Pipins- diving icons

Discussion of Seiko watches
sharkfin
Name: Dave

Pipins- diving icons

Post by sharkfin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:46 am

I don't think I've posted this old post I did a while back before I joined here.
So here it is since I posted that documentary on Audrey Mestre.
Note: These watches have since left the collection. :(

Let me introduce you to Mr & Mrs Pipin. :) Thats Francisco "Pipin" Ferreras & Audrey Mestre, free diving champs.
Hi guys, had these for a while after a long hard chase to track down these beauties.
What we've got here is a his & hers set.The Pipin family Limited edition divers.

This couple was the free diving record holders back in the day. Reigning in both mens/womens competition dives.
First we have the 1997 Francisco Pipin Ferreras,200 meter, kinetic,Limited edition of 1000 pieces.
This one commemorates the record breaking free diving achievement of Pipin himself.
What can I say, the dial is stunning. Its a rendition of the map of cayman islands/cuba/florida.
This Ti monocoque case GMT kinetic is sized/shaped similar to the MM300.About 43mm.
This originally came with 5M45 mov't w/7day power reserve, but I had Seiko upgrade to 6 month capacitor. ;)

Next we have the Jewelfish Solar Ti diver Limited edition 1000 pieces and named Audrey.100m, 40mm case, resin bezel.
This was Francisco's wife Audrey and she too was an accomplished free diver breaking records as well as how they met and married.
This was the free diving champion couple at the time, and Seiko took this opportunity to commemorate their achievements
and have them as ambassadors to Seiko.

Sadly upon some more reading, Audrey Mestre had tragically died on her last attempt of a world record breaking dive that would've shattered both mens & womens record.
A year or two later, her husband, Pipin would succeed and achieve that record dive.

Both these divers are unique and have many cool details to say the least.
The scubamaster was my first kinetic,titanium case,GMT watch. Lots of firsts with this one.
The Jewelfish, my first solar seiko and cool resin dome bezel.

Please enjoy the show. ;)
Dave.

Here's link to the documentary about Audrey Mestre.
No Limits:
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/70997378[/vimeo]

rvl69
Name: Ritchie

Re: Pipins- diving icons

Post by rvl69 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:15 pm

was this watch ever for sale?