Two Special Quartz Divers

A place to discuss vintage watches.
jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Re: Two Special Quartz Divers

Post by jeckyll » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:01 pm

You can't be a snowflake on DWC.

But really, read a few threads and it's pretty clear what to expect.

:shrug:

Blah blah smrt phone

We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:29 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Steve O. wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:10 pm
Oh that’s weird.
I hope I didn’t offend him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMO, dude was excited and proud of his incoming watches. Not sure about the whole "Seiko Guru himself, Spencer Klein" thing though. Maybe he figured you pissed in his Cheerios, but hell, HTFU.
That’s exactly what it was. I think he figured everyone would be as excited about it as he was. If he thought this was bad, he was definitely right to leave. We’re not everyone’s cup of tea.
I like to think of the DWC family as a truck stop with a restaurant and a glory hole in the bathroom.

Even though the food is kind of shitty you’ll still grab something to eat there and even though there is a glory hole in the bathroom, and maybe another one out by the propane refill station, you don’t run in and make a big deal about it and complain to management and flail your arms.

You just accept it for what it is: part of a greater thing.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:56 pm

And even the noobs figure out super quick that Ben is the one on the glory hole.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:34 am

Grahamcombat wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Steve O. wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
Oh that’s weird.

IMO, dude was excited and proud of his incoming watches. Not sure about the whole "Seiko Guru himself, Spencer Klein" thing though. Maybe he figured you pissed in his Cheerios, but hell, HTFU.
That’s exactly what it was. I think he figured everyone would be as excited about it as he was. If he thought this was bad, he was definitely right to leave. We’re not everyone’s cup of tea.
I like to think of the DWC family as a truck stop with a restaurant and a glory hole in the bathroom.

Even though the food is kind of shitty you’ll still grab something to eat there and even though there is a glory hole in the bathroom, and maybe another one out by the propane refill station, you don’t run in and make a big deal about it and complain to management and flail your arms.

Yes and variety is spices of life. Much like the glory hole. You never know what you’re sticking it in.

I love cinnamon.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:00 pm

Seems a lot of the Seiko forum guys are like this. It's not necessarily a bad thing because we all appreciate Seikos here but HTFU certainly applies.

When I procured my Pogue from a wristsushi seller you would have thought I was dealing with a Patek collector. It was hard to get him to part with the watch and he came to me on a WTB.

I came across and bought Jonathan Koch's white project pogue and only did so for parts -- because I knew they were solid under the hood -- and to enjoy the watch a little in the interim before putting it in the gun safe. I still occasionally get emails on who bought the watch from me... I just couldn't bring myself to keep a watch like that for parts knowing the history and because of the original owner. The watch was fun but the bezel and inlay was a spotty hand-done lacquer job to say the least.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:06 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:00 pm
Seems a lot of the Seiko forum guys are like this. It's not necessarily a bad thing because we all appreciate Seikos here but HTFU certainly applies.

When I procured my Pogue from a wristsushi seller you would have thought I was dealing with a Patek collector. It was hard to get him to part with the watch and he came to me on a WTB.

I came across and bought Jonathan Koch's white project pogue and only did so for parts -- because I knew they were solid under the hood -- and to enjoy the watch a little in the interim before putting it in the gun safe. I still occasionally get emails on who bought the watch from me... I just couldn't bring myself to keep a watch like that for parts knowing the history and because of the original owner. The watch was fun but the bezel and inlay was a spotty hand-done lacquer job to say the least.
Those guys on wristsushi and swcf are crazy freaks sometimes. It gets kind of creepy reading some of their comments, I can see them jerking their meat at the same time they are slobbering over their watches. :mrgreen:

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:21 pm

I’ve never owned a Seiko. Hmmm. Guess it’s just me.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:27 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:06 pm
sierra11b wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:00 pm

Those guys on wristsushi and swcf are crazy freaks sometimes. It gets kind of creepy reading some of their comments, I can see them jerking their meat at the same time they are slobbering over their watches. :mrgreen:
Yep. It's a bit nutty but they're as equally tight as we are here.

They certainly covet their collection but it's also worth checking-in from time to time to see what's for sale. As you know, some great watches pass through sporadically.

It's a special niche there much like MWR but a lot of the Seiko guys have put all their eggs into the Seiko basket, so once they need monies it's first come first serve on some dime pieces.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:32 pm

While I can appreciate vintage Seikos, I'm definitely not interested in going down that rabbit hole. Too much effort.

Now if one has watch making/servicing skills I can see it.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:36 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:32 pm
While I can appreciate vintage Seikos, I'm definitely not interested in going down that rabbit hole. Too much effort.

Now if one has watch making/servicing skills I can see it.
I hear you. It's a hoarders dream.

The hunt is fun but at this junction I'm only interested in keeping my Pogue running for my son's enjoyment.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:30 pm

Now I see why he deleted his account. On SCWF when he posted this same thread he got a ton of "good game pats" and not one questions, side comment. What a cheese ball

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:36 pm

I surfed some threads on the German Uhrforum recently (Google page translate rocks). Was pleased to find it reads like DWC.
The Hapa

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:07 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:30 pm
Now I see why he deleted his account. On SCWF when he posted this same thread he got a ton of "good game pats" and not one questions, side comment. What a cheese ball
Yeah, but now he's happy. So that's good.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:09 am

Grahamcombat wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:21 pm
I'm not a Seiko fanatic and I'm definitely not into the whole modding thing, but a basic SKX is a terrific watch to own. They're aren't the most accurate, but they're absolutely bulletproof. Put it down for weeks, pick it up, give it a little shake, and off it goes. They look great, too.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:15 am

JBZ wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:09 am
Grahamcombat wrote:
I'm not a Seiko fanatic and I'm definitely not into the whole modding thing, but a basic SKX is a terrific watch to own. They're aren't the most accurate, but they're absolutely bulletproof. Put it down for weeks, pick it up, give it a little shake, and off it goes. They look great, too.
I always liked this picture:

If the Seiko SKX was good enough for Gen. Schwarzkopf, it'll probably be good enough for me too. I also like how the General did dual time zones.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:24 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:15 am
JBZ wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:09 am
Grahamcombat wrote:
I always liked this picture:

If the Seiko SKX was good enough for Gen. Schwarzkopf, it'll probably be good enough for me too. I also like how the General did dual time zones.
I always loved his casual two watch style.

I'm guilty of purchasing a submariner homage in the past, but I don't think I'd ever do that again knowing I could have an SKX or SRP for less. They're just great watches with their own history.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:48 am

Grahamcombat wrote:I’ve never owned a Seiko. Hmmm. Guess it’s just me.
I think that you may like an SRP777, Tuna or Marinemaster.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:51 am

Seppia wrote:
But some Seiko fans are insane.
On the WUS thread about new Seikos, any time there is any sort of criticism there are members who are extremely butthurt.
It’s like they work for the brand.
That thread is informative, but the butthurt and bickering is hysterical.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Two Special Quartz Divers

Post by BacoNoir » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:31 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Grahamcombat wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Steve O. wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
Oh that’s weird.

Yes and variety is spices of life. Much like the glory hole. You never know what you’re sticking it in.

I love cinnamon.

I saw that skanky stripper the other day and Cinnamon told me you should call your doctor some blood work because her test came back post.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

PGERRITY
Name: Pat

Post by PGERRITY » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:26 pm

Spencer has been super nice and helpful whenever I asked him questions or needed advice on vintage stuff, but holy cow is his wait time awful. He’s about 18 months lead time for a repair if he already has the watch, and is not accepting new jobs for a while.

Sent from your mom’s house.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:50 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
You're going to upset the Seiko Fan Bois. The SKX line didn't make its debut 'til the mid 90s. :lol: It's more likely a 7548.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:46 pm

Selym wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
You're going to upset the Seiko Fan Bois. The SKX line didn't make its debut 'til the mid 90s. :lol: It's more likely a 7548.

Yep- it’s a Seiko Quartz.
Just like the one OP posted Image

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:02 am

Spencer has restored / serviced two 6139s for me. The Pogue came back with what I think is an eye lash (or maybe a blond pube) stuck in the minute counter. Assuming it's Spencer's what value do you think this will add and do you think I'll get lots of back pats and adoration if I post it on SCWF.

WRUW, 1973 Seiko 6139 lightly restored after receiving it from it's original after 40 years of almost daily use. Complete with extra special DNA!!

RR for this thread?

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:02 pm

Don’t they look at the watch before sending it back? How bout a little QAQC!
The Hapa

KidKeith
Name: KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:13 am

PGERRITY wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:26 pm
Spencer has been super nice and helpful whenever I asked him questions or needed advice on vintage stuff, but holy cow is his wait time awful. He’s about 18 months lead time for a repair if he already has the watch, and is not accepting new jobs for a while.

Sent from your mom’s house.
Same. Love the guy. Super nice dude. The watch I sent him was a mess and it wouldn't be useful without his abilites, but I miss my watch lol. He's had it since Nov 2017.