logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Vintage Heuer prices have gone crazy

Post by logan2z » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:14 am

dukerules

Re: Vintage Heuer prices have gone crazy

Post by dukerules » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:21 am

Yep. Vintage watch prices in general have gone crazy. Years ago, I knew vintage Speedmaster and Heuer prices would explode. Yet while the thought of investing in them crossed my mind, I didn't. Damn shame.

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:45 am

Damn! 90K. 90...K. Wow. Stu, this one’s all you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:18 am

I keep wondering when it’s going to stop, but it sure doesn’t seem to be slowing down.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Heuerville
Name: Stewart

Post by Heuerville » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:04 am

I was chatting to a fellow Heuer guy the other day... Seems there is a 'split' in Heuer values. Only the very best examples can command huge values, whereas examples that aren't perfect struggle to attract any interest.

As an example..
I've had little response in a 1968 Autavia 3646 'Andretti' I'm selling. A fine example of one sold on the Heuer forum 6 months ago for £12k. Mine isn't perfect, so I started at £10k, then down to £8k, and now had interest at £6.5k.
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:09 am

Seems like prices on the most popular vintage watches are going up but vintage Heuer has skyrocketed the most in price. Some times I think of selling a lot of mine off before the price drops but the more I wait the more the prices go up. Only thing that bothers me if I sell any I will never be able to afford to buy one back if I miss it.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Heuerville wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:04 am
I was chatting to a fellow Heuer guy the other day... Seems there is a 'split' in Heuer values. Only the very best examples can command huge values, whereas examples that aren't perfect struggle to attract any interest.
The 'spilt' is the only measure in which vintage can be reeled-in or maintained at a fun but still serious level.

90K seems insane but maybe someone with deep pockets will buy and subsequently put a big spike in the comparable listing graph while collectors such as yourself stick to your guns on the less than perfect examples at somewhat reasonable pricing.

Think of is as PSA baseball cards. I literally have 6 cards which would fetch $15-20K if the cut on the cardboard was perfect. Mine are about 60-70% off-center and worth about as much as the cardboard they're printed on. Same mint cards otherwise. Granted this is worthless cardboard no matter how you cut it vs. a mechanical watch, but PSA and the likes turned my decent collection of 30yrs ago into a worthless pile with their criteria, and sucked all the fun out it... Even autographed memorabilia I had signed as a kid is worth dick unless I pay to get it authenticated. Maybe it needed to be done in that there's so many examples out there printed over the years? I get it but still...

Not suggesting a "official committee" of collectors in which watches are submitted like comic books, so it'll be on the reasonable collectors to maintain great working examples at decent prices.

Come to think of it, maybe a governing collector guild criteria is the only way reel-in prices majorly to make it fun again? :think:

DON
Name: Ontario

Post by DON » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Lots of vintage models have gone way up. I bought vintage Omegas for $75 - $150 from 1998 till about 2006 when priced started rising. Same for those little Tre Tacche Longines cased models and never paid more than $75.00

Sold my Omegas around 2009 after my watchmaker passed away and didn't do anything to them and doubled my money

Longines I sold them way before and people are paying $300 for them now. I must have bought at least 30 of them for cheap with various dial designs

Not everything sells though. Needs to be the right condition and for some. The possibility to increase in value if they're paying a price for it

DON