Grand Seiko Service FAQ

Discussion of Seiko watches
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Grand Seiko Service FAQ

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:36 pm

From Joe Kirk at the Seiko Boutique in Miami http://forums.watchuseek.com/f642/faq-r ... 03962.html :
FAQ regarding Grand Seiko Service

After seeing many questions pertaining to servicing for Grand Seiko on Watchuseek, Seiko USA has decided to answer some of the most frequently asked questions regarding Grand Seiko service. Please keep in mind these are strictly from Seiko USA, and certain items, such as price, may differ in other countries.

Q: Can Grand Seiko be serviced in the USA?

A: Yes, All calibers with the exception of the 9R86 and 9R96 Chronograph GMT can be serviced in the US. The 9R86 and 9R96 does require to be sent to Japan for service. Any 9R Chronograph series caliber will have to go to Japan for service.

Q: What are the approximate costs of servicing?

A: These are the base prices for an overhaul (includes disassembly, cleaning, re-lubrication, and adjustment) of Grand Seiko by caliber. These prices do not include any case or band parts, shipping, insurance, or any other costs that may occur. These prices are subject to change at any time. Please also realize that every situation of repair or service can be different. The watch would need to be inspected before a final quote can be provided. Watches that need to be repaired in Japan will incur an additional insurance and customs charge cost.

9F Quartz: $312.50
9S Mechanical: $375.00
9R Spring Drive: $437.50
9R86 and 9R96 Spring Drive Chronograph: Priced based on estimate from Japan (in most instances $1,000 or higher).

Q: What is approximate turnaround time on GS servicing?

A: 2-4 weeks if serviced in Mahwah, NJ. 6-8 weeks if serviced in Japan. Please keep in mind that some instances may vary.

Q: How frequently do Grand Seiko's need to be serviced?

A: Per the instruction manuals, Grand Seiko's are recommended to be inspected/serviced every 3 years for 9S mechanical, 3-4 years for 9R Spring Drive. This is recommended to check quality of parts and lubricants to ensure a long life of the movement. However, due to numerous factors, Grand Seiko's are created to run well for a longer duration without servicing. Some of these factors include the following...

9S Mechanical:
�MEMS manufactured components created are lighter weight, more durable, have smoother surfaces and distribute lubricants over a longer course of time (due to an intricate design that holds lubricant at the end of the tooth of the gear) than traditionally machined parts.
�Spron 610 hair spring and 510/530 mainspring are a special cobalt based alloy developed and manufactured in-house by Seiko. This composition allows for a remarkably resilient material capable of retaining its shape under very dramatic stress and distortion. Aside from its high elasticity it is also has high heat and corrosion resistance, great strength, and high shock and magnetic resistance. (Spron 510 mainspring also applicable to Spring Drive)

�Heat treatment to bridges and main plates induced to create a harder material on a hardness vickers scale that is up to 200+ points higher than most manufacturers. (also applicable to Spring Drive)

�Heat and/or plating treatments to gears to create a harder material (also applicable to Spring Drive)

�Polishing between teeth of gears/pinions to create a smoother surface (also applicable to Spring Drive)

9R Spring Drive:

�Spring Drive does not use a traditional lever escapement system, does not have the typical oscillating motion of the balance wheel, and does not have a hairspring, therefore does not have the collision of the escapement, sensitivity of a hairspring and is a completely uni-directional motion. The movement has a smoother operation of the gear train, meaning less wear. The lack of hairspring also means that it is far less sensitive to temperature and not effected by position at all. Also, the fact that the movement is regulated electro-magnetically with timing of the magnetic braking applied in coordination with the frequency of a quartz crystal, time keeping is very consistent over long periods of time.

9F Quartz

� The Super-Sealed cabin prevents air and other items (such as dust/moisture) from entering the most vital components in the movement. This includes the step motor, gear train and also very important, the lubricants. This preserves the lubricants in this movement from deteriorating as fast as they would when exposed to open air, theoretically creating a lifespan of about 50 years.

Q: I have read online that Seiko will only make parts for Grand Seiko for 10 years. Is that true?

A: There has been much confusion in regards to this statement. The Grand Seiko Manual, under the After-Sale Service, states the following:
"�SEIKO makes it a policy to typically keep a stock of replacement parts for Seiko (not Grand Seiko) up to 10 years. Replacement parts are those which are essential to maintaining the functional integrity of the watch.
�Please keep in mind that if original parts are not available, they may be replaced with substitutes whose outward appearance may differ from the original."

Please be advised, for Grand Seiko the spare parts supply period is up to 30 years.

This statement is in reference to keeping stock up to 10 years/30 years after a watch or movement has been discontinued. In some situations, parts can also be manufactured if necessary, but may not always be possible. Grand Seiko is is made with longevity in mind and it is important to know that the parts themselves should easily stand the test of time if taken care of properly. No manufacture can stock parts for all of their watches indefinitely, but some brands do offer the possibility of servicing or manufacturing parts for vintage pieces. This typically comes at a very high cost. Seiko is not currently offering this service.

Q: Can Zaratsu polishing be done in the USA?

A: No. To restore original Zaratsu finishing the watch is required to be sent to Japan. The reason for this is that it takes many years of experience to achieve this level of finishing and very few craftsman actually handle this process.

Q: How much does it cost to have Zaratsu finish restored on my Grand Seiko?

A: Zaratsu finishing estimates are provided below. Please keep in mind these prices are subject to change at any time. Also, please keep in mind that in some instances, prices can very depending on the watch. The watch would have to be inspected before providing a final quote.

Case Only: $388.75
Bracelet Only: $337.50
Case and Bracelet: $591.25

Q: What is Zaratsu polishing and what makes it special?

A: Zaratsu polishing is a form of finishing that requires tremendous skill and experience. This method is done by hand to bring the metal to a distortion-free mirror polish through tin wheel polishing. This method is not something you will commonly see at this price segment. Typically, in Europe, you will only see similar quality finishing on pieces that start at 3-4 times the price of Grand Seiko, typically more. This is commonly known in Europe as black polishing and is done more commonly on movement components, but occasionally found on cases. The craftsmen in Japan who execute this technique have so much experience they determine completion not only visually, but by feel and sound while polishing.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Re: Grand Seiko Service FAQ

Post by Chocodove » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Pretty reasonable prices IMO.
- Todd

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:07 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:36 pm
From Joe Kirk at the Seiko Boutique in Miami http://forums.watchuseek.com/f642/faq-r ... 03962.html :
FAQ regarding Grand Seiko Service
Good info, Terry. I actually stopped at the Miami Boutique yesterday to ask Joe about replacing a scratched crystal, and he was showing me this as he was getting ready to post on WUS.

FYI - I asked him about the bezel insert for the GS divers, and he said the insert is easily replaced (separate from the bezel) if you need to replace it (or bead blast it). He said it's not ceramic, but is a hardened steel insert. Parts cost is a couple hundred $$$, but you would need to send it into the Mahwah, NJ service center to have it replaced. There is currently one watchmaker in Mahwah dedicated to GS Service, so PM me if you need the contact info.
Last edited by TSD on Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:12 pm

very good, Terry, thanks

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:13 pm

Good to know, but the GS Spring Drive service interval makes me appreciate Rolex even more.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:21 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:13 pm
Good to know, but the GS Spring Drive service interval makes me appreciate Rolex even more.
I thought Rolex interval is 5 years? If that is over $600 to be serviced I would think a Spring Drive being serviced every 3-4 for $475 wouldn't be much difference.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:16 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
I thought Rolex interval is 5 years? If that is over $600 to be serviced I would think a Spring Drive being serviced every 3-4 for $475 wouldn't be much difference.
I believe it's now 10. The warranty is 5 years. I could be mistaken.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:22 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:16 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
I believe it's now 10. The warranty is 5 years. I could be mistaken.
Actually I did some reading and Rolex does not tell you when it needs to be serviced. It isn't something that Rolex has put into fine print from what I can find. :shrug: So I guess it is when it stops working. And this is something I definitely agree with.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:40 pm

The Rolex memo that mentioned the ten year service interval was referring to the average time that owners were sending them in, not the recommended interval. It simply stated that they were seeing watches after ten years on average.

At least that's how I read it.

- Todd