Name: Mike

Re: Incoming

Post by mikeylacroix » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Good looking piece

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:18 am

Well Jim the watchmaker who is going to work on my watch received it and had a look at it. The good thing the hacking lever still there just the wire missing. So with service and the hacking wire repaired only $335.00 so not a bad deal. Considering one serviced with working hacking sells for over $2000 on ebay these days so this is like getting one at halve price. The watchmaker said he will email photo's of the repair I will post the photo's when he get's around to working on my watch. A rare thing having a vintage airman with working hacking can't wait to get it back.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:14 pm

Thinking of getting one of these for it.
http://shop.hodinkee.com/collections/wa ... ther-strap
Any one know what shipping Hodinkee uses to ship would like USPS to my PO box so it's not left on the porch if not home.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:45 pm

River Rat wrote:Thinking of getting one of these for it.
Any one know what shipping Hodinkee uses to ship would like USPS to my PO box so it's not left on the porch if not home.

I've ordered a strap from them- well made.

I'm sure they will deliver to your PO box. Plus you're in BFE, nobodies gonna drive up to your house to steal a strap.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:06 pm

BBK357 wrote:

I'm sure they will deliver to your PO box. Plus you're in BFE, nobodies gonna drive up to your house to steal a strap.
Tried to order it to be sent to the PO box but it declined it most sites do that when they use FedEx since they don't deliver to Po Boxes. Going to be gone a few days about the time they would deliver it don't want it left on the porch or sent back after a few tries with no one home.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:21 pm

River Rat wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

Tried to order it to be sent to the PO box but it declined it most sites do that when they use FedEx since they don't deliver to Po Boxes. Going to be gone a few days about the time they would deliver it don't want it left on the porch or sent back after a few tries with no one home.
Well it took me a while to order this watch strap for some reason a PO Box as a address would do a error message on the order page. I contacted them and Ashley who contacted me was a great help they sent a PayPal invoice for the Strap I wanted. So when I get back in a few weeks should be in my PO Box and ready for when I get my vintage Glycine airman back from service should look great on it.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:31 am

BBK357 wrote:

Well the strap was waiting for me when I got home in my PO Box was gone for 5 days we get serous wind in MT in the winter that box was light would of got blown off the porch some nights sounds like the roof going to blow off. Great strap will look good on the Glycine Airman when it come back after service. Great how they thin down the leather thickness were the strap tapers down by the buckle adjustment holes so it's not so thick so it's more flexible when it bends and has that vintage look from the get-go.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:37 pm

Here is some cool info the airman made it into space now I have two watches in the collection that were the brand that was used in space the airman and speedy. This astronaut had to be a watch nerd wearing a airman and speedy at the same time in another photo he is wearing three watches at the same time.
https://24hourwatch.org/airman_in_space/

You can see from the lugs and 24 HRS bezel ring this is a Airman

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:15 pm

Great article with cool pics. Thanks for posting.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:36 am

Just back from service my 1967 Glycine Airman and now with working hack wire not many watchmakers can fix that.

The wire now pop out of that small hole at the 24 dam I need a better camera.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:44 am

A better photo

franco60

Post by franco60 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:01 pm

Gorgeous. Congrats.

Nomadz
Name: Nick

Post by Nomadz » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:45 pm

Cool watch. Congrats
" The sunshine bores the daylights outta me......"

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:11 pm

Wow that looks awesome.
I may need one
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:13 pm

Looks great Mike. I've wanted an Airman for a long while. But I'll probably go modern because of the size and the fact that I really like the blue dial variant

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:47 am

Looks great Mike!

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:53 am

So far it looses 2 seconds a day not bad for a watch over 49 years old wonder how good new watches of today will be doing 49 years from now you youngers guys will know.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:46 am

Had this back from the watchmaker for over a week still looses about 2 seconds a day. The best thing about this watch is the hacking mechanism being fixed it's so unique with the wire small as a human hair coming out of a small hole at the 24 to stop the second hand. Ever notice when you try to hack a watch that don't have this you some times don't pull the crown up at the right time so the second hand stops at the 12 and then have to do it all over again. Well that never happens with this watch it stops at the 24 every time when you pull the crown up to hack how cool is that.

r.palace

Incoming

Post by r.palace » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:06 am

River Rat wrote:Had this back from the watchmaker for over a week still looses about 2 seconds a day. The best thing about this watch is the hacking mechanism being fixed it's so unique with the wire small as a human hair coming out of a small hole at the 24 to stop the second hand. Ever notice when you try to hack a watch that don't have this you some times don't pull the crown up at the right time so the second hand stops at the 12 and then have to do it all over again. Well that never happens with this watch it stops at the 24 every time when you pull the crown up to hack how cool is that.
That is pretty cool, Mike. Wasn't aware of this previously :thumbsup:

Good looking piece
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:02 pm

Here is the best shot of the wire at the 24 it's between the numbers in the 24