Credit Where It Is Due...

Discussion of Seiko watches
namor
Name: Seth

Credit Where It Is Due...

Post by namor » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:17 pm

Pic added for other reasons -
seik39.jpg

I have been vocal in highlighting Randall Benson's terrible business practices in the past. Nothing I've learned in the interim has changed my mind either. But his work as Dr. Seiko is just spectacular. I have owned several of his Hands Of Time 6309s (aka HOT '09), and they are top of the line good.

I've been wearing this one - my last - for 10 days straight. It doesn't hack, so I can't be exact, but the minute hand is hitting the minute markers right on the money versus NIST for the entire time. So it may be off a wee bit, but its a 35 year old mechanical movement (6309) essentially keeping quartz time. And the work was done over 8 years ago.
hot '09.jpg
In addition to his complete rebuild of the movement, replacing any parts that were not up to his standards, he beadblasted the watch case, bezel and bezel insert. Then added a sapphire slightly domed crystal. And put in the Marathon sourced Type II dial with trit tube handset and markers which glow brightly all night long. Crown screws down smoothly, and its been underwater without mishap.

I don't know if he still makes watches anymore, and he's still a dick, but there's no denying he has a magic touch on these watches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by namor on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: Credit Where It Is Due...

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:22 pm

You are totally right he does have the magic touch. Not to mention he helped out a ton with his tutorials. I have to say he was one of the best modder's hands down. But he is a kook.