Spring Drive Tuna SBDB009

Discussion of Seiko watches
jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Spring Drive Tuna SBDB009

Post by jswing » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:57 am

My Spring Drive Tuna arrived yesterday, and I thought it deserved a post. First off, this watch is amazing. When I opened up the box, I was blown away. This is one of those times I wish I was a better photographer, because I won't be able to give any justice with my pics. First thing I noticed was the finishing. It's sublime. Grand Seiko level I think. The brushed finish on the titanium shroud is unmatched by anything even remotely close to it's price range that I've seen. Then I tried the bezel and crown - two things that aren't always the smoothest on Seikos, but not so here. The bezel is likely the smoothest I've ever operated, yet the clicks are firm. The crown is usually something I dislike on Seikos, it's usually difficult to engage the crown to screw it down. Again, not so here. Engages and screws down perfectly. Then the spring drive... I can't begin to try to explain the technology, but it's the smoothest running movement I've ever felt. The second hand doesn't really sweep, it glides. There's no stutter. At all. It's mesmerizing.

I've always loved Tunas. I hated the new dial and hand setup for the longest time, but it's grown on me and on the Spring Drive I think it works. They certainly make for a legible dial. The stepped dial has a depth the older Tunas don't have. The size of the Tunas always kept me from trying one, but I got over that, and people were right, the lugless design makes it more wearable than the specs would suggest. Still, this is a big watch. It's essentially the same size as the Darth Tuna. In fact, it's a mm thicker at 16mm, but actually wears flatter due to the cutout in the shroud for the strap. I feel ok wearing it, but have this nagging feeling that maybe I'm pushing it a little too far. I don't feel that way with the Darth, but this feels a little different. The Darth is totally a tool watch, and wearing it feels like wearing a G Shock, and it doesn't matter that it's really big. The Spring Drive, on the other hand, is really a luxurious watch, and while it's just as capable as the Darth, I just wouldn't wear it the same way. So it feels a little stranger as such a big watch, if that makes sense. I'll see how that parts plays out.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Unlike the Darth, which is all a dark matte black, the Spring Drive is actually more gray

On the wrist

Couple shots with the Darth

And finally, my Seiko family shot

mm300
Banned
Name: Michael

Re: Spring Drive Tuna SBDB009

Post by mm300 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:21 am

Jeff, congrats on your new watch. I love your JDM SKX007 :-)

I think that your new Spring Drive complements the Darth very well. They are both iconic pieces, and your collection seems to be veering towards the iconic modern models. All you need are an SBDC027 and SBEX001 to complete your Seiko modern movement collection!

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:34 am

Nice Seiko's. I planned on getting this for a while, but the size scared me. I went for the GS diver instead and have been nothing but thrilled by it.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:37 am

That's a beauty Jeff and nice collection of Seikos... :clap: :clap:

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:40 am

Thanks for your first impressions. I'll be interested to hear your opinion of the SD's robustness installed in what is meant to be durable sports watch. Will you use it as intended?
only accurate watches are interesting

jswing

Post by jswing » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:47 am

mm300 wrote:Jeff, congrats on your new watch. I love your JDM SKX007 :-)

I think that your new Spring Drive complements the Darth very well. They are both iconic pieces, and your collection seems to be veering towards the iconic modern models. All you need are an SBDC027 and SBEX001 to complete your Seiko modern movement collection!
Thanks Michael!

jswing

Post by jswing » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:47 am

jimyritz wrote:That's a beauty Jeff and nice collection of Seikos... :clap: :clap:
Thanks Mike!

jswing

Post by jswing » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:49 am

streetracer101 wrote:Nice Seiko's. I planned on getting this for a while, but the size scared me. I went for the GS diver instead and have been nothing but thrilled by it.
Thanks Rob. I always thought this was gigantic but it's really not that bad. I actually thought the GS diver was bigger, but checking the specs I see it's not.

jswing

Post by jswing » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:52 am

marchone wrote:Thanks for your first impressions. I'll be interested to hear your opinion of the SD's robustness installed in what is meant to be durable sports watch. Will you use it as intended?
I want to say yes, but the fact is it feels too "nice" to wear as intended. My watches live an easy life anyway, so this will be worn like any other watch, but honestly for beach wear, snorkeling biking, kayaking etc I'd grab the Darth.

mm300
Banned
Name: Michael

Post by mm300 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:59 am

jswing wrote:
marchone wrote:Thanks for your first impressions. I'll be interested to hear your opinion of the SD's robustness installed in what is meant to be durable sports watch. Will you use it as intended?
I want to say yes, but the fact is it feels too "nice" to wear as intended. My watches live an easy life anyway, so this will be worn like any other watch, but honestly for beach wear, snorkeling biking, kayaking etc I'd grab the Darth.
If I were to ever actually DIVE, I would definitely go with quartz all the way.

To me, the automatics are good for a day-to-day pampered lifestyle, although it is extremely reassuring to know what they are capable of from an engineering perspective.

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:02 am

great looking group, Jeff! and that SD looks the business... I do like that dial/hands combo alot :thumbsup:

congrats :cheers:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

jswing

Post by jswing » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:07 am

gr8sw wrote:great looking group, Jeff! and that SD looks the business... I do like that dial/hands combo alot :thumbsup:

congrats :cheers:
Thanks Peter!

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:09 am

Love that. I always liked the Ti gold version too back before people started coming around on the style. I'm not a fan of some of the other Tuna changes, but the Spring Drive is one I've always admired. Congrats on the new pickup!

jswing

Post by jswing » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:22 am

mm300 wrote:
jswing wrote:
If I were to ever actually DIVE, I would definitely go with quartz all the way.

To me, the automatics are good for a day-to-day pampered lifestyle, although it is extremely reassuring to know what they are capable of from an engineering perspective.
I haven't actually dived for a long time, but do spend a fair amount of time in the water. I'd wear either the Darth or the 007 if there's any likelihood of getting banged up. Quartz is definitely better for sports, but for me it has more to do with the cost of the watch than the movement. I'm much more willing to subject a $200 watch to abuse than a $2000+ watch. I'm sure the spring drive would be fine for anything I do except kayaking, but I just wouldn't be happy banging it up.

jswing

Post by jswing » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:24 am

Torrid wrote:Love that. I always liked the Ti gold version too back before people started coming around on the style. I'm not a fan of some of the other Tuna changes, but the Spring Drive is one I've always admired. Congrats on the new pickup!
Thanks Heath!

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:23 am

jswing wrote:I haven't actually dived for a long time, but do spend a fair amount of time in the water. I'd wear either the Darth or the 007 if there's any likelihood of getting banged up. Quartz is definitely better for sports, but for me it has more to do with the cost of the watch than the movement. I'm much more willing to subject a $200 watch to abuse than a $2000+ watch. I'm sure the spring drive would be fine for anything I do except kayaking, but I just wouldn't be happy banging it up.
Completely understood as to value regarding expensive pieces vs intended beaters but it's all relative. I knew of an heir to the Marshall Field fortune who was an avid upland shotgunner. He only owned London Bests, both new and vintage. A friend of mine once guided for him. He told a story of the guy tossing him a $100K Purdey from ten feet away. Over rocks and bushes. My friend was terrified he'd drop the gun and told him so. Field III responded by saying so what, that's what gunsmiths were for.

DaveT
Name: Dave

Post by DaveT » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:46 am

Nice write up Jeff and congrats on the new Tuna!

The new one looks really impressive and I can't wait to check it out in person
Dave

"Long you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be"

jswing

Post by jswing » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:00 am

marchone wrote:
jswing wrote:I haven't actually dived for a long time, but do spend a fair amount of time in the water. I'd wear either the Darth or the 007 if there's any likelihood of getting banged up. Quartz is definitely better for sports, but for me it has more to do with the cost of the watch than the movement. I'm much more willing to subject a $200 watch to abuse than a $2000+ watch. I'm sure the spring drive would be fine for anything I do except kayaking, but I just wouldn't be happy banging it up.
Completely understood as to value regarding expensive pieces vs intended beaters but it's all relative. I knew of an heir to the Marshall Field fortune who was an avid upland shotgunner. He only owned London Bests, both new and vintage. A friend of mine once guided for him. He told a story of the guy tossing him a $100K Purdey from ten feet away. Over rocks and bushes. My friend was terrified he'd drop the gun and told him so. Field III responded by saying so what, that's what gunsmiths were for.
Sadly I'm not an heir to anyone's fortune. But you're absolutely right, it's all relative. Even as I was typing that response I was thinking that my most expensive watches could easily be beaters for many. I remember a similar story of Russell Crowe wearing his $100k PAM21 working on his ranch. In a way I admire just using one's tools, but it also makes me cringe.
Last edited by jswing on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

jswing

Post by jswing » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:03 am

DaveT wrote:Nice write up Jeff and congrats on the new Tuna!

The new one looks really impressive and I can't wait to check it out in person
Thanks Dave! Look forward to showing it to you.

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:22 am

Enjoy it Jeff. It's beautiful.

Nomadz
Name: Nick

Post by Nomadz » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:12 am

Jeff congratulations. Great write up. Love the collection.
I am tempted by the SD. i'm wearing the Darth 24/7. I like your point about
the Darth being like a G-Shock. I am wearing mine for work the gym, running, swimming.
It never comes off. I cannot do that with my Automatics as i'm afraid they will not run as well or worse.
I might be wrong but the durability of the high torque quartz just lends itself to a full time watch.
Boy i have been looking at the spring drive tuna quite a bit on the dreaded watch recon
over the last few weeks. You are not helping!!!! Laughs.
" The sunshine bores the daylights outta me......"

jswing

Post by jswing » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:38 am

Nomadz wrote:Jeff congratulations. Great write up. Love the collection.
I am tempted by the SD. i'm wearing the Darth 24/7. I like your point about
the Darth being like a G-Shock. I am wearing mine for work the gym, running, swimming.
It never comes off. I cannot do that with my Automatics as i'm afraid they will not run as well or worse.
I might be wrong but the durability of the high torque quartz just lends itself to a full time watch.
Boy i have been looking at the spring drive tuna quite a bit on the dreaded watch recon
over the last few weeks. You are not helping!!!! Laughs.
Thanks Nick. The Darth is a great watch and can truly be worn for anything without worry. I put mine on every morning to start my day and never have to worry that it's running and set. Honestly I was worried the SD would be redundant, but they're more different than similar. Definitely room for both IMO but sorry for making it worse for you.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:42 pm

I :love: Seiko and that is one solid stable. Congrats!

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Jeff - what size is your wrist? It looks like a pretty good fit.

jswing

Post by jswing » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:20 pm

streetracer101 wrote:Jeff - what size is your wrist? It looks like a pretty good fit.
7". I have plenty of clearance on my wrist due to the lugless design, although visually it's still pretty big. But it's very, very comfortable and being ti is light as well. I have found all the tunas to be comfortable, but this one really hugs the wrist.