MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Discussion of Seiko watches
User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13971
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by dukerules » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:16 am

Nice.

User avatar
5661nicholas
Posts: 1451
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:16 am
Name: nick

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by 5661nicholas » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:01 pm

Congrats, great watch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 24279
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by BBK357 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:22 pm

The only advantage that I see of the 001 is that the case can be refinished, and me wanting to eventually brush or blast a case the 001 is the one for me.

Congrats!
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4151
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by sierra11b » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:05 am

BBK357 wrote:The only advantage that I see of the 001 is that the case can be refinished, and me wanting to eventually brush or blast a case the 001 is the one for me.

Congrats!
Diashield cannot be refinished? What about during factory service?

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15014
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:12 am

sierra11b wrote:
BBK357 wrote:The only advantage that I see of the 001 is that the case can be refinished, and me wanting to eventually brush or blast a case the 001 is the one for me.

Congrats!
Diashield cannot be refinished? What about during factory service?
Is it any different than any other DLC coating?

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4151
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by sierra11b » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:03 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
sierra11b wrote:
BBK357 wrote:The only advantage that I see of the 001 is that the case can be refinished, and me wanting to eventually brush or blast a case the 001 is the one for me.

Congrats!
Diashield cannot be refinished? What about during factory service?
Is it any different than any other DLC coating?
Not sure. I've read a lot of different answers online but it's difficult getting straight answer.

I was actually looking at this as a bonus. If I ever get an MM back I may opt for the 017 just because I don't like to polish my tool watches.

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 5522
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:04 pm

OG case finishing on the 017 is gorgeous as it is IMO.
- Todd

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41789
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:06 pm

Sorry the stock MM is pretty shiny, I don't have a problem with it getting scratched up at all.

User avatar
TSD
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:47 am
Name: Tom
Location: So Fla

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by TSD » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:36 pm

sierra11b wrote:Diashield cannot be refinished? What about during factory service?
For what it's worth, I sent a Ti Diashield Seiko in for unrelated service (via Seiya) and asked if they could refinish/polish the bezel, lugs, etc. to remove the scratches while it was there. Seiko Japan said it could not be refinished. Now, whether that is because they can't refinish Diashield-treated cases, or just didn't have an obligation to do so under warranty, is anyone's guess.

My personal opinion is that it probably makes the factory refinishing process a challenge. I tried to use a Cape Cod cloth to polish out minor scratches on the watch, and it was basically pointless. Diashield works well on Ti, but better on their SS, from my limited experience owning one of each.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41789
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:50 pm

TSD wrote:
sierra11b wrote:Diashield cannot be refinished? What about during factory service?
For what it's worth, I sent a Ti Diashield Seiko in for unrelated service (via Seiya) and asked if they could refinish/polish the bezel, lugs, etc. to remove the scratches while it was there. Seiko Japan said it could not be refinished. Now, whether that is because they can't refinish Diashield-treated cases, or just didn't have an obligation to do so under warranty, is anyone's guess.

My personal opinion is that it probably makes the factory refinishing process a challenge. I tried to use a Cape Cod cloth to polish out minor scratches on the watch, and it was basically pointless. Diashield works well on Ti, but better on their SS, from my limited experience owning one of each.
Tom have you tried all of these methods? http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Remove-S ... 103/g.html

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 4151
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Kalifornia

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by sierra11b » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:58 pm

TSD wrote:
sierra11b wrote:Diashield cannot be refinished? What about during factory service?
For what it's worth, I sent a Ti Diashield Seiko in for unrelated service (via Seiya) and asked if they could refinish/polish the bezel, lugs, etc. to remove the scratches while it was there. Seiko Japan said it could not be refinished. Now, whether that is because they can't refinish Diashield-treated cases, or just didn't have an obligation to do so under warranty, is anyone's guess.

My personal opinion is that it probably makes the factory refinishing process a challenge. I tried to use a Cape Cod cloth to polish out minor scratches on the watch, and it was basically pointless. Diashield works well on Ti, but better on their SS, from my limited experience owning one of each.
Thanks.

It certainly has a slightly matte appearance compared to regular SS.

