trade advice on a Rollie 1675

A place to discuss vintage watches.
streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

trade advice on a Rollie 1675

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:38 pm

I am being offered a Rolex 1675 on a trade. The proposed value of the watch is roughly $4200. It comes with an oyster bracelet and Rolex box. What do you experts think? The seller claims the only issue is the bezel sitting a bit higher in one spot. It does come with a second bezel as well. Sorry for the jumbo size pics.
Last edited by streetracer101 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Re: trade advice on a Rollie 1675

Post by River Rat » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Can't see the photo's.WU the expert on vintage Rolex PM him.

Dedalus
Professor J
Name: Jared

Post by Dedalus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:11 pm

Can't see the pics here, either. :shrug:
As has been well documented, vintage Rolex can be a minefield, so tread carefully. :thumbsup:

belligero

Post by belligero » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:55 am

streetracer101 wrote:I am being offered a Rolex 1675 on a trade. The proposed value of the watch is roughly $4200. It comes with an oyster bracelet and Rolex box.[...]
The 1675 is an outstanding watch. Could be an OK to excellent deal — depending on condition — but linking photos straight from your gmail account doesn't work. I'd love to check them out once you get them uploaded to imageshack/photobucket/whatever.
:thumbsup:

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:34 am

Thanks guys. Here are two pics. Its funny that they wouldn't show up from an email link. I was able to see them on a different computer when not logged in to DWC..must be because it was the same IP address or something. Anyway, based on my small amount of research, I don't think this watch is worth $4200, and if it is, that is best case scenario. I found a few recent listings and they seem to be selling for around $3800 - $4200.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cdnwatchguy
Name: Keith

Post by cdnwatchguy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:01 am

Looks ok. As a comparison here are a few pics of mine which I know is real and dates to about 1975.

My bezel insert was replaced and the bracelet is not specific to a GMT Master.
cheers,

Keith

belligero

Post by belligero » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 am

Not bad at all!

Bezel is likely fine, maybe he just doesn't know how to put the insert in. It takes a fair bit of force to get it to snap tightly into the groove. It's a pretty damn nice insert, by the way; doesn't appear to be a newer service replacement with the skinnier font.

Dial and hands look very good, and they appear to match nicely. No corrosion visible, either.

Bracelet looks quite decent and has twelve links — nice. Proper 2 mm spring bars (more important than most people realize). End links look correct to me; they should be stamped "580".

Can't tell if the date wheel is original, but probably is. If it's late-ish production, as it seems to be, it should be silver with flat 3s, open 6, 9, 16, 19, 29 and closed 26.

Case looks pretty good, too. Ask for photos of the back side. What's the serial number?

$4200 seems reasonable as a trade value; you could do a hell of a lot worse for that money. You can try to chisel him down if you want, but I've seen people asking more for crappier examples. I would probably regret passing this one up if I were you. That's a pretty damn nice watch, in my non-expert opinion.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:46 pm

belligero wrote:Not bad at all!

Bezel is likely fine, maybe he just doesn't know how to put the insert in. It takes a fair bit of force to get it to snap tightly into the groove. It's a pretty damn nice insert, by the way; doesn't appear to be a newer service replacement with the skinnier font.

Dial and hands look very good, and they appear to match nicely. No corrosion visible, either.

Bracelet looks quite decent and has twelve links — nice. Proper 2 mm spring bars (more important than most people realize). End links look correct to me; they should be stamped "580".

Can't tell if the date wheel is original, but probably is. If it's late-ish production, as it seems to be, it should be silver with flat 3s, open 6, 9, 16, 19, 29 and closed 26.

Case looks pretty good, too. Ask for photos of the back side. What's the serial number?

$4200 seems reasonable as a trade value; you could do a hell of a lot worse for that money. You can try to chisel him down if you want, but I've seen people asking more for crappier examples. I would probably regret passing this one up if I were you. That's a pretty damn nice watch, in my non-expert opinion.
Damn. Now you got the wheels turning. The seller says its a 2.7M which puts in 1969. I will see if I can get a good case back pic. The only concern I have is that I'd probably have to move something along should this come in. But, I do love the pepsi bezel. As far as snapping them in, how hard is it to do? Are there any special tools involved?

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:09 pm

cdnwatchguy wrote:Looks ok. As a comparison here are a few pics of mine which I know is real and dates to about 1975.

My bezel insert was replaced and the bracelet is not specific to a GMT Master.
Your watch looks incredible.

belligero

Post by belligero » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:09 pm

streetracer101 wrote:Damn. Now you got the wheels turning. The seller says its a 2.7M which puts in 1969. I will see if I can get a good case back pic. The only concern I have is that I'd probably have to move something along should this come in. But, I do love the pepsi bezel. As far as snapping them in, how hard is it to do? Are there any special tools involved?
Get a good dial pic while you're at it, although that one looks legit. There are a lot of variations.

You don't see too many counterfeit GMT dials though - it's not like some of the rare Submarnier/Sea-Dweller versions where a genuine one can be worth a fortune.

Just work the bezel insert around evenly with your thumbs and press hard, it'll snap in eventually. Or get a Rolex tech to do it for you, and ask for a dry pressure test while you're at it so you can take it swimming.

It's a pretty damn sweet watch at that price from the looks of it, and the box is a nice touch. They sell for way more than that with papers, but you can't wear papers so who cares?

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Man that looks hot. Man I need a 1675. Maybe a birth year :think:

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:05 am

It looks to be a pretty clean piece. Here are some more pics:

belligero

Post by belligero » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:12 am

She looks pretty doable for a 43-year-old to me. I say go for it!

If not... dibs!