WW1 era US Navy Chesea Deck Clock No.2

A place to discuss vintage watches.
River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:49 pm

Well the first buy of the year and I guaranty my last because I got no more space really. I been wanting a WW1 era US Navy ships clock. Well there a is a EBay seller who had a few all serviced about a 250-300 value for a service so I calculated that in the most I ever paid but you take the service out I did good. My grandfather was in the US Navy in WW1 just think this is the same type clock that was on the USS New Mexico or the USS West Virginia battle ships my Grandfather was on after WW1 the one produced during WW2 are different Bakelite plastic cases the hands are different and dial. They were well built better than the later ones. This was made in 1918 the issue serial numbers the same type as one on a WW1 era Waltham US Navy ships chronometer I have with the circle N and serial number. Dam she a nice looking clock over a 100 years old and been through a few wars the US history this clock has only if it could talk. One cool thing I noticed the movement serial number matched the brass case serial number so all original and not messed with.

Photo of the movement.

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Re: WW1 era US Navy Chesea Deck Clock No.2

Post by amckiwi » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:16 am

Gorgeous

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:34 am

Here is a cool link of a clock like mine but with white dial off the USS New York a battle ship built before WW1. A cool site on US Navy History. Also links to US navy museums.
https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collec ... b-34-.html
Another link with history of the ship the clock in the link was from. Would be nice to find out what ship mine is from.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_New_York_(BB-34)

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:00 pm

The main reason I got this clock it was on active duty when my Granddad was in the Navy from WW1-WW2 don't know if I ever posted photo's of my grandfathers service here are a few there very old some over a 100 years old. My family was 4 generation Navy and me the last.
He was a ACMM chief this in in 1925.
Christmas day 1917 Miami Florida
Deering Island Florida think it's filled in with dirt and a Miami street. As you see he was on the ground floor in early Navy aviation.
The USS New Mexico
Cool photo OSHA would not allow this today no safety harnesses used in that photo.
This was going across the line the equator looked more brutal than when I went across the line. look at those cricket bats that had to hurt. And love that suitcase no justice no mercy.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:31 am

Since some of our members are from Florida figure you would like to learn Naval history of your state.
The Photo's I posted from my Grandfather photo album I been wondering were Deering Island was in Florida it's the photo location of the WW1 seaplanes was never sure some had good guesses. But a member on the Omega forum pointed me in the right area since he lives in Miami. Turns out the name of the island since it was filled in got lost in time the locals just call it Dinner Keys. Around Miami Florida.
Photo of it found on the net around 1918
and this below found on another site.
Miami, Florida Seaplane training and patrol station began in October 1917. The commissioning date is unknown. A Marine Flying Field was established at Miami on an adjacent tract to the NAS in March 1918.

Found that on these site. When WW1 started the US Navy only had one NAS base but many during the war they did a lot of catch up.
https://www.bluejacket.com/usn-usmc_avi ... ields.html

The Navy closed the base right after WW1 and for a while was a civilian seaplane airport for a while.
More info here mystery solved.
http://www.airfields-freeman.com/FL/Air ... #dinnerkey

Now if any one been to the Miami city hall your there right on top of a former WW1 area NAS seaplane base. And inside a former Pan Am clipper Terminal Building.

DrWapenshaw
Name: J

Post by DrWapenshaw » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:00 am

River Rat wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:00 pm
My family was 4 generation Navy and me the last.
:salute:

Same here brother! I did my first couple years and was ready to get out and do college asap, my father was none to happy about me skipping college to join while he was deployed. Although that was the family tradition as well. All mustangs!
I grew up 100% on base, so my youth was time served as well.

Anyhow, I wanted to get one of these beautiful clocks, but who the hell is gonna wind this damn thing!!!!
Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 am

Doctor they run eight days on one windup. so pick one day a week like your day off from work like a Saturday or Sunday and done. I can send you a link of the seller I got it off of. He services them so should run a long time with out a service. His sell for more but if you subtract what a service cost you come out about the same as a fixer upper that sells for less on Ebay but after you pay some one to service it you about paid the same. He has make offer do that you will come out with a price you both can live with. The seller a ex submariner just let me know I will send the link to his Ebay store.

DrWapenshaw

Post by DrWapenshaw » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 am

River Rat wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 am
Doctor they run eight days on one windup. so pick one day a week like your day off from work like a Saturday or Sunday and done. I can send you a link of the seller I got it off of. He services them so should run a long time with out a service. His sell for more but if you subtract what a service cost you come out about the same as a fixer upper that sells for less on Ebay but after you pay some one to service it you about paid the same. He has make offer do that you will come out with a price you both can live with. The seller a ex submariner just let me know I will send the link to his Ebay store.

Yes, please send me the link. Now I feel like an ass, when you mentioned submariner. My little nephew is currently deployed "somewhere" in a submarine.
If not for me, I will probably get one for him or me, or his dad, who retired just a couple years back after his 20+ years.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:08 am

Cool stuff. Thanks for posting.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:26 am

Here is another ship my Grandfather was on the USS Saratoga CV-3 my Dad use to have a large photo of it hanging in the house when he passed away my Step mom ether kept it or gave it to one of here chicken sons who never served in the military. I got this photo off the net you will see it has a strip on the island that way you could tell the USS Lexington CV-2 and the USS Saratoga CV-3 apart they were sister ships my Dad told me that the other one the USS Langely CV-1 Americas first carrier we have went a long way since. The Saratoga was first ordered as a battle cruiser then later turned into a carrier instead.
Wished I had that large photo my Dad had also a WW1 Navy recruiting poster who knows were there at now dam it. When they did a atom bomb test on a bunch of Navy ships after WW2 this ship survived the test still afloat they had to use conventional ammo to finish the job to sink it I guess divers can dive and see the shipwreck of it today. Should get that clock tomorrow if the USPS tracking site right.

DrWapenshaw

Post by DrWapenshaw » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:55 am

“Chicken sons” you funny man!
That salt, you got it all in your pajamas bra, retirement is rough on you!

Thanks for sharing those awesome photos 😎

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:26 am

River Rat wrote:Doctor they run eight days on one windup. so pick one day a week like your day off from work like a Saturday or Sunday and done. I can send you a link of the seller I got it off of. He services them so should run a long time with out a service. His sell for more but if you subtract what a service cost you come out about the same as a fixer upper that sells for less on Ebay but after you pay some one to service it you about paid the same. He has make offer do that you will come out with a price you both can live with. The seller a ex submariner just let me know I will send the link to his Ebay store.
I’ve got two Wakmann 8-Day clocks from a TWA aircraft we used to train aircraft assaults on. I gave one to my old partner from the Air Marshals and kept the other.

DrWapenshaw

Post by DrWapenshaw » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:35 am

Grahamcombat wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:26 am

I’ve got two Wakmann 8-Day clocks from a TWA aircraft we used to train aircraft assaults on.

Your lucky that snake didn’t bite your ass.

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:46 am

I made that snake my bitch.

I should’ve killed it and made a holster & kit out of it like Party Size’s.

Nothing says “I’m ready for your third world shenanigans” like snake skin kit.

DrWapenshaw

Post by DrWapenshaw » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:46 am

Nothing says “I’m ready for your third world shenanigans” As you throw a mofo out of a plane in your snake skin kit.

No kidding LULZ

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:26 am
River Rat wrote:Doctor they run eight days on one windup. so pick one day a week like your day off from work like a Saturday or Sunday and done. I can send you a link of the seller I got it off of. He services them so should run a long time with out a service. His sell for more but if you subtract what a service cost you come out about the same as a fixer upper that sells for less on Ebay but after you pay some one to service it you about paid the same. He has make offer do that you will come out with a price you both can live with. The seller a ex submariner just let me know I will send the link to his Ebay store.
I’ve got two Wakmann 8-Day clocks from a TWA aircraft we used to train aircraft assaults on. I gave one to my old partner from the Air Marshals and kept the other.

They look cool in plastic stands you can use it as a desk clock by your computer.
Was repairing the nob on this one why it's off. Here is a link of this guy on Ebay you can contact him what type of clock you have and he mite be able to make it for you.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/bjbusiness/m.h ... 7675.l2562

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:22 am

Well it came today when ever USPS has there hands on a package it seem 3 day shipping turns into 7 day shipping and were it was sent from is a days drive from me. Mite have to do UPS or FedEx for packages they do it on time and to your door as in Rural MT you pick it up your self at the post office I think if it was sent pony express it would of been on time by horse back .
A lot of you mite wonder why I like these deck clocks so much. In the Navy time was very important it ran your life. You had to know when to relieve the watch on time on duty day, when chow was served they only did it at certain times, when drills were going to start and being there on time, What time to muster for work and other things, when they raise the flag and lower it the plan of the day a paper that got printed every day to show what was going to happen on ship and the time those thing happen and if you name was on that evolution you had to be there on time. One thing the military did for me in civilian life I was never late for work ever some thing I could not say for some I worked with in the civilian world who never served.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:27 am

Here are a few more photo's I found of my Grandfather I never posted here before.
A early Navy photo of my Grandfather around 1913
This one taken in 1918 on back of photo said he made Chief in less than 5 years it said they called it a slit Chief when you get promoted that fast he is one of the Chiefs next to the Officers. Dam I never had that luck he had to be good at what he did. Check out those tall boots on the Officers. This photo was taken the same year my Deck Clock was made and issued.
In the 1920's with my Dad as a baby.
This was taken when WW2 was going on he was a mustang were a enlisted becomes a Officer his rank when he retired was a LT. Lieutenant. He looks like he would of been a tough officer to work for some one who don't take crap. My Dad and his Brother worked for him he was there division officer he once put my Dad in the Brig most likely for coming back to the ship drunk and saying some thing he shouldn't have how wonder my Dad was tough on me at times.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:15 pm

Just got this from Chelsea.
Was shipped to the US Navy observatory on February 20,1918 kind of like getting the birth certificate of a Military timepiece. Just think this clock was once on the property of the US Naval Observatory and tested before shipping it off to the fleet that's were the house of our vice president lives now.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:18 am

River Rat wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:26 am
Here is another ship my Grandfather was on the USS Saratoga CV-3 my Dad use to have a large photo of it hanging in the house when he passed away my Step mom ether kept it or gave it to one of here chicken sons who never served in the military. I got this photo off the net you will see it has a strip on the island that way you could tell the USS Lexington CV-2 and the USS Saratoga CV-3 apart they were sister ships my Dad told me that the other one the USS Langely CV-1 Americas first carrier we have went a long way since. The Saratoga was first ordered as a battle cruiser then later turned into a carrier instead.
Wished I had that large photo my Dad had also a WW1 Navy recruiting poster who knows were there at now dam it. When they did a atom bomb test on a bunch of Navy ships after WW2 this ship survived the test still afloat they had to use conventional ammo to finish the job to sink it I guess divers can dive and see the shipwreck of it today. Should get that clock tomorrow if the USPS tracking site right.
The one carrier the USS Lexington the one with out the strip on the sail the sister ship to one my Grandfather was on that was sunk in the battle of the corral sea in WW2 the shipwreck of it has just been found.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ai ... spartandhp

https://news.usni.org/2018/03/05/video- ... -lexington

The last link has video and there is a WW2 photo of a Grumman F4F-3 from WW2 with insignia of the squadron and number of kills and the same aircraft on the wreck.