My first vintage. Seiko 6217 "62mas"

A place to discuss vintage watches.
pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:39 am

This Seiko 6217 is due to arrive tomorrow. It's not in great shape, but I plan on shipping it to Dr Seiko, AKA Randall Benson, for a complete restoration. Hopefully a new crystal, bezel insert, movement service, and relume of hands and dial. I probably won't get it back for many months, but I'm looking forward to the final results.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Re: My first vintage. Seiko 6217 "62mas"

Post by gonzomantis » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:46 am

Nice Seiko. I hope to have one myself, someday.

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:54 am

The lume looks decent. I'd tend towards leaving it, as long as it's decent looking. You can change a crystal and bezel, just keep the originals, but once you relume, you lose originality. Only worth it if the lume is terrible or flaking off, IMO.
-David

pbj204

Post by pbj204 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:20 pm

dshap wrote:The lume looks decent. I'd tend towards leaving it, as long as it's decent looking. You can change a crystal and bezel, just keep the originals, but once you relume, you lose originality. Only worth it if the lume is terrible or flaking off, IMO.
Thanks for the thoughts. Since this is my first restoration I wasn't sure how much I should leave original and how much to update. I'll try to leave the lume if it looks decent enough. I'll also try to leave the case as is without any polishing.

dshap

Post by dshap » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:21 pm

pbj204 wrote:
dshap wrote:The lume looks decent. I'd tend towards leaving it, as long as it's decent looking. You can change a crystal and bezel, just keep the originals, but once you relume, you lose originality. Only worth it if the lume is terrible or flaking off, IMO.
Thanks for the thoughts. Since this is my first restoration I wasn't sure how much I should leave original and how much to update. I'll try to leave the lume if it looks decent enough. I'll also try to leave the case as is without any polishing.

If the case finish is original don't touch it!
-David

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:25 pm

Holy crap! I was just thinking about the 62MAS last night when perusing the WWRHYDWED thread, or whatever it was. I would love to find one like that - NOS even better, of course. The case lines look really good on yours, so unless there are parts of the case that are trashed, I would leave the wabi there and not touch the case. Same for that bezel (though maybe a NOS insert if you can find one). If the lume isn't flaking off, you might think about leaving it too and just do that crystal. I'm sure Randall will advise you along the way. Even if not flaking, if the lume is dried out too much, I would relume it - last thing you want is a dried up chunk of lume coming loose and working its way into the movement. :shock: CONGRATS!
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:27 pm

Firstly, the 62MAS is special, and congrats! And I agree with David, think very hard before you do a relume and case refinish (better yet, don't do either). From what I can see in your pics, the lume looks to be in great condition for a 62MAS.

pbj204

Post by pbj204 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll convey to Randall that I'd like it kept as original as possible. I'm sure he'll know what to do.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:33 pm

I would send it to Jack at IWW

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:07 pm

DO NOT SEND IT TO RANDAL BENSON!
He may take up to 2 years and is very hard to contact. Just a warning.

Send it to Jack at IWW or someone else as reliable.

Get the movement overhauled, gaskets, new crystal- whatever it takes to get it water tight.

Do not relume it! No case refinishing!
These will drain the value right out of it.

And if it's too much to deal with please PM me and I can take it off your hands.

:)
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

carlodwc

Re: My first vintage. Seiko 6217

Post by carlodwc » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:06 pm

BBK357 wrote:DO NOT SEND IT TO RANDAL BENSON!

Get the movement overhauled, gaskets, new crystal- whatever it takes to get it water tight.

And if it's too much to deal with please PM me and I can take it off your hands.

Go Ben! :thumbsup:

pbj204

Post by pbj204 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:42 pm

I'll send Jack an email and call him tomorrow to discuss. I'll keep the case, dial, and hands original.

Should I leave the bezel insert or is it acceptable to use an aftermarket replacement?

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:47 pm

You could replace and keep the original insert. But, if you are keeping the case, dial and hands untouched a new insert will look out of place.

dshap

Post by dshap » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:51 pm

pbj204 wrote:I'll send Jack an email and call him tomorrow to discuss. I'll keep the case, dial, and hands original.

Should I leave the bezel insert or is it acceptable to use an aftermarket replacement?
I would leave it, since it's in nice shape. All I'd do is a new crystal a movement service.
-David

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:51 pm

pbj204 wrote:I'll send Jack an email and call him tomorrow to discuss. I'll keep the case, dial, and hands original.

Not to disappoint but I've been around vintage seiko for about 5 years, not that long compared to some, but just my advice. Randal does great work but the length of time combined with him not getting around to call or email back is a strikeout.

The bezel insert is up to you, as long as you keep the original. It can always be swapped back.

Good luck. That's a beauty.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:53 pm

dshap wrote:

I would leave it, since it's in nice shape. All I'd do is a new crystal a movement service.
^^^This, and a new strap.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:53 pm

carlodwc wrote:

Ha!
If I only knew what I know now when I first started.... I've spent a stupid amount of money on overhauls and restorations. And that 62mas is wayyyyy to nice to fudge up.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Looks very cool!

Congrats :cheers:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:22 pm

BBK357 wrote:
carlodwc wrote:

Ha!
If I only knew what I know now when I first started.... I've spent a stupid amount of money on overhauls and restorations. And that 62mas is wayyyyy to nice to fudge up.
And counting on the fact that some "nutcase" would pay up a boatload for a totally original watch... I would probably prefer to get an "homage" for wear and leave that one alone... :lol:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Just like Ben said "DO NOT SEND THAT TO Dr. SEIKO" that shit will be gone for years and he charges way to much for his services. If it was me I would either send it to Time Essentials in LA (a place Cesar recommend to me and they are great), ABC Watch Werks or IWW. The only thing I would get done is to have the crystal polished and the movement serviced if need be. Then all new gaskets.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:58 pm

OH and Dr.Seiko is a quack!!!

pbj204

Post by pbj204 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:31 am

Jack emailed this back

"That's a good looking example. Dial/hands are AOK.

If it were my watch I'd install a reproduction insert. They look terrific and the watch will really pop. You can always keep the original stored away if you ever decide to sell the watch."

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:45 am

pbj204 wrote:Jack emailed this back

If it were my watch I'd install a reproduction insert. They look terrific and the watch will really pop. You can always keep the original stored away if you ever decide to sell the watch."

Sounds good.

Now- where did you find it? These are pretty difficult to find in such good condition,
DEATH FROM ABOVE

pbj204

Post by pbj204 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:16 am

BBK357 wrote:
pbj204 wrote:Jack emailed this back

Sounds good.

Now- where did you find it? These are pretty difficult to find in such good condition,
I was just browsing watchrecon and noticed it. Emailed the seller right away. It was about 10 hours after he posted it. He had it listed on The Seiko and Citizen watch forum.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:47 am

Congrats good idea letting Jack at IWW do the work. He has done some work on a few of mine and I bought a vintage Omega 300 from him.