Tudor Submariner Snowflake 1973

A place to discuss vintage watches.
Tudorlover
Name: Soren

Post by Tudorlover » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:47 am

My 1973 Tudor Submariner Snowflake needs repair. It is not running and the official Rolex repairshops tell me that the parts are discontinued. The watch is currently in Los Angeles so if anybody have information about a good place to get it repaired I would greatly appreciate it;). Cheers

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Re: Tudor Submariner Snowflake 1973

Post by BBK357 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:11 am

The guy who serviced all of mine yesterday ago retired. Even when Rolex was an option I went with a Rolex certified watchmaker who has been around long enough to have some
Spare parts if needed. Rolex had a reputation for replacing parts that the owner may not want changed… dial, hands, bezel etc.

I’m sure someone on here has some recommendations.

Good luck.

Let’s see a pic of it !
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:13 am

Try LAWatchWorks in Pasadena, or ABC Watchwerks

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:21 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:13 am
I have used both back in the day and can confirm Hoppy's suggestion

also, would love to see, please post if/when you can :thumbsup:

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:55 am

True Patina Greg Petronzi. Not cheap, but real great work.

Tudorlover

Post by Tudorlover » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:39 pm

Thank you for suggestions, LA Watchworks it is then;)
I wanted to upload a couple of pictures but I am having trouble finding out how;)

Tudorlover

Post by Tudorlover » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:41 pm

Thank you for suggestions, LA Watchworks it is then;)
As requested a few images of the watch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tudorlover

Post by Tudorlover » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:28 pm

And it is actually from 1971;)

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:36 pm

Where did you find that Diamond in the rough?
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Tudorlover

Post by Tudorlover » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:47 pm

Canada in 2009;) Private sale

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:49 pm

I once had SF Rolex service center service mine many years ago think there independent now and might not be in business now most expensive service, I ever paid for like 500 buck's that was over 10 years ago mines about the same year as yours. Hopefully LA watchworks does a great job. A photo of mine still have it.

Tudorlover

Post by Tudorlover » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:19 pm

River Rat that is beautiful! I used mine as my daily watch for 5 years, dropped it on a tile floor and it stopped working. Rolex Denmark (Klarlund) were unable to restore as Rolex had discontinued parts. After that it has been sitting in the box. I have the original box, chain, booklet and warranty. Looking forward to hearing back from LLWW. I have requested case and movement restoration but any suggestions on what I should get done (or not;) is welcome.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:55 pm

Tudorlover wrote:River Rat that is beautiful! I used mine as my daily watch for 5 years, dropped it on a tile floor and it stopped working. Rolex Denmark (Klarlund) were unable to restore as Rolex had discontinued parts. After that it has been sitting in the box. I have the original box, chain, booklet and warranty. Looking forward to hearing back from LLWW. I have requested case and movement restoration but any suggestions on what I should get done (or not;) is welcome.
LAWW is the best. I wouldn’t let anyone else handle any watch I own that is out of warranty.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:33 pm

Got mine in the old days head only for 2000 bucks at the MWR PX sales section wished the prices were still that way. I am cheap when I see a deal most of the time I jump on it far and few between.

Tudorlover

Post by Tudorlover » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:38 pm

Hi Forum, So I got an estimate from LLWW for my Tudor Submariner from 1973.
I have questions to a couple of the estimate elements: Estimate text in brackets and my question below on the following:

'The existing crystal is worn and will need to be replaced. The replacement crystal is OEM and New Old Stock.'
Has anybody tried this and will it be the same type of flat disc of lucite that was on the original? (I have only seen OEM crystals for Rolexes and they are curved and flush with the bezel)

'After taking a closer look at the handset, we'll definitely need to re-lume the set. The material has been replaced in the past and is too thick, which is making contact with the dial. We use period correct material which will match the dial indices in color, texture and UV response. I'll revise the estimate to include this service.'
Has anybody had reluming done and is it ok to do this without affecting the value of the watch, it sounds like it is a nessesary repair.

