another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Discussion of Seiko watches
2thvet
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by 2thvet » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:16 pm

Now that was fast, all sold out! Shows you the power and reach of Hodinkee, probably lots of up market folks purchases too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk


User avatar
Seppia
Posts: 4936
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 5:06 pm
Name: Andrea
Location: Italia

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by Seppia » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:45 pm

I would have bought one but wasn’t fast enough.
Great watch in great size

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43745
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:39 pm

2thvet wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:16 pm
Now that was fast, all sold out! Shows you the power and reach of Hodinkee, probably lots of up market folks purchases too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
totally

User avatar
Selym
Posts: 1904
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by Selym » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:00 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:51 am
3migo wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:50 am
toxicavenger wrote:
3migo wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:08 am
Really wanted to dislike it because of the Dink factor, but damn I love this.

Never got into the green color before hand, but the blue and upgraded movement sent me over the edge. Order placed. I'll post up some pics when it arrives.
the movement is the same as before, they were 6r15's
Was the original really a 6R? I thought they had the 4R. Huh. Never mind then.
nope
The generation before the 6R15-powered models used the 25-jewel, 28800 bph 4S15. So, the 6R15 is kind of a downgrade from that. :shrug:

Photo from The Ultimate Seiko Alpinist Collectors Guide

Image

User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 1256
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by bedlam » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:13 pm

Nice watch.

One weirdness is Hodinkee saying that the compass function only works in the Northern Hemisphere. WTF??

Silly me keeps assuming Hodonkee knows what it is talking about and being surprised when they clearly don't.

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 24947
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by BBK357 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:35 pm

Two well know facts:

1- People love this watch and size of it

2- Most people think the green looks like shit


So what does Seiko do? Let Hodinkee come up with a dial color that 95% of people like then sell it as an LE. Fuck Seiko. Fuck Hodinkee. Just when I thought Seiko couldn’t walk across the room without stepping on their own dick- Hodinkee just stepped on it for them.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 7758
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:59 pm

Unbeatable value at $600? Feels wrong to me but then again I'm having trouble feeling much need to shell out more cash for more watches anyhow.
The Hapa

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43745
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:13 pm

i wonder if other seiko boutiques will get it?

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43745
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:15 pm

people are saying they already received tracking info

if anyone wants to dump one let me know. i will blow u for it

User avatar
four20
Posts: 2919
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:36 pm
Name: erik
Location: Maine coast

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by four20 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:25 pm

toxicavenger wrote:i wonder if other seiko boutiques will get it?
You can buy it thru Seiko USA apparently

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk


User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43745
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:51 pm

four20 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:25 pm
toxicavenger wrote:i wonder if other seiko boutiques will get it?
You can buy it thru Seiko USA apparently

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk
:scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Selym
Posts: 1904
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by Selym » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:44 pm

bedlam wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:13 pm
Nice watch.

One weirdness is Hodinkee saying that the compass function only works in the Northern Hemisphere. WTF??

Silly me keeps assuming Hodonkee knows what it is talking about and being surprised when they clearly don't.
Works equally well in the Southern Hemisphere, with a slightly different technique (i.e. lining up the 12 o'clock marker with the Sun, and bisecting the angle between the 12 o'clock marker and the hour hand to find North).

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5922
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by Torrid » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:44 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:35 pm
Two well know facts:

1- People love this watch and size of it

2- Most people think the green looks like shit


So what does Seiko do? Let Hodinkee come up with a dial color that 95% of people like then sell it as an LE. Fuck Seiko. Fuck Hodinkee. Just when I thought Seiko couldn’t walk across the room without stepping on their own dick- Hodinkee just stepped on it for them.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Way to go Seiko. As if making most dive watches too large to wear on anything other than your ankle wasn’t enough.

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 32461
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:31 am

toxicavenger wrote:people are saying they already received tracking info

if anyone wants to dump one let me know. i will blow u for it
I don’t have one ordered but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.


User avatar
Rob.B
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:34 pm
Name: Rob
Location: UK

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by Rob.B » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:29 am

The madness begins...Theres one for £1900
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... pell_check

User avatar
1954Selmer
Posts: 3217
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:07 pm
Name: arce

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by 1954Selmer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:53 am

I like the color and size, but dang that price increase.

User avatar
pbj204
Posts: 1615
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:47 am
Name: Paul
Location: New York

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by pbj204 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:22 am

Hard to find fault with this one. Its pretty much perfect.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43745
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:59 am

pbj204 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:22 am
Hard to find fault with this one. Its pretty much perfect.
agreed

User avatar
3migo
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:17 pm
Name: Russell
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by 3migo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:39 am

Some guys are already getting theirs in today.

I haven't even gotten tracking yet.

User avatar
four20
Posts: 2919
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:36 pm
Name: erik
Location: Maine coast

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by four20 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:19 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:51 pm
four20 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:25 pm
toxicavenger wrote:i wonder if other seiko boutiques will get it?
You can buy it thru Seiko USA apparently

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk
:scratch:
i dunno, i was just regurgitating information :shrug:
Hodonkey wrote:The HODINKEE Shop is the only retailer to be offering this exciting new release other than Seiko themselves, and we don't expect our limited supply to last long.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 43745
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:30 am

four20 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:19 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:51 pm
four20 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:25 pm
toxicavenger wrote:i wonder if other seiko boutiques will get it?
You can buy it thru Seiko USA apparently

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk
:scratch:
i dunno, i was just regurgitating information :shrug:
Hodonkey wrote:The HODINKEE Shop is the only retailer to be offering this exciting new release other than Seiko themselves, and we don't expect our limited supply to last long.
wow knows. I called 2 seiko boutiques and they have no idea if they can get one. hodonkee is so full of smoke and mirrors no telling with their info

User avatar
3migo
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:17 pm
Name: Russell
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by 3migo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:01 am

Saw some folks already got theirs today.

Just got this email from the dinkster. Guess I'll just go fuck myself over here. Image

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4640
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by sierra11b » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:00 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:35 pm
Two well know facts:

1- People love this watch and size of it

2- Most people think the green looks like shit


So what does Seiko do? Let Hodinkee come up with a dial color that 95% of people like then sell it as an LE. Fuck Seiko. Fuck Hodinkee. Just when I thought Seiko couldn’t walk across the room without stepping on their own dick- Hodinkee just stepped on it for them.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

Getting really tired of Seiko’s direction.

If it weren’t for me wanting to mod another NAFT I’d likely be purely vintage Seiko at this point.

Makes me wonder if Hodonkey has other Seiko LEs in the queue? If they didn’t I’m sure they’re thinking about one now.

User avatar
tmw
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:10 pm
Name: The Enabler
Location: Philly

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by tmw » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:23 pm

Look. Les are all the rage these days and looks like good business decisions for the seller.

Toppers. Hodinkee. Timeless. I know there are others.

This is becoming the new strategy.
“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4640
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: another Hodinkee collaboration: seiko alpinist

Post by sierra11b » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Not sure I buy that.

Ben’s right. People have been wanting a new flavor of this watch for years and could have sold a lot more than 1954 units.

All it did was give hodinkee a fat margin an Seiko some arguably insignificant brand recognition.

If I still owned an alpinist bracelet I’d list today for $300. A lot of fools with money

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests