Getting my Grandfather's watch restored...... (UPDATE)

A place to discuss vintage watches.
dnslater
Name: Nick

Getting my Grandfather's watch restored...... (UPDATE)

Post by dnslater » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:33 pm

I inherited this watch last year when my grandfather passed. He was a WWII paratrooper who lied about his age to join the military at 17. From his old photos, I think the watch was worn by him while in the service. The watch runs, but I decided it was time to have a look at the movement and send it in to have it cleaned up. It is at a local watchmaker now. Thought I would post "before" photos. The movement is a Felsa 690 "Bidynator" which I'm told was the first bidirectional winding movement, and started production in 1942.

Watch is small, probably 33 or 34 mm. I will probably put it on a NATO and maybe hand it down to my daughter eventually. Will update with "After" photos. Having it serviced, having the crystal replaced, and having the dial "lightly" cleaned. Will probably have them lightly polish the case as well.

My grandfather:

The watch (text has worn off the dial, so the make is a mystery):
Last edited by dnslater on Wed May 06, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy
Name: Peter

Re: Getting my Grandfather's watch restored......

Post by Terpits » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:43 pm

Your grandpa looks like Edward Norton.
:rimshot:

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:47 pm

Terpits wrote:Your grandpa looks like Edward Norton.
Fought like him too.

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:47 pm

Cool-looking forward to after pics. Good stuff.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:55 pm

Cool watch and much respect for anyone who was Airborne.
On another note, I kind of wish we would go back to tucking in the tie..it looks classy imo.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Cool story. My Dad also lied about his age he was 16 years old when he went into the US Navy in WW2. Some thing today you could not get away with. That's a real early self winder can't wait to see it back after service.

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:00 pm

Good deal. Looking forward to seeing the results.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:45 pm

That is going to be awesome

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:53 am

Before I took it in I notice that the hands still glowed. Read that Radium has a half life of 1600 years. Had no idea.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:06 am

dnslater wrote:Before I took it in I notice that the hands still glowed. Read that Radium has a half life of 1600 years. Had no idea.
They got 8 cents a dial to paint the radium on dials and I guess hands to could not find what I was looking for some thing I read about Radium girls that painted watch dials but here is a story of the last one.
http://articles.courant.com/2014-03-03/ ... o-good-job

sinner
Closet Baller
Name: Sum Ting Wong

Post by sinner » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:18 am

Awesome. Reis Nichols?

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:28 am

River Rat wrote:
dnslater wrote:Before I took it in I notice that the hands still glowed. Read that Radium has a half life of 1600 years. Had no idea.
They got 8 cents a dial to paint the radium on dials and I guess hands to could not find what I was looking for some thing I read about Radium girls that painted watch dials but here is a story of the last one.
http://articles.courant.com/2014-03-03/ ... o-good-job
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_Girls

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:23 am

sinner wrote:Awesome. Reis Nichols?
Rudy's watch repair, does Reis have an in house watchmaker? Seems like most places don't.

Nomadz

Post by Nomadz » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:22 am

Very cool man. Funny though it's small by modern standards
It looks Perfect on your grandfather.
" The sunshine bores the daylights outta me......"

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:28 am

These are some of my favorite threads that we find on DWC. Very cool. Also, never knew about Radium Girls... more cool stuff to learn.

:salute:
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

sinner
Closet Baller
Name: Sum Ting Wong

Post by sinner » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:50 pm

dnslater wrote:
Rudy's watch repair, does Reis have an in house watchmaker? Seems like most places don't.
Pretty sure the northside locale has a master watchmaker. Pretty expensive, though.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:02 pm

sinner wrote:
dnslater wrote:
Pretty sure the northside locale has a master watchmaker. Pretty expensive, though.

Thanks. Good to know. Windsor on the circle has one too but I had a very bad experience and won't go back. Rudy's is on Lafayette blvd but they are unfortunately moving out to Brownsburg next month.

2canChew
Old School
Name: Cap

Post by 2canChew » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:18 pm

dnslater wrote:I inherited this watch last year when my grandfather passed. He was a WWII paratrooper who lied about his age to join the military at 17. From his old photos, I think the watch was worn by him while in the service. The watch runs, but I decided it was time to have a look at the movement and send it in to have it cleaned up. It is at a local watchmaker now. Thought I would post "before" photos. The movement is a Felsa 690 "Bidynator" which I'm told was the first bidirectional winding movement, and started production in 1942.

Watch is small, probably 33 or 34 mm. I will probably put it on a NATO and maybe hand it down to my daughter eventually. Will update with "After" photos. Having it serviced, having the crystal replaced, and having the dial "lightly" cleaned. Will probably have them lightly polish the case as well.