'The vintage refinish is purely aesthetic with the purpose to correct the geometry of the mid case. A light patina will be applied to the case sides for an "unpolished" finish to compliment the age of the watch. This is optional...'
Should I get this done?

Your thoughts and advise are much appreciated.
Best, Soren

Blaine
Name: Blaine

Post by Blaine » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:42 pm

Tudorlover wrote:Hi Forum, So I got an estimate from LLWW for my Tudor Submariner from 1973.
I have questions to a couple of the estimate elements: Estimate text in brackets and my question below on the following:

'The existing crystal is worn and will need to be replaced. The replacement crystal is OEM and New Old Stock.'
Has anybody tried this and will it be the same type of flat disc of lucite that was on the original? (I have only seen OEM crystals for Rolexes and they are curved and flush with the bezel)

I BELIEVE THIS IS Cyclops # 125 for the 9411. Sounds like they are replacing with OEM NOS part. You can confirm with them.

'After taking a closer look at the handset, we'll definitely need to re-lume the set. The material has been replaced in the past and is too thick, which is making contact with the dial. We use period correct material which will match the dial indices in color, texture and UV response. I'll revise the estimate to include this service.'
Has anybody had reluming done and is it ok to do this without affecting the value of the watch, it sounds like it is a nessesary repair.

I HAVE HAD SEVERAL WATCHES BOTH RELUMED AND “SEALED LUME”. The latter is applied to existing lumed indices and hands to prevent the lume from cracking or falling out.
I zoomed in on the hands and cannot tell if they are referring to an “old” relume job from the past. Also, without actually seeing the hands…you may just need to rely on their expertise. Not sure if they are also referring to any marks on the dial from the thickness of the lume (underneath hands). Perhaps clarify. Certainly from the condition of crystal, really hard to tell. To me..everything matches…but you can clarify with them.

'The vintage refinish is purely aesthetic with the purpose to correct the geometry of the mid case. A light patina will be applied to the case sides for an "unpolished" finish to compliment the age of the watch. This is optional...'
Should I get this done?

I believe this would be up to you…I always prefer “untouched” not polished cases. The more original, the better. That said, if it was previously polished and they do a very sympathetic case refinish (based only if it was done before); Would not be the end of the world. If you plan on keeping this…all original (except NOS crystal) untouched…is the way to go. If the hands pose a problem, as they stated, this should be corrected.

By the way…great example and have heard great things about LAWW. Best Blaine

Your thoughts and advise are much appreciated.
Best, Soren
See my comments aboveImage
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:35 pm

rockmastermike wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:13 am
I have used both back in the day and can confirm Hoppy's suggestion

also, would love to see, please post if/when you can :thumbsup:
I have used both many times.

Avoid touching the lume, it’ll kill the value.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:38 pm

This was done by ABC before they split off to LAWW

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:29 pm

Tudorlover wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:38 pm
The material has been replaced in the past and is too thick, which is making contact with the dial. We use period correct material which will match the dial indices in color, texture and UV response.
You can see the ghosting/light gray rubs in the center of the dial from the hour hand rubbing it.

Everything they are recommending I would do.

kempoman

Post by kempoman » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:35 pm

my understanding is Rolex/Tudor will keep most old parts. This proves i am wrong.
Watch collector since 1989

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:35 am

How is the light patina applied to the case?
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

Tudorlover

Post by Tudorlover » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:19 am

ImageHi Board, thanks for all your input. I have included a better image of the dial to maybe help clarify.
To me it does not look all that bad, but lt me know what you think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tudorlover

Post by Tudorlover » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:59 am

I don't think it is too different dial wise from this. but let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Tudorlover

Post by Tudorlover » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:31 am

Andrema, what did you get done on yours? Any lome work?

Tudorlover

Post by Tudorlover » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:05 pm

Toxicavenger, why would the lume rub the dial, is it not only on the top of the hands?