miami is going to be offering the rest of the batch. Apparently Hodinkee only got a portion of the 1959 unit run. Image
The Miami boutique are good people. If for whatever reason they’re not able to ship or they can only hold at the store I’ll be happy to help someone out and get it out to them
How do you place the pre-order?

User avatar
tmw
Posts: 2851
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:10 pm
Name: The Enabler
Location: Philly

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by tmw » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:18 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:17 pm
r.palace wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:03 pm
3migo wrote:Hey a heads up for you all who missed out, it looks like the Seiko boutique in Miami is going to be offering the rest of the batch. Apparently Hodinkee only got a portion of the 1959 unit run. Image
The Miami boutique are good people. If for whatever reason they’re not able to ship or they can only hold at the store I’ll be happy to help someone out and get it out to them
How do you place the pre-order?
Call them. They are taking preorders. They knew all about it and just started taking preorder deposits this afternoon.
“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

User avatar
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Posts: 7631
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 am
Name: David
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:19 pm

CGSshorty wrote:Not what I expected.

Image
Have to say that doesn't look like the Hodinkee pictures at all. I didn't think it was a polished case either.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 44073
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:28 pm

tmw wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:18 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:17 pm
r.palace wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:03 pm
3migo wrote:Hey a heads up for you all who missed out, it looks like the Seiko boutique in Miami is going to be offering the rest of the batch. Apparently Hodinkee only got a portion of the 1959 unit run. Image
The Miami boutique are good people. If for whatever reason they’re not able to ship or they can only hold at the store I’ll be happy to help someone out and get it out to them
How do you place the pre-order?
Call them. They are taking preorders. They knew all about it and just started taking preorder deposits this afternoon.
Weird I called them the day hodokee dropped theirs and they had no idea if they would get any. good to hear they are

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 44073
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:30 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:19 pm
CGSshorty wrote:Not what I expected.

Image
Have to say that doesn't look like the Hodinkee pictures at all. I didn't think it was a polished case either.
In the hodonkee pics it looks like had a brushed bezel. :scratch:

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4722
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by sierra11b » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:39 pm

Haha. Looks totally different.

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25028
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by BBK357 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:47 pm

CGSshorty wrote:Not what I expected.

Image

That can’t be the same watch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Posts: 7687
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:50 am
Name: J

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by aikiman44 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Not a flattering pic.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

User avatar
3migo
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:17 pm
Name: Russell
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by 3migo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:59 pm

Here's another owner pic Image

User avatar
tmw
Posts: 2851
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:10 pm
Name: The Enabler
Location: Philly

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by tmw » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:34 pm

So much better than the green.
“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 28264
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by matt.wu » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Looks like the same watch to me...
:htfu:

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 7838
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:00 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:19 pm
CGSshorty wrote:Not what I expected.

Image
Have to say that doesn't look like the Hodinkee pictures at all. I didn't think it was a polished case either.
In the hodonkee pics it looks like had a brushed bezel. :scratch:
Yah I thought it would be brushed. I don't really align with the shiny. No longer interested.
The Hapa

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4722
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by sierra11b » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:07 pm

That second pic looks a lot better.

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25028
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by BBK357 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:07 pm

matt.wu wrote:Looks like the same watch to me...

This looks brushed with a matte dial

Image
-
Image
-
Image
-
Image
Last edited by BBK357 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25028
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by BBK357 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:11 pm

3migo wrote:Saw some folks already got theirs today.

Just got this email from the dinkster. Guess I'll just go fuck myself over here. Image

If this is reference to my post- I have nothing against the watch or owning one. It’s about Seiko’s choices. And Hodinkee ruining shit.
If this was a regular model I would probably pick this up.
Maybe Seiko will release with another dial color soon? Who knows, but they’ll probably slap a big X on the dial just to make sure they fuck that up too.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 28264
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by matt.wu » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:23 pm

I actually meant that it looks like the original. So I don’t quite get the hype for it. If this was regular production and not a Hodinkee LE, I guarantee it’d be gathering dust on the shelves.

Maybe the Hodinkee effect is just bringing it to everyone’s attention, but I swear I never saw much love for the original version.
:htfu:

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25028
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by BBK357 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:46 pm

matt.wu wrote:I actually meant that it looks like the original. So I don’t quite get the hype for it. If this was regular production and not a Hodinkee LE, I guarantee it’d be gathering dust on the shelves.

Maybe the Hodinkee effect is just bringing it to everyone’s attention, but I swear I never saw much love for the original version.

It’s one of those watches that I always wanted to try but hated the dial color.
If Seiko did blue or black it would be a lot more popular than it ever was.
Yes- I think the Hodinkee hype does just that.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Axelay2003, toxicavenger and 18 guests