Seiko SBDC053 review

Discussion of Seiko watches
Post Reply
User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 39441
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Seiko SBDC053 review

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:16 pm

My buddy in Denver, James Smith (thejames80 on ig) just did a review for Worn and Wound. http://wornandwound.com/review/seiko-pr ... 53-review/

Hey was pretty excited about it and I was glad they gave him a chance.

I got to try out the SBDC053 when we both traveled to Wind Up. I have to say the quality was as good as the MM and it wore a lot better imo.

Either way if you get them time check it out.
Last edited by toxicavenger on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Posts: 5684
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 am
Name: David
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Seiko SBDC053 review

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:34 pm

I had read that earlier today. Good write up and pictures. Like a pro.
Image

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 29324
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Seiko SBDC053 review

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 pm

That watch looks fantastic on your blue/grey strap, Terry.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 39441
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Seiko SBDC053 review

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:52 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 pm
That watch looks fantastic on your blue/grey strap, Terry.
It does. It person it matches the markers perfectly.

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 28130
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Seiko SBDC053 review

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Nice write up James!

I'd like to see a side profile of the watch on nato straps.

User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 938
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: Seiko SBDC053 review

Post by bedlam » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:14 pm

Good review. I completely disagree with him about the strap though.

The new Prospex dive strap is one of the best dive straps I've ever used. Perfect flexibility and the keeper and buckle are of high quality. Its similar to the old Tuna strap but better.

They retail for around $50. I'd like to see him point out a better dive strap for the money.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 39441
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Seiko SBDC053 review

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:24 pm

bedlam wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:14 pm
Good review. I completely disagree with him about the strap though.

The new Prospex dive strap is one of the best dive straps I've ever used. Perfect flexibility and the keeper and buckle are of high quality. Its similar to the old Tuna strap but better.

They retail for around $50. I'd like to see him point out a better dive strap for the money.
I guess I didn't see anything negative he said about the silicone strap. All I saw him say is "Unfortunately, this material does seem to attract and pick up lint from clothing."

I agree with you, it is one of their best straps made. The Darth Tuna is the only one I like better. :salute:

User avatar
bedlam
Posts: 938
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm
Name: Carl
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)

Re: Seiko SBDC053 review

Post by bedlam » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:24 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:24 pm
bedlam wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:14 pm
Good review. I completely disagree with him about the strap though.

The new Prospex dive strap is one of the best dive straps I've ever used. Perfect flexibility and the keeper and buckle are of high quality. Its similar to the old Tuna strap but better.

They retail for around $50. I'd like to see him point out a better dive strap for the money.
I guess I didn't see anything negative he said about the silicone strap. All I saw him say is "Unfortunately, this material does seem to attract and pick up lint from clothing."

I agree with you, it is one of their best straps made. The Darth Tuna is the only one I like better. :salute:
Ha ha, you are correct. I went back and read it again and realised the first of the commenter posts contains the strap comment. Must have gotten cross-wired with the story content in my head.

Cheers.

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 4199
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: Seiko SBDC053 review

Post by Chocodove » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:56 am

Nice review. It’s a great watch and more than worth the price of admission IMO, but it just didn’t work for my 6.5” wrist. The MM300 case works better for me. The 053 felt very flat and long on my wrist. If I had a bigger wrist I would have kept it for sure.

- Todd

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 39441
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Seiko SBDC053 review

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:51 am

Chocodove wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:56 am
Nice review. It’s a great watch and more than worth the price of admission IMO, but it just didn’t work for my 6.5” wrist. The MM300 case works better for me. The 053 felt very flat and long on my wrist. If I had a bigger wrist I would have kept it for sure.
It is definitely a 180 degrees different on the way it wears compared to the MM. It is longer for sure and lower. The MM is taller and takes up less real estate. I have to say the quality is right up to the MM.

User avatar
spring-diver
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:29 am
Name: Shannon

Re: Seiko SBDC053 review

Post by spring-diver » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:30 pm

Excellent review! Everything said is spot on :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SBDX011, SBBN011, S23611J1, H558-5009, 6105-8119, 6309-7049, SRP777, SRPA21 PADI, SPB051

Aquadive: Bathyscaphe 300 & Bathyscaphe 300 DLC

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests