Bulova BUSHIPS Tribute Build

A place to discuss vintage watches.
Lukeeesteve
Name: Luke

Bulova BUSHIPS Tribute Build

Post by Lukeeesteve » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Just sharing an fantasy build I took a few years to complete from concept to gathering parts to prototyping and finally execution.

Case: a 36mm modern day case...machined to accommodate the movement and chronograph mechanism.
Movement is a WWII era single button chronograph, bulova 10AH.

Dial custom made to measure the 1/2 speed of sonar underwater.

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Re: Bulova BUSHIPS Tribute Build

Post by ncstate1201 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:40 am

Interesting and it may be out of line to ask, but I would have thought having things machined for you and for a 1 off would be cost prohibitive?

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:34 am

ncstate1201 wrote:Interesting and it may be out of line to ask, but I would have thought having things machined for you and for a 1 off would be cost prohibitive?
There was some one selling the remade cases in mass on Ebay there was a thread about it on MWR forum can't find the link just for the cases but here are past sells of made up watches
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... Complete=1
Some years back I passed on a original Elgin WW2 canteen watch for a 1000 bucks at a NAWCC mart they now sell for 2000 or more. I have a lot of WW2 US military watches in the collection I buy them for the history not to wear due to there small size I passed on the canteen due to the price a 1000 bucks for some thing I would never wear when I buy a Issued military watch any thing over 200 that's to small to wear I pass. Still can't believe some one paid 600 bucks for a put together on one of those past sells were some one put the cap on a vintage case and spare parts and a movement swamp crazy reminds me of watchco's Omega 300 put together with spare parts..

Lukeeesteve

Post by Lukeeesteve » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:07 am

Sometimes it can be, and cost is relative.

The movement was off a watch with a broken lug... that was probably going to end up in someone's spare part bin.
The custom made or machined parts are mainly the spacer ring, dial and bezel lip (to accommodate the main plate to stem offset)

It helps to have a friend or two who have lathes/mills etc.
At the end of the day, you basically have a one off that I would not hesitate using.

I agree that the 32mm is a bit small for modern day use. I tried a 40mm and it was totally out of scale with a canteen crown. 36-38mm is a sweet spot IMO unless you are used to 47mm panerais.

Lukeeesteve

Post by Lukeeesteve » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:12 am

Oh here is the watch in action with some test hands.