My grandfather:

Certainly a very, very circulated movement used by over 30 small watch companies in the late 30's and 40''s. Most of Co's now folded with very few remaining such as>> Avalon, Rodana, Imperial, Longgines, Clinton, Alstater, Selza Clebar Heuer, Calvert, Welsbro, VTG Perfine, Lipton, Enicar, Darwil, Favre Leuba, Jean Richard, DOM, Mare Nicolet, Dukan, Delbana, Delaware, Trematic, Normandie, Ogival Fisk, Selsa, Froidevaux, and easily a dozen others!! Having said that - What we have here is the mid 40's (Leonidas) / Stainless steal back with turtle lugs :cheers:
SCROLL DOWN- For images>> http://www.ebay.ie/itm/VTG-1945-LEONIDA ... 1241691354 <<Note this is the 1st edition Yours is 2nd edition

We Brothers stick together regardless of different era's and borders. :headbang:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Censorship is like smoke, it always clears and never lasts.
- The internet should be considered a sport, it has the largest playing field.
- You can run but you can't hide, except in Beijing.
- Best cell phone plan, never owning one.
- Eat GMO's until your genitals fall off.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:42 am

I hope it turns out well. It's a lovely heirloom.
only accurate watches are interesting

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:48 am

2canChew wrote:
dnslater wrote:I inherited this watch last year when my grandfather passed. He was a WWII paratrooper who lied about his age to join the military at 17. From his old photos, I think the watch was worn by him while in the service. The watch runs, but I decided it was time to have a look at the movement and send it in to have it cleaned up. It is at a local watchmaker now. Thought I would post "before" photos. The movement is a Felsa 690 "Bidynator" which I'm told was the first bidirectional winding movement, and started production in 1942.

My grandfather:

Certainly a very, very circulated movement used by over 30 small watch companies in the late 30's and 40''s. Most of Co's now folded with very few remaining such as>> Avalon, Rodana, Imperial, Longgines, Clinton, Alstater, Selza Clebar Heuer, Calvert, Welsbro, VTG Perfine, Lipton, Enicar, Darwil, Favre Leuba, Jean Richard, DOM, Mare Nicolet, Dukan, Delbana, Delaware, Trematic, Normandie, Ogival Fisk, Selsa, Froidevaux, and easily a dozen others!! Having said that - What we have here is the mid 40's (Leonidas) / Stainless steal back with turtle lugs :cheers:
SCROLL DOWN- For images>> http://www.ebay.ie/itm/VTG-1945-LEONIDA ... 1241691354 <<Note this is the 1st edition Yours is 2nd edition

We Brothers stick together regardless of different era's and borders. :headbang:
Fantastic! Thanks for finding this! How did you find out it was a 2nd edition?

2canChew
Old School
Name: Cap

Post by 2canChew » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:19 am

dnslater wrote:
2canChew wrote:

My grandfather:

Fantastic! Thanks for finding this! How did you find out it was a 2nd edition?

Well this is what's known as a shot in the dark. First and foremost I read the corresponding serial #s. Secondly on the ebay posted watch it has a bip on the one end of the red second hand. Yours does not so I can only imagine that's an improvement. Thirdly on yours the dial is numbered in the seconds indices, which again would be an improvement. Also the winding plate on your movement is not engraved such as the one is engraved (Leonidus) on ebay. I submit this is due to the height of the war as related perhaps to (the extra cost and shipping related to engravement or outsourcing). My last point would be to suggest that the word (incabloc) or (automatic) was added above the (6 o'clock marker) hence another improvement. Factored together just seems to be the best guess not to mention a final gut instinct that I trust in. :cheers:
- Censorship is like smoke, it always clears and never lasts.
- The internet should be considered a sport, it has the largest playing field.
- You can run but you can't hide, except in Beijing.
- Best cell phone plan, never owning one.
- Eat GMO's until your genitals fall off.

dnslater

Re: Getting my Grandfather's watch restored...... (UPDATE)

Post by dnslater » Wed May 06, 2015 12:41 pm

All,

I picked up this watch back today from the Watchmaker. They didn't have many options for Nato's at the shop, so I just grabbed one they had so I could wear it. They serviced the movement, put a polish on the case and replaced the crystal. I had them leave the dial untouched to preserve the look. They polished the hands and may have relumed them. I will check later, as they originally had radium lume. It wears a tad small, but I may wear it to special occasions, and hand it down to my daughter some day.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Wed May 06, 2015 12:45 pm

Very cool. Nice to have something like it in the family!
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Wed May 06, 2015 1:01 pm

Dammit, man. That is freaking COOL. :fro: :fro: :fro:
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed May 06, 2015 1:02 pm

Looks great, Nick!
:htfu: