Glycine Airman

A place to discuss vintage watches.
caesarmascetti

Glycine Airman

Post by caesarmascetti » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:36 pm

just got this in the mail, and a big thanks to Mike for guiding me, the hacking even works.

quick and dirty cell phone pic

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Re: Glycine Airman

Post by ericf4 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:41 pm

is this the same one Mike had or another of the same model you found???Damn cool!!
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:51 pm

ericf4 wrote:is this the same one Mike had or another of the same model you found???Damn cool!!

another of the same model, the guy that owned it flew 67 missions out of Thailand (Takhli Royal Thai Air Force Base) flying Douglas EB-66E, a radar jamming plane accompanying F-105s and B52's to jam enemy radar.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:53 pm

thats FRICKIN cool man
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:29 pm

ericf4 wrote:is this the same one Mike had or another of the same model you found???Damn cool!!
Congrats on your Airman :thumbsup: The difference between the two caesarmascetti has a A.Schild 1701 25 jewel Movement. Mine is the Glycine Special version has the same movement but lower jewel count think a 17 jewel movement so they can sell it at a lower cost in the PX I read on line. Dam that was fast shipping. Since it has a none quick set date you do that 24 back to the 20 and back to the 24 save ware and tear on the movement by not going full circle turning the hands for the date change. And you got some cool history with that watch.

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:00 pm

River Rat wrote:
Congrats on your Airman :thumbsup: The difference between the two caesarmascetti has a A.Schild 1701 25 jewel Movement. Mine is the Glycine Special version has the same movement but lower jewel count think a 17 jewel movement so they can sell it at a lower cost in the PX I read on line. Dam that was fast shipping. Since it has a none quick set date you do that 24 back to the 20 and back to the 24 save ware and tear on the movement by not going full circle turning the hands for the date change. And you got some cool history with that watch.
Thanks man it's running slow, so I packed it up in a box and am sending it to Nevada Watch, my pictures suck but it really is in very nice shape

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm

Surprising since I got it back from service I been wearing mine ever since. And it's not the most expensive watch in the collection just way different than the others.

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:28 pm

River Rat wrote:Surprising since I got it back from service I been wearing mine ever since. And it's not the most expensive watch in the collection just way different than the others.

they had no idea the last time it had been serviced, and judging from what the spring bars looked like the leather strap was original just like the seller said, there was all kinds of gunk on them

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:16 pm

Nice one CSAR.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:20 pm

Very nice

This is on my vintage list

Congrats
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:47 pm

super nice!

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Still lurkin'! Nice pickup :)
:htfu:

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:43 am

I remember some members had fears the size of this watch being small. I did a post at MWR for members to post there Airman. Well one member spotted photo's of a vintage Gylcine Airman in a men's clothing magazine some good wrist shots dam cool leather NATO those shots make the watch look normal and not small at all the perfect size. And looks like these vintage pieces is getting rediscovered to show up in a magazine .
http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthre ... an-watches

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:42 am

not a bad size at all, I have about a 7.25" wrist and it wears nicely IMO the lugs are relatively long so the watch wears bigger than the diameter would indicate IMO

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:43 am

Your watch is in good hands here is another happy customer has before and after photo's Jim does great work.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f18/vintag ... 59626.html

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:06 pm

River Rat wrote:Your watch is in good hands here is another happy customer has before and after photo's Jim does great work.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f18/vintag ... 59626.html
I have no doubt about that already heard back from Jim:

Thank you for sending the watch. I have opened the case; it looks almost new. It is always useful to put watches on the electronic timing machine as they are received. As you wrote, the watch is running slow. What I am seeing is a loss of 40 seconds a day in the dial up or dial down position. In the crown down position, it is slow about 55 seconds a day. As you may be aware, watch timing is dependent on the position of the watch. There is the effect of gravity as the positions change, and also there are frictional losses that vary with position.

The 15 second positional difference is not unusual, although I believe that I can mitigate it a bit. Of course, I will bring the overall timing up to as close to zero as possible. Customarily, with the positional differences, I divide the error on either site of zero. So the watch may be a bit fast in one position, and a bit slow in another position, with the hope that when worn, the errors will more or less cancel.

One thing not correct with the watch on the timing machine is the balance wheel amplitude. With a watch freshly cleaned and oiled, one expects the balance wheel to swing about 270 degrees ether side of the center in the dial position, although many old watches, due to wear don’t always live up to the expectation. With your watch, which may not have been cleaned and oiled in quite some time (?), the balance is swinging well over 300 degrees. This definitely not correct.

A possibility is that an incorrect mainspring may have been installed at some point over the fifty-odd years since it left the factory. The other, I think more likely possibility, is that there is a lubrication problem with the spring. The mainspring in a watch is contained in the mainspring barrel, which is a flat cylindrical container. In a hand wound watch, the outer end of the mainspring is hooked to the barrel wall. The inner end is attached to the mainspring arbor, which is where the winding takes place.

With an auto winding watch, the outer end of the mainspring is allowed to slip when the watch is fully wound. If not for this slipping the winding mechanism would break the spring. The wall of the mainspring barrel is coated with a specific lubricant to facilitate the slipping. It could be that in the case of your watch, the spring is not slipping as it should and is being wound beyond its design limit. The only way to know is to wait until I have the watch disassembled.

If there is a mainspring problem, not cured by lubrication, then the mainspring will need to be replaced. What I would like to do is to quote you the $240 cost of service and have the contingent possibility of a mainspring replacement at $30. Of course, if the spring is O.K., then the $30 contingency goes away.

so worst case scenario it looks like about $270, for service

Joe C
Name: Joe

Post by Joe C » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:29 pm

That thing is incredible! Great find.
pure awesomeness :
(adj) The condition of having no faults, being completely extreme, and incredibly sick at life.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:45 am

It's been all most a few months wondering if you got it back from service yet ?

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:51 am

River Rat wrote:It's been all most a few months wondering if you got it back from service yet ?
Just got it back this past Friday all serviced, wearing it as I type :-)

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:10 am

pics?? congrats!

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:16 am

Nice pick up. Cool provenance.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."