My preloved SAS Sea-01 LE #212

Discussion of SAS Watches and Míleata Military Watches

Moderator: Graeme

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

My preloved SAS Sea-01 LE #212

Post by Joeprez » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:26 am

This is not a review of the watch per se, plenty of great ones if you look around. This more to help everyone that is in the fence regarding owning one of these beauties. The short version is to GET ONE!

Since I started perusing the internet watch forums (like almost everyone, started on WUS), there were two watches that I instantly fell in love with, but that I was afraid that were to big for my "manly" wrist: The SAS Sea and the Halios Laguna.

Being a bean counter and son of an engineer, I was always inspecting photos, asking everyone their wrist size (kind of awkward at first) and even prepared an excel spreadsheet with specs of all the watches I wanted. I know watch size is mainly a preference, but I do agree that hanging or floating lugs do look bad, and more important, are uncomfortable. It also depends on the size of the watch and if the lugs are flat or curve (which hugs the wrist) and the flatness of your wrist. I, for example, love my Steinhart pilot on leather straps, but due to its design I can't wear it on natos. However, the Ecozilla with Suppa adapter, which has a longer lug to lug distance, wears fine on my wrist on natos or zulus.

Having bored you with all that, here are pictures of the unboxing and of the marvelous SAS Sea-01 LE on my not so marvelous "manly" 6.75" wrist:

This is the reason why we carry knives, Eric:

Great packaging from Zack:

Awesome box and watch from Graeme! The bracelet is great, but this one is to be worn on leather and rubber straps!

Quick comparo between the SAS and the Steinhart Nav B. Both comfortable and similar diameter, but the SAS is thicker and heavier. However, once strapped on your wrist... weight is not an issue. You do need, in my opinion, a thick leather strap... I bought a really nice one from C&B but its only 3.5mm thick and I think a thicker one will make the watch more comfortable. The OEM rubber is great, but an Iso is more comfortable too.

The natos are 22mm as I currently don't have any 24mm's around:

Nice caseback! Anyone knows how many LE's were made? This is #212, reporting for duty :salute:

And now... after you establish that your wrist can tolerate the L2L of a watch (just measure yours!), weight is the second most important factor... here you have a couple of pictures for benchmarking purposes:

SAS head and with leather strap:

Ecozilla OEM and with suppa adapters and Iso (its heavier but way more comfortable on Isofrane):

Helson Shark Diver 40mm

Steinhart Nav B:

Seiko SKX007:

My wrist:

All in all, do your homework... don't take the word of someone saying that the watch is too big for you... check it out and maybe you won't have to wait as long as I did to get the courage to buy this one. Also, want to skip all the measuring and stuff? GO TO A DWC G2G!!! What REALLY convinced me that I could buy a SAS and a Laguna was being able to try on Eric's Pam and Tony's Laguna... and we also had a great time! Thanks again guys! :headbang: :fro:

So, anyone on the fence? Need more info or pictures? Just ask!

P.D. I'm looking for a 24mm black Iso, hit me up if you want to sell one. Also interested to buy (or receive donations, LOL) of leather straps for this one.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Re: My preloved SAS Sea-01 LE #212

Post by Pasquale » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:30 am

Nice "not a review"
Pasquale

NSC

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:36 am

Great post. As I've posted before the SAS is the only watch I've sold that I miss. I didn't have a problem with the L2L or the weight, but felt the watch wore a bit thick for me. I'm having the same struggle with the UTS 2000m at the moment. Maybe I should try the SAS again. It's a great looking watch and a real bargain.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:00 am

Great post Joe. The "LE" models with the black hands were not numbered, but I seem to remember Graeme saying there would be about 10 of them. If I am incorrect I hope Graeme will correct me. Give the SAS rubber a chance. Other than swimming, I have found it works just as well as the Isofrane and looks much better.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:06 am

Awesome.

Now get the air also!
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:11 am

tmw wrote:Awesome.

Now get the air also!
I couldn't agree more. The quality level is incredibly high for the price point.
David St. Hubbins

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:13 am

Great stuff! :cheers:

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:43 am

They look like wonderfully built watches and what I've noticed seeing all the new Air SAS is what an amazing kit Graeme has put together.. Congrats to everyone who owns one if not two pieces as I've screwed around and always thought I would reach for my Panerai instead of the SAS, well I'm starting to think I've made a big mistake.... :raised:
Image Image Image
Trevor

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:02 am

Nice weed scale
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Graeme
Owner - SAS & Míleata
Name: Graeme

Post by Graeme » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:17 am

That's a great write up Joe !! Thank you :thumbsup:

Image Image

YOHOHO
Dirty Closet Hinderer Whore
Name: Josh

Post by YOHOHO » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:04 am

sweet! I'm liking it on the orange iso

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:36 am

Cool, nice pics and awesome that you got it!

Graeme
Owner - SAS & Míleata
Name: Graeme

Post by Graeme » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:48 am

CGSshorty wrote:Great post Joe. The "LE" models with the black hands were not numbered, but I seem to remember Graeme saying there would be about 10 of them. If I am incorrect I hope Graeme will correct me. Give the SAS rubber a chance. Other than swimming, I have found it works just as well as the Isofrane and looks much better.
Yes thats correct Chris, I only did 10 of these. I refer to them now as the DWC specials :rock:

Image Image

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:53 pm

patstarrx wrote:Nice "