Here a interesting Seiko

Discussion of Seiko watches
River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Here a interesting Seiko

Post by River Rat » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:25 pm

I collect a lot of Military issued stuff. One thing I collect are ships clocks most are US Navy made by Chelsea and Seth Thomas from WW2 to around the time I was in the Navy. I have all ways thought about adding a German or Japanese WW2 ships clock the German ones go for BIG BUCKS because most people think they mite of come out of a U-Boat. The German and Japanese are more expensive than the American ones due to there are less of them maybe due to we sunk more of there's than they did to ours? Well there was a German and a Japanese ships clock for sell on ebay the German one sold for double the price of the Japanese one. I made a offer for the Japanese one and I got it. Here is the sellers photo of it. It is made by Seikosha that later turned into Seiko so I must have the earliest Seiko in the forum from the 1940's
The Kanji character indicate:
1-Week Movement Type 1 Model 2
They were made from 1939-1945 looks to be in great shape will post some photo's when I get it. The funny thing is when you open the cover there is made by seikosha Tokyo Japan in English during the war it cant be seen in the photo I posted I thought why would they do this in war ?

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Re: Here a interesting Seiko

Post by marchone » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:48 pm

Nice piece. What size is it?
only accurate watches are interesting

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:49 pm

Nice pickup, Mike.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:51 pm

marchone wrote:Nice piece. What size is it?
From the sellers photo's and some stuff I found on the net about the same size as the American ones about 6-7 inch diameter.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:57 pm

I guess when I get it I will have to make a wooden plaque to mount the clock to so I can hang it on the wall.

AntonioPD
Name: Tony

Post by AntonioPD » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:12 pm

Very cool sir! Congrats!
Resistance is the indicator of progress.
- Clint Bruce USN (Retired)

Omega PO 8500 45.5, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard A-05, Karlskrona Midnattssol Blue Date, Seiko Save the Ocean Turtle, G-Shock Solar Atomic and GA-100, Movado ESQ

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:36 am

Here is a link to the MWR forum that shows the movement of a early one made in the war check out the fusee movement. On another forum the German military watch forum wear you have to log on to see it they had one made later in the war that had a different movement that probably will be what's in mine.
http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthre ... osha+clock

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:41 am

Mike,

Do you see many of the standard USN clocks from the 1970s? I'm thinking of the black (plastic/Bakelite?) ones like we had on the boat. It's probably actually 1960s, that's when my boat was built. I wouldn't mind having one as a desk clock.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Name: Glæn

Post by ElChingon7 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:19 am

:clap: :clap: :fro:
WTF

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Henryj wrote:Mike,

Do you see many of the standard USN clocks from the 1970s? I'm thinking of the black (plastic/Bakelite?) ones like we had on the boat. It's probably actually 1960s, that's when my boat was built. I wouldn't mind having one as a desk clock.
Hey Henry
You can some time find them at antique store and I even found one at a coin shop. But if there's a NAWCC regional in your state some state's have 1-2 a year and the last day they let none members in is were you mite get the best price. There is a seller I know if I can find his card I will pm it to you and you can ether email him or call him he is in the San Jose area but he services the stuff he sells so you will get some thing that has no problems. And then there's fleabay you can send me the ebay ad to see if it's worth it or what you should pay. Ask me for any help on your search. I mount the clock on a wood plaque and put picture hanging wire on the back of the plaque to hang it. Here are ebay past sell on some Chelsea us naval clocks to give you a idea on price.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=che ... Complete=1

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:33 pm

nice grab, Mike :thumbsup: strap or mesh bracelet? :lol:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:57 pm

gr8sw wrote:nice grab, Mike :thumbsup: strap or mesh bracelet? :lol:
Well it will be cool to hang it next to a WW2 US Navy clock side by side thought that would be kind of cool. And maybe one of this days dig deep these cost a lot of money and get a German U-Boat clock and then a English deck clock and I wonder if I can find a Italian Navy WW2 deck clock that I have never seen those have to be rare. One from each Navy that was at war in WW2 that would be cool.

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm

Cool Mike-I took the clock out of the Capt's cabin on my fist ship when we decommed.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:54 pm

That's really cool, Mike. Looking forward to your shots.

countach
Name: Chris

Post by countach » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:16 am

Good question, but also, how come Japanese cars in Japan have Latin /English character names on them? Japan only seiko models today have seiko in English, not Japanese characters. Occasionally wondered about such things.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:11 am

countach wrote:Good question, but also, how come Japanese cars in Japan have Latin /English character names on them? Japan only seiko models today have seiko in English, not Japanese characters. Occasionally wondered about such things.
I think it's because English is the language most of Japan's trade partners and Japan school systems if I recall correctly require English to be taught. I do find it odd they use English on vehicle radios especially. I think the German approach of using symbols makes much more sense in vehicles since they can be universal in any language.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Well received clock today.
Button on the side opens the clock bezel to wind it and turn the hands for the time.
This clock surprised me at how well built it is. And how quiet it is. The 1 week running clocks are better made than the 1 day that the Japanese also made during the war. You can see were a sloppy deck ape got more paint on the clock than the bulkhead dam I was once a deck ape hope I painted the ship better than that Japanese sailor :raised: So far I am happy I added this to my collection they are getting harder to find and the German U Boat clock are even harder and more expensive and won't be long before the WW2 Japanese ships clocks get that expensive to. It does have some cool looking hands. And another surprise the case is brass I read they did some cheap aluminum cases on most of there clocks maybe this was more expensive made one maybe for the officers area of the ship?

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:46 am

Here is a shot of a Seth Thomas issued around 1943 side by side with the Seikosha there some things that are alike and some that are different there about the same size.

Guzza
Name: Gary

Post by Guzza » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:10 am

Interesting that they used Roman numerals on the dial too.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:12 am

Just got it back from service who knows when it was service last. Some time in it's life some one replaced the glass it originally had beveled glass so I had it replaced with the right type of glass it had originally.

Got a it next to a US Navy Boat Clock cir 1941

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:19 am

Came close to buying a all most mint German U-Boat clock from WW2 really gave it some thought but I got a Navy reunion in Hawaii coming up and all most time to fill the house propane tank . I really would like to have a ships clock from every Navy of WW2 and the German U-Boat clocks are the most expensive and more sought after,