Differences between JDM and non-JDM new Turtles?

Discussion of Seiko watches
the_natural

Differences between JDM and non-JDM new Turtles?

Post by the_natural » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:20 am

As I waffle on whether or not to pick up an MM300, I realized last night that the SRP777 that I'm getting for Christmas is one that's cased outside of Japan (which I assume means China). So that made me wonder, have the JDM SRP models shown any signs of being better than their non-JDM counterparts?

Since the movement is the same in both, what I'm really wondering is if the JDM models have had the same chapter and/or bezel alignment issues that have been so prevalent with this series (the bezel on mine lines up, but not the 12-o'clock index). Maybe the JDM models have better build/fitment in general ... better bezel action maybe, etc?

At this point I think I only want JDM Seiko's, so maybe my mind is already made-up, but I also don't want to be rash. Do US Seiko boutiques only sell JDM models? (I looked at the SRP pics on their site and interestingly they say neither "Made in Japan" or "Mov't Japan", so is there some third variant or is this just marketing/photo editing trickery or pre-production pics, etc?)

Lastly, I assume that all SRP variants that come with the OEM rubber/silicone strap all use the same one regardless of bezel/dial color, where they're cased, etc?

the_natural

Re: Differences between JDM and non-JDM new Turtles?

Post by the_natural » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:28 am

Seppia wrote:None of the lower end Seiko models are made in Japan.
Keep in mind that a watch can be labeled as "made in Japan" if produced in a factory outside of Japan but supervised by Japanese management, or something like that.

I believe all entry level seikos are made in Malaysia if I'm not mistaken, both J and K models (J being those who have "made in Japan" stamped on the dial).

You are getting the same watch
I see. So not unlike "Swiss Made", if my basic understanding of the parameters of that label are accurate.

Edit: I guess this could also explain why neither Chino nor Seiya have SRP's -- it seems like they would if there were a 'true' JDM model.

the_natural

Post by the_natural » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:35 am

Well I should've searched a little harder, as I just found this fairly long thread on the same topic:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/differ ... 626-3.html

It seems you're right, Seppia. Thanks!

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:27 am

I have a grey-market SRP775 and a USDM SRP777. The USDM watch is marked "Mov't Japan" on the dial and case-back. The grey-market model is not marked with country of origin at all. Chances are they're cased in the same plant. I really couldn't care less if the plant is in Japan, Malaysia, mainland China, etc.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:39 am

^^^

+1. This sounds like my 91 year-old mother saying everything made in China is garbage.
only accurate watches are interesting

the_natural

Post by the_natural » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:25 am

marchone wrote:^^^

+1. This sounds like my 91 year-old mother saying everything made in China is garbage.
Minutia is a hallmark of horology.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:30 am

the_natural wrote:

So is excess fussiness.

the_natural

Post by the_natural » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:31 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
the_natural wrote:

So is excess fussiness.
:lol:

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:40 am

I don't care where it's "really" made I just like that it says Made in Japan on the dial of watch made by a Japanese company.
The only evidence I have regarding the turtles is that I've had both. 779J1 Made in Japan was finished/brushed a little better on the top surfaces of the case and the bezel lined up, 773K had misalligned bezel and the the top brushing on the case looked like was done with 200 grit sandpaper. In no way this is scientific, YMMV

Selym

Post by Selym » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:09 am

Panerai7 wrote:I don't care where it's "really" made I just like that it says Made in Japan on the dial of watch made by a Japanese company.
The only evidence I have regarding the turtles is that I've had both. 779J1 Made in Japan was finished/brushed a little better on the top surfaces of the case and the bezel lined up, 773K had misalligned bezel and the the top brushing on the case looked like was done with 200 grit sandpaper. In no way this is scientific, YMMV
I forgot to mention that on my USDM example, everything lines up perfectly. Also, the timekeeping is spot-on. The grey-market model loses a little time, and the dial ring and dial are ever-so-slightly misaligned. Probably purely coincidental.

the_natural

Post by the_natural » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:11 am

Panerai7 wrote:I don't care where it's "really" made I just like that it says Made in Japan on the dial of watch made by a Japanese company.
I agree. If I'd been paying attention initially I'd have gone with the pseudo-JDM one that says Made in Japan on the dial. As it is, I'll need to decide how much I really care, though I'll probably see how well it's running before I really decide.

I'm also acquainted enough with my fussiness to realize that the misaligned index is probably going to bother me, even if in reality I have very little money in the thing.

Selym

Post by Selym » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:27 am

the_natural wrote:
I agree. If I'd been paying attention initially I'd have gone with the pseudo-JDM one that says Made in Japan on the dial. As it is, I'll need to decide how much I really care, though I'll probably see how well it's running before I really decide.

I'm also acquainted enough with my fussiness to realize that the misaligned index is probably going to bother me, even if in reality I have very little money in the thing.
The one I bought from Kohl's has perfect alignment and excellent timekeeping. It has "Mov't Japan" on the dial, not "Made in Japan".

the_natural

Post by the_natural » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:45 am

Selym wrote:The one I bought from Kohl's has perfect alignment and excellent timekeeping. It has "Mov't Japan" on the dial, not "Made in Japan".
Really glad to hear yours is runing well!

My 777 also came from Kohl's, and the bezel lines-up fine, but the 12-o'clock index isn't aligned with the 'sword'. As is so often the case, I wonder if I'd have noticed it if I hadn't read about it...

Edit: Here's a pic of mine.