Cronometro Victoria

A place to discuss vintage watches.
Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Cronometro Victoria

Post by Steve O. » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:58 pm

Cronometro Victoria was a trade name used by Waltham in the late 19th and early 20th centuries for pocket watches sold in the South American market. What does this have to do with vintage dive watches? Well, fast forward sixty years or so, and here you go...

Recently picked up this (to me) very interesting vintage diver. Above the Cronometro Victoria logo on the dial, is what I believe to be a stylized depiction of the sun. This is significant as the earlier pocket watch movements were stamped with an image of the sun. Unfortunately, there is zero information on this watch on the net. I am curious as to if it was produced by Waltham, and was indeed sold in South America. I have been unable to open the case back to view the movement and check for any markings.

The watch itself has obviously been well used. The dial is "tropicalized, and there is a crack or two in the cool blue and white enamel bezel insert. None of this bothers me in the least. Others may not agree, but I love old divers that show, for lack of a better term - "wabi". It does however, run like a top and is keeping spot on time. The case measures 40mm excluding the crew down crown.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Steve O. on Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy
Name: Peter

Re: Cronometro Victoria

Post by Terpits » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:25 pm

I like it. Those wouldn't bother me either.
:thumbsup:
:rimshot:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: Cronometro Victoria

Post by dnslater » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:46 am

Found these photos in a sales post for that watch. Called the movement an Automatic Adolph Schild 2063 movement. This is the info on the net I found for this movement:
A.Schild movement AS 2063
produced between 1969 and 1978
self winding, hand winding is possible
center-seconds
date-function with quick-set
21.600 a/h
46 hrs power reserve
11.5 lignes/25,6 mm
5,2 mm high
17/21/25 jewels, depending on version
white date wheel
incabloc shock protection

Supposedly this movement was used by many different makers in the 70's, including Blancpain. Here is one in a Fifty Fathoms:

More here:

http://www.christophlorenz.de/watch/mov ... 3.php?l=en