Seiko Baselworld

Discussion of Seiko watches
blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Re: Seiko Baselworld

Post by blkgsl » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:09 pm

matt.wu wrote:Different strokes for different folks.
Amen :).

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:27 pm

matt.wu wrote: The brand has nothing to do with it, as I love Seiko as a brand. I just think they do such a good job on their less expensive pieces (i.e. Shogun, Tuna, Sumo, MM300) that they have a hard time making a watch that is even twice as nice, let alone the 5-7x the MSRP would suggest.

:)
I'm a bit of a Seiko apologist, but Matt, I think you are on to something here. I've owned the MM300 and various Tuna's, and after one week with the 015 Tuna, I'm blown away at the attention to detail on it' as it compares favorably to the MM300.

That being said, I can appreciate a HEQ diver like the one allegedly being introduced, as as it is a nice convergence of Seiko's rich history with divers crossed with being the company that brought Quartz to the market. Fills a nice niche in their lineup. Oddly a high end quartz diver from Rolex seems wrong, while one from Seiko seems true to heritage.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:37 pm

Eric, if you have a WUS account I encourage viewing of these photos. Sorry for the cross link Matt...http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/grand- ... 94728.html

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:41 pm

I'd buy a Tuna 015 or a Shogun, but nothing more expensive than that.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:44 pm

ericf4 wrote:Orange monster which was the hype at one point. Nothing special...lame pins connecting links, decent bracelet, finishing nothing special, lume great...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon

Horrible watch to base your opinion off of.

Maybe you're right. Maybe they should start using pedestrian ETA movements, stick on a large crown guard and that can justify a $5000 price tag.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:49 pm

BBK357 wrote:
ericf4 wrote:Orange monster which was the hype at one point. Nothing special...lame pins connecting links, decent bracelet, finishing nothing special, lume great...

Maybe you're right. Maybe they should start using pedestrian ETA movements, stick on a large crown guard and that can justify a $5000 price tag.

Or make a gilt dial skx007 with a red aluminum bezel with a standard 2824 and charge $4k. :stir:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:57 pm

dnslater wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

Or make a gilt dial skx007 with a red aluminum bezel with a standard 2824 and charge $4k. :stir:
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:01 pm

I guess I kinda agree. I've owned the Shogun a few times (likely another coming) and I owned the Grand Seiko SBGA029. While the GS diver was a truly fantastic piece, the Shogun can satisfy my Seiko itch pretty well. Keep in mind a had the Planet Ocean and GS at the same time, so the "dressy diver" category was handled fine by the PO.

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:05 pm

I don't get Eric.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:06 pm

I've never owned a GS, don't know if I ever will. I can say the few Seikos I've owned that were over $1000 were totally worth it.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:12 pm

dnslater wrote:Eric, if you have a WUS account I encourage viewing of these photos. Sorry for the cross link Matt...http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/grand- ... 94728.html
Looks nice but the close ups don't really show what the watch looks like....
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:14 pm

BBK357 wrote:

Dude don't be a bitch and be all butt hurt because I personally don't see the value in them..... lashing out at another brand doesn't make me change my mind.... not sure what to tell ya..

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:21 pm

I liked the 015 Tuna and should of kept it. The fit and finish was immaculate. I am a big fan of their 6R15 movement watches too. The Sumo is great , I'm tempted by the Shogun and certainly considering the Marinemaster in the future. The SARB033 really surprised me for a "boring" looking watch. Sapphire crystal, display back, solid end links, true multi-piece links, and a folding clasp assembly that isn't pressed. Not to mention the hands actually reaches the edge of the dial and is available new under $400. As much as I always grab for a dive watch when I actually put this one on it stays on for a few days.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:46 pm

ericf4 wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

Dude don't be a bitch and be all butt hurt because I personally don't see the value in them..... lashing out at another brand doesn't make me change my mind.... not sure what to tell ya..

-not butt hurt
-I am a bitch sometimes
-not lashing out, just comparing how people see value in some brands and not others
-to base your seiko opinion on a monster with the worn out phrase "no seiko is worth more than a couple hundred $" is quite stupid. And I've never owned a monster
-if I wanted to hurt your feelings I would have said something about putting propellers on the caseback and charging $12000 for a limited but I didn't. I like bremont but I could say how I don't think its worth the money. But that would be dumb. I'd only do that in the bremont sub forum.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:50 pm

BBK357 wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

-not butt hurt
-I am a bitch sometimes
-not lashing out, just comparing how people see value in some brands and not others
-to base your seiko opinion on a monster with the worn out phrase "no seiko is worth more than a couple hundred $" is quite stupid. And I've never owned a monster
-if I wanted to hurt your feelings I would have said something about putting propellers on the caseback and charging $12000 for a limited but I didn't. I like bremont but I could say how I don't think its worth the money. But that would be dumb. I'd only do that in the bremont sub forum.

Obviously butt hurt.

Be like the Kobold owners, get used to it, and :htfu:.

:fro:
:htfu:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:59 pm

matt.wu wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

-not butt hurt
-I am a bitch sometimes

Obviously butt hurt.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:09 pm

I would love a Grand Seiko. Wearing this SARB that has a lot of similar styling cues to their dressier line makes it worse.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Torrid wrote:I would love a Grand Seiko. Wearing this SARB that has a lot of similar styling cues to their dressier line makes it worse.
That SARB is hot. If not for the fact that it's 37mm that might have scratched my Aqua Terra itch.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:31 pm

matt.wu wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

-not butt hurt
-I am a bitch sometimes

Obviously butt hurt.

:headbang: :roll: :monkeypiss:

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:39 pm

matt.wu wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

-not butt hurt
-I am a bitch sometimes

Obviously butt hurt.

Clearly lube is necessary, even if a micropenis is used..... :shrug: :gayumbrella:

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:50 pm

Micropenis is the new black....

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:53 pm

ericf4 wrote:Micropenis is the new black....
I'm thinking if it were black, it wouldn't be a micro....:lol: !!!

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:02 pm

ericf4 wrote:Micropenis is the new black....
Owned a Micropenis once. Didn't see what the fuss was about....

Wait what? :scratch:

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 pm

This thread needs pics.

Matt makes a great point that the lower and mid-priced Seikos deliver so much value it makes it harder to consider Grand Seikos.

But GS finishing is second to none. Aesthetics are personal. Too much script on the dials? Check. GS H-Beat won it's class in 2012 European Watch of the Year over JLC and Christiaan van der Klauwe. So at GS price points (considerly lower in many cases) how are FFs, NSAs, ALTI-Bs, etc., worth what they are?

To my limited experience I could not tell a difference in finishing in case or dial when I had a GS Diver and FF in hand at once. Many dislike the PR indicator and 4-line script as do I but I can live with it.

You either like the brand or you don't. Doesn't have to be rational in the face of the facts.

Here's my Shogun on Sinn rubber. To support the lower priced argument. :salute:

Last edited by marchone on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
only accurate watches are interesting

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:24 pm

logan2z wrote:
Torrid wrote:I would love a Grand Seiko. Wearing this SARB that has a lot of similar styling cues to their dressier line makes it worse.
That SARB is hot. If not for the fact that it's 37mm that might have scratched my Aqua Terra itch.
It's not. It's 38.5, but it is small for some.