After a few days with the SARX033

Discussion of Seiko watches
Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:32 pm

First of all, the main reason for this purchase is in remembrance of my grandfather who died, but all I knew was that I wanted a white dialed Seiko dress watch as a tribute to the one he wore for as long as I could remember. There was lots of searching and back and forth. The SARB035 was the other one that stuck out until I was digging through my watch drawer and found my great grandfather's gold Seiko 4004 quartz, which was given to me when I was young and I wore for a number of years. This was even before high school. You could say this was the watch that ever burned into my memory Seiko as the brand to own. It felt very extravagant to wear this as a kid, even with the "classy" Speidel Twist-a-Flex band I wore it on back then. All my older relatives wore them. I have no idea where that band is anymore.

I knew I wanted a watch with this case profile. That narrowed down the search to only one watch. When it arrived it was obvious I made the right choice.

This watch feels very special. I love the dial. I was a bit on the fence to start with when I first noticed the dial finish as I was expecting more of a glossy white, but the mild sunburst plays so perfectly with the blued hands. It's actually similar to the dial finish style of the 4004.

In most lower lighting it still looks like a basic white dial and this is definitely when I enjoy it the most.

The hands are by far my favorite detail. They look almost black from most angles but are mesmerizing when the light plays off of them.

Originally I was a bit concerned about the size, but after wearing it I think it's perfect. It's on the larger side for a dress watch and it wears well casually for this reason. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Now onto the bracelet. This tends to be where Seiko is a bit of a letdown. The pictures looked great but I had my usual reservations here especially since I'm not much of a bracelet guy and I fully intended to wear this almost exclusively on a bracelet like my grandfather would have. While I haven't handled any Grand Seikos, I've heard the rave reviews of the quality and fit and finish of GS bracelets. I won't say this is as good as one since I haven't held a GS, but it seems apparent that they took a page out of the GS playbook here. The end links fit tight with absolutely no play, which I've never been able to say for any Seiko I've owned. The only affordables I've owned that I could say this for would be a Hamilton Field and Paul's Scurfa Diver One stainless.

These aren't your typical budget machined sections and polished links we've come to expect from Seiko. These are true 5 piece links, including the endlinks. The only ones that aren't are the half links and the sections permanently attached to the clasp. It would be nice if these pieces were true 5 links too, but that's literally my only small thing I can say bad if we're truly picking nits. This is the most overall satisfied I've ever been with a watch purchase. To add to this all, these bracelet pictures were taken today after hauling and carrying kids around all of yesterday, banging it on the latch accidentally of the rear door of my Jaguar getting a kid out of a car seat and my usual clumsiness. Not a mark anywhere. This Diashield treatment is truly phenomenal.

It might not be fair to say this is an objective review in a traditional since as my original reason for selecting this exact watch comes from a very personal point. I'm a watch flipper in the worst sense but I feel between the quality of this piece which I've never experienced in another Seiko tied with my personal attachment to the idea of a white dial Seiko to remember my grandfather by tied with many styling cues of my first real watch originally owned by my great grandfather that this is the most keeper watch I could ever own. Now trying to be as objective as possible? I'd have to say this is a perfect example of what Seiko is truly capable of at this price point and there's so many traditional Seiko qualities to love here. I've always felt when it came to sport and dive watches, Seiko has used a few odd cues that feel off from time to time, but they seem to be very careful to not do this with their dressier offerings and let the technology shine with their polishing, finishing, and coatings. I truly want to see the 41mm GS SD this is most similar to. I'm completely certain it's the best of the breed and is a true work of art. There may be a day where that one works out for me, but this one will always have a place on my wrist. Truly happy.

dukerules

Re: After a few days with the SARX033

Post by dukerules » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Very cool, Heath. The watch is really cool (and has a lot of GS in it, as you've stated), but the link to your grandfather makes it that much better :thumbsup:

MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:23 pm

I really like this. Great post

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:29 pm

I like this quite a bit and great story behind it. Congrats.
- Todd

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:04 am

I've been trying not to buy one of these, just because dressy watches last about a week with me, but this review isn't helping. I had read that this used the same bracelet as a Brightz chrono I had, which was a very nice bracelet, so I'm glad to hear that it is nice. May push me over the edge to give it a try. I'm glad it worked out for you.

I have a couple of those Twist-a-Flex bands. The one on my dad's old Seiko is branded Seiko, the one from his 50s Hamilton is branded Speidel, but was OEM.

Last edited by jswing on Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:28 am

fantastic and obviously special watch. very happy for you

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:17 am

jswing wrote:I've been trying not to buy one of these, just because dressy watches last about a week with me, but this review isn't helping. I had read that this used the same bracelet as a Brightz chrono I had, which was a very nice bracelet, so I'm glad to hear that it is nice. May push me over the edge to give it a try. I'm glad it worked out for you.

I have a couple of those Twist-a-Flex bands. The one on my dad's old Seiko is branded Seiko, the one from his 50s Hamilton is branded Speidel, but was OEM.

Yeah the 4004 had a Speidel on it when it was given to me. It was the worst hair puller I've ever seen. I think it was added later as it was only 16mm or 17mm and the built in expanders covered the spring bar but I think they did make 18mm Twist-a-Flex bands. My grandfather's white dial had the OEM Seiko one with proper fitted end links. I think they were actually branded as Seikoflex if I remember correctly.

I would add that this watch is working much more casually for me than the black dial SARB did. I think the larger case really is making the difference. It's not too large for dress purposes, but it is at the limit for my wrist for dress which is great for its casual wearability. I haven't been much of a dive watch guy lately though either and had been wearing field and considering a pilot. I'm starting to think this Seiko might be more my overall style and I'll always keep one or two divers around. They always have a place with me for outdoors and water use with kids and get occasional daily wear. I actually can't believe I went so long without owning a daily wear Seiko. I don't think I'll do that again.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:25 am

That looks great, Heath. The meaning behind this piece for you makes it better.

I would say the only thing I don't dig too much is the chapter ring but I understand it makes it a more casual piece which is good in a sense as well

Once again, sweet piece!
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:34 am

Congrats Heath!!! Great watch and even better story behind it :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Shannon
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:40 am

Torrid wrote:
jswing wrote:I've been trying not to buy one of these, just because dressy watches last about a week with me, but this review isn't helping. I had read that this used the same bracelet as a Brightz chrono I had, which was a very nice bracelet, so I'm glad to hear that it is nice. May push me over the edge to give it a try. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Yeah the 4004 had a Speidel on it when it was given to me. It was the worst hair puller I've ever seen. I think it was added later as it was only 16mm or 17mm and the built in expanders covered the spring bar but I think they did make 18mm Twist-a-Flex bands. My grandfather's white dial had the OEM Seiko one with proper fitted end links. I think they were actually branded as Seikoflex if I remember correctly.

I would add that this watch is working much more casually for me than the black dial SARB did. I think the larger case really is making the difference. It's not too large for dress purposes, but it is at the limit for my wrist for dress which is great for its casual wearability. I haven't been much of a dive watch guy lately though either and had been wearing field and considering a pilot. I'm starting to think this Seiko might be more my overall style and I'll always keep one or two divers around. They always have a place with me for outdoors and water use with kids and get occasional daily wear. I actually can't believe I went so long without owning a daily wear Seiko. I don't think I'll do that again.
Trying to convince myself it can be worn casually. I think I was close, and then I went to Seiya's site and it's about $50 higher than last time I almost bought it, just a couple days ago. That's not the direction I was hoping for.. It looks so good though. I'll eventually cave.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:22 am

Not my style, but I do love those blue hands
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:47 am

jswing wrote:
Torrid wrote:

Trying to convince myself it can be worn casually. I think I was close, and then I went to Seiya's site and it's about $50 higher than last time I almost bought it, just a couple days ago.
Same and noticed that as well with the price bump. Still the lowest price currently but not as sweet a deal, at least for me
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:28 pm

I'll have to post some comparison shots between the Scurfa and SARX soon to show how good the Diashield is. I've only worn the SARX on the bracelet and the Scurfa bracelet has only been worn a handful of times. The Scurfa has the usual marks you'd expect on stainless steel especially considering that I work with tools daily. The SARX? Still not a single mark anywhere. I didn't expect it to be that strong.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:42 pm

Feeling like I should have kept this one. After having the Ball Fireman and now another diver I think this one was still my perfect watch. I had sold it because it felt like too much of a daily reminder but now that so much time has passed I think it would have continued on the fond memories. I guess if I stepped up to the LE this time it would remove the SARX’s one last weak link, the 6R15. For the price though I’d likely try the chrono instead.