Philanthropic endeavor?

Discussion of Seiko watches
rammerjammer
Name: Patrick

Philanthropic endeavor?

Post by rammerjammer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:05 pm

I've got a WIS friend who's life was drastically changed for the worse almost 20 years ago. He was shot through the neck in 1993 and is now a quadriplegic. He's got some use of his arms thank god as I believe his paralysis is chest down. I simply can't imagine the struggles he must go through everyday. Still, he's always positive. Always upbeat. Really is just a great guy.
He's got some nice watches for sure. His favorite being a Bremont Diver. But he's on a fixed income and doesn't have the luxury a lot of us do to flip watches, etc. And we all know how much fun that can be. I have been telling him for a while now about Noah and XW and now Jake and Dagaz. He's become a big fan and loves the Tsunami in particular. Every time we speak he thanks me for turning him onto Dagaz. When Jake announced he was gonna make one last limited run of Tsunamis I contacted him and asked if he would hold one aside for my friend should he want one. Of course Jake was touched by his story and agreed without hesitation. Alas my friend can't afford one. He would never say so but I know it's tearing him up not to be able to grab one of the last new Tsunamis.
So I thought I might try and organize some sort of charity drive to raise the $600 or so it costs for a new T. Not asking for your donations really but instead some advice. I've never started a charity only donated and don't know where to begin. Anybody who would care to share their experience or to point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Merry Christmas, -Patrick
NUKE THE WHALES

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: Philanthropic endeavor?

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Maybe I am cold hearted, but I have a little trouble thinking that a person who owns a $4000 watch needs charity to buy a $600 watch. I think most will find better ways to give to charity. Perhaps you could help him sell one or two of his less favored pieces to pay for the Tsunami.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

rammerjammer

Post by rammerjammer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:18 pm

He's got two watches. Bremont and a Lum Tec. I know it sounds crazy that someone with $4K watch needs charity but he does. This is exactly why I posted this though. It's an excellent point. Hell, I want a Bremont! Knowing the man like I do I guess I've got more of grasp on his complex situation. Still hard to give money to someone with a nicer watch than me.
NUKE THE WHALES

rammerjammer

Post by rammerjammer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:20 pm

It does sound insane when I say it out loud. But I wanted to be honest and give full disclosure. Again, I'm not asking for any money here. Just need a sounding board. And right now I'm sounding like a dumbass.
NUKE THE WHALES

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:44 pm

No, not a dumbass, just trying to help out a friend. We don't know the details, or how he even got the Bremont.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

rammerjammer

Post by rammerjammer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:52 pm

True enough. Hell, I had a Rolex when I didn't have a pot to piss in.
NUKE THE WHALES

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Sorry.
I feel bad for your friend, and the fact of what he has to deal with daily, but a charity fund to buy a watch for him doesn't fly with me.
He has two watches as you said, the Bremont and a Lumtec.
One an awesome watch and one a great watch.
If it were something serious, like he needed surgery, getting kicked out of his house etc, got a watch stolen, scammed, I would view it different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rammerjammer

Post by rammerjammer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:19 pm

Another excellent point. Do want to add that he would never seek charity. This is me do a feasibility study of sorts. Thank you all for sharing your opinions btw.
NUKE THE WHALES

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:19 pm

DWC is a great forum to belong to and has a caring membership.

Hopefully, you will be here a long time and enjoy participating.

However, I have to point out that I take issue with approaching the membership for this
when you have only been here barely a week.

In my opinion, it is too early such a request.

I am only speaking for myself and have no problem with anyone who chooses to disagree with me.

rammerjammer

Post by rammerjammer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Please understand that I'm not asking any of you for money for any reason. You can agree or disagree with me about the charity idea but please be clear this is nothing more than me sounding out an idea with a group of like minded individuals. If I did attempt to raise money I would do so locally and not involve any of you. I realize that I'm new and I want to be clear that I'm not asking for money. Just trying to figure out if this is a good idea or not.
NUKE THE WHALES

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:27 pm

If you are just looking for suggestions-
Bake sale
Car wash
Bikini car wash

I think thats about it.

If you would have started in early November you could have done a pumpkin roll sale. My friend who does this for charity makes quite a bit.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:29 pm

You've been on the board six days, power posted into the sales forum, and now soliciting donations for your buddy. No thanks, sounds like an e-mail I got yesterday from the Vice Roy of Nambia, he needs help cashing a Cashiers Check here in the States; say's I can have half.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:36 pm

^^^

Is anyone reading his whole post?
The man is looking for ideas not money.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

rammerjammer

Post by rammerjammer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Every time I go to the grocery store there is a baseball team or cheerleading squad looking for donations. These are high school teams mind you. There was a private high school baseball team in the store the other day. Everyone of those kids comes from an affluent family too. They don't need any money. I gave a few bucks anyway because they were staring at me like I had lobsters coming out of my ears while I checked out. That experience is what made me think of raising money for my friend. I'm not saying it's a good idea. And I'm not saying its well conceived. Personally I would rather give a few bucks to a quadriplegic cop who can't afford something he wanted than to a group of able bodied rich kids who don't need any charity in the first place. And I'm not looking for money from any of you! I will never ask any one of you for anything. Ever. Just want to figure out if this is an idea worth pursuing. Period.
NUKE THE WHALES

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:43 pm

I think in your heart you know it is a bad idea. Comparing it to a kids sports team is silliness. He deserves your symapthy but does not need any charity. He could sell the Bremont and buy five Tsunamis if he wanted it so badly.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

rammerjammer

Post by rammerjammer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:43 pm

Oh for fucks sake... I don't want your money! I'm not power posting anything either. Here's what I'm gonna do: I'm going to buy my friend the watch myself and leave this forum to you fine gentlemen. Merry Christmas.
NUKE THE WHALES

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:50 pm

No one is suggesting you leave but if our skin is that thin...well.

rammerjammer

Post by rammerjammer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:59 pm

My skin is plenty thick. Since I've joined DWC I've been called a "rimjob," accused of "power posting" to get to the sales forum and now chided for soliciting money when I am, in fact, NOT soliciting any money at all. Was attempting to solicit opinions. Period. Now I'm frustrated and annoyed because in actual fact, I'm not here to sell watches or raise money or be called lewd names for no good reason.
NUKE THE WHALES

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:09 pm

I thought you left? Ranger Bill?
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:14 pm

rammerjammer wrote:My skin is plenty thick. Since I've joined DWC I've been called a "rimjob," accused of "power posting" to get to the sales forum and now chided for soliciting money when I am, in fact, NOT soliciting any money at all. Was attempting to solicit opinions. Period. Now I'm frustrated and annoyed because in actual fact, I'm not here to sell watches or raise money or be called lewd names for no good reason.
And if you look at the people, they are life long members. Best to take it with a grain of salt as no one is trying to boot you from here. On a side note, I agree with Chris. See if he has anything he could part with to help fund it. Hell, if he has an old PC that he can sell, it could be worth the effort.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:24 pm

No one is saying you should leave.
And you shouldn't.
Good group of guys here.
They can be harsh at times, but hey, we're men...we can take it.

Back to original question.
I understand you weren't asking for money, but opinions, which I already gave.

I know you want to help your friend, and that's a good thing. But even if you did it locally , you have to be upfront about what your raising the money for(other wise it's like a scam) and I just don't think non WIS will want up give money for a guy to get a watch.
My opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Sorry about your friend.

Not so sorry about you.
:htfu:

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:48 pm

If you want my opinion, I would say save $50 a paycheck for the next 3 months and you'll be able to give your buddy a gift, instead of mooching off other people. You could do this in any number of ways like not eating out a couple times a month, skipping starbucks every once in a while, cutting back on your cable television package, not buying a new watch(es) for yourself for a while, or any other number of ways.
PS- I've been a member here a while and I have never been called a rimjob, power poster or solicitor. Maybe it is time to take a look at the past week and ask yourself what led to this meltdown.

rammerjammer

Post by rammerjammer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:12 pm

matt.wu wrote:Sorry about your friend.

Not so sorry about you.
Please allow me to say a few words before I go. I've been nothing but open and honest since I joined this forum a few short days ago. Some of you chose to read what you want to I suppose. That's your prerogative. If you chose to paint me as an interloper or disruptor there's nothing I can do about it. And I understand you all want to protect the forum "family" from harmful outsiders. As well you should. But if you'd take the time to read what I wrote then you'd see that I was only asking for advice not money. How that lead to this I don't really know. It's obvious from the above post that I'm not being understood here. Please consider the following advice: before you run the next guy off perhaps you should give him a chance. Might not be a bad guy after all.
NUKE THE WHALES

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:26 pm

I say delete the thread altogether and lets forget it. It's Christmas after all :)

Sent using Tapatalk