User avatar
TSD
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:47 am
Name: Tom
Location: So Fla

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by TSD » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:23 pm

toxicavenger wrote:Tom have you tried all of these methods? http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Remove-S ... 103/g.html
Nope, just a Cape Cod and a lot of elbow grease. It is basically impossible to polish. Can't imagine "Eraser Method" would remove a scratch from Ti with Diashield, though it would have been worth trying.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41789
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:16 pm

TSD wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:Tom have you tried all of these methods? http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Remove-S ... 103/g.html
Nope, just a Cape Cod and a lot of elbow grease. It is basically impossible to polish. Can't imagine "Eraser Method" would remove a scratch from Ti with Diashield, though it would have been worth trying.
Maybe the fiberglass brush? :shrug:

User avatar
r.palace
Posts: 6553
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Tray-O-Five

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by r.palace » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:18 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
TSD wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:Tom have you tried all of these methods? http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Remove-S ... 103/g.html
Nope, just a Cape Cod and a lot of elbow grease. It is basically impossible to polish. Can't imagine "Eraser Method" would remove a scratch from Ti with Diashield, though it would have been worth trying.
Maybe the fiberglass brush? :shrug:
I've had mixed results with that. However, with Diashield YMMV - worth a shot
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

User avatar
DEMO
Posts: 4338
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:41 pm
Location: The Blue Planet

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by DEMO » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:11 am

The MM300 017 arrived this morning. HOLY CRAP....I love this watch!!!!!!

This watch is so perfect in so many ways in what I look for in a dive watch. Wow! I am completely happy, I don't know what took me so long to get one of these in my collection.

The DiaShield surface treatment must really work well because this watch was originally purchased in April this year, I am the third owner and the whole watch looks like new.

Just wow! What took me so long??? Love it. :love:
Image

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 5522
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by Chocodove » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:16 am

DEMO wrote:The MM300 017 arrived this morning. HOLY CRAP....I love this watch!!!!!!

This watch is so perfect in so many ways in what I look for in a dive watch. Wow! I am completely happy, I don't know what took me so long to get one of these in my collection.

The DiaShield surface treatment must really work well because this watch was originally purchased in April this year, I am the third owner and the whole watch looks like new.

Just wow! What took me so long??? Love it. :love:
That's exactly how I felt. Enjoy it!
- Todd

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41789
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:20 am

someone needs to do a 001 and 017 comparison

User avatar
r.palace
Posts: 6553
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Tray-O-Five

MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by r.palace » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:21 am

I'm gonna have to check one of these out. No boutique or Seiko store anywhere near here to see one in person. That's never stopped me ;)
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 31090
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:49 am

Congrats Dave. The MM300 is such a great watch...I need another.

User avatar
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Posts: 6845
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 am
Name: David
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:12 am

toxicavenger wrote:someone needs to do a 001 and 017 comparison
I've been wanting to see the same thing with pictures.

User avatar
BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Posts: 19201
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 pm
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by BSears » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:19 am

Dave if you don't have access to the 001 MM300, let me know and I'll send you mine for some glamour shots. Just note the bracelet on mine is scuffed pretty good and I've brushed the clasp once already. Lately I've been wearing mine on NATO or the rubber strap. ;)
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

Image

RIP Rocky (8/15/05-11/25/16)

User avatar
TSD
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:47 am
Name: Tom
Location: So Fla

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by TSD » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:37 pm

r.palace wrote:I'm gonna have to check one of these out. No boutique or Seiko store anywhere near here to see one in person. That's never stopped me ;)
You're in Miami/S. Florida? If so, we can connect and you can try mine. Glad to be an enabler.

User avatar
r.palace
Posts: 6553
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Tray-O-Five

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by r.palace » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:49 pm

TSD wrote:
r.palace wrote:I'm gonna have to check one of these out. No boutique or Seiko store anywhere near here to see one in person. That's never stopped me ;)
You're in Miami/S. Florida? If so, we can connect and you can try mine. Glad to be an enabler.
Yes sir, in Miami. That'd be great Tom; I'll shoot you a PM :cheers:
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13971
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by dukerules » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:27 pm

These are all very cool watches. I really don't know why I sold mine :banghead:

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41789
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: MM300 SBDX001 vs SBDX017

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:30 pm

dukerules wrote:These are all very cool watches. I really don't know why I sold mine :banghead:
summer was over :stir: :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests