Lord Elgin Pocket Watch

A place to discuss vintage watches.
Post Reply
User avatar
Selym
Posts: 1259
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Lord Elgin Pocket Watch

Post by Selym » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:21 pm

My great-grandfather's Lord Elgin pocket watch, built 1911 or thereabouts. I don't carry it, but I wind it and use it as a desk clock occasionally.

15 jewels, size 16s movement.

Image

Image

Image

Last edited by Selym on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 4227
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: Lord Elgin Pocket Watch

Post by Chocodove » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:53 pm

I love seeing pieces like this. Being from 1911 is no joke. How is the time keeping?
- Todd

User avatar
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Posts: 5694
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 am
Name: David
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Lord Elgin Pocket Watch

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:04 pm

Myles that's really cool! DefInitely an heirloom to cherish. I also have my Grandfather's Elgin pocket watch he used while working on the L&N Railroad. It has the Benjamin W Raymond railroad grade movement and dates to 1921. Wound it once to see if it works and it does, but I'd rather get it serviced before trying again.

ImageImageImage

Image

User avatar
Selym
Posts: 1259
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Re: Lord Elgin Pocket Watch

Post by Selym » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:19 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:53 pm
I love seeing pieces like this. Being from 1911 is no joke. How is the time keeping?
It gains about 20 seconds per day sitting on my desk. IWW overhauled it in 2011, and based on the markings inside the case, it was serviced in '95, '99, and '03.

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 4227
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: Lord Elgin Pocket Watch

Post by Chocodove » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:24 pm

Selym wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:19 pm
Chocodove wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:53 pm
I love seeing pieces like this. Being from 1911 is no joke. How is the time keeping?
It gains about 20 seconds per day sitting on my desk. IWW overhauled it in 2011, and based on the markings inside the case, it was serviced in '95, '99, and '03.
Not bad at all for a 100+ year old movement.
- Todd

User avatar
Selym
Posts: 1259
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Re: Lord Elgin Pocket Watch

Post by Selym » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:26 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:04 pm
Myles that's really cool! DefInitely an heirloom to cherish. I also have my Grandfather's Elgin pocket watch he used while working on the L&N Railroad. It has the Benjamin W Raymond railroad grade movement and dates to 1921. Wound it once to see if it works and it does, but I'd rather get it serviced before trying again.
Nice watch! That's a higher-grade movement than what's in mine.

Image

User avatar
BacoNoir
Posts: 1112
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 6:33 pm
Name: Roger
Location: Colorado

Re: Lord Elgin Pocket Watch

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:55 pm

Very cool to see some others here.

I have my great grandfather’s Elgin from 1908 and had it serviced a few years ago. Took my watchmaker a while as 3 jewels were cracked and he could not find the right sizes. After several attempts, he finally bought a donor movement to scavenge jewels. I’ll pull it out and post some pics of it this weekend.

Where’s the Elgin serial number search website? I’d love to look mine up too.

User avatar
Selym
Posts: 1259
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Re: Lord Elgin Pocket Watch

Post by Selym » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:15 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:55 pm
Where’s the Elgin serial number search website? I’d love to look mine up too.
http://www.elginnumbers.com

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council
Posts: 11127
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:00 am
Location: Montana

Re: Lord Elgin Pocket Watch

Post by River Rat » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:43 am

Nice watch glad it stayed in the family to many after family members pass away are sold off and most the cases are melted down for the gold and silver content.
My Dad gave me my Grandfathers pocket watch given to him on his 21st birthday around 1906.
Image
Image
Image
Image
This is made by Waltham with a 17 jewel hand wind and stem set movement in a real nice Hunter case with a cool Elk on the back. Pocket watches got me into this hobby I bought my first pocket watch after I got my first real job out of the Navy a Hamilton 992 railroad pocket watch at a pawn shop in Hayward CA in 1986 and then got my Grandfathers pocket watch and I went crazy with this hobby.

User avatar
BacoNoir
Posts: 1112
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 6:33 pm
Name: Roger
Location: Colorado

Re: Lord Elgin Pocket Watch

Post by BacoNoir » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:09 am

Looking back at the watchmaker’s notes, he said the watch dated to 1918, not 1908. The Elgin numbers site says 1919, so pretty darn close. Here it is and I think I’ll take it to the Denver GTG tomorrow for something different.
Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 4227
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: Lord Elgin Pocket Watch

Post by Chocodove » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:23 am

River Rat wrote:Nice watch glad it stayed in the family to many after family members pass away are sold off and most the cases are melted down for the gold and silver content.
My Dad gave me my Grandfathers pocket watch given to him on his 21st birthday around 1906.
Image
Image
Image
Image
This is made by Waltham with a 17 jewel hand wind and stem set movement in a real nice Hunter case with a cool Elk on the back. Pocket watches got me into this hobby I bought my first pocket watch after I got my first real job out of the Navy a Hamilton 992 railroad pocket watch at a pawn shop in Hayward CA in 1986 and then got my Grandfathers pocket watch and I went crazy with this hobby.
That’s beautiful.
- Todd

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 4227
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: Lord Elgin Pocket Watch

Post by Chocodove » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:24 am

BacoNoir wrote:Looking back at the watchmaker’s notes, he said the watch dated to 1918, not 1908. The Elgin numbers site says 1919, so pretty darn close. Here it is and I think I’ll take it to the Denver GTG tomorrow for something different.
Image

Image

Image
Love that engraving on the back.
- Todd

User avatar
Steve O.
Posts: 914
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:31 pm
Name: Uh, Steve
Location: North Georgia

Re: Lord Elgin Pocket Watch

Post by Steve O. » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:47 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:09 am
Looking back at the watchmaker’s notes, he said the watch dated to 1918, not 1908. The Elgin numbers site says 1919, so pretty darn close. Here it is and I think I’ll take it to the Denver GTG tomorrow for something different.
Image

Image

Image
Love that engraving too. Very appropriate and patriotic for a watch produced just after the First World War.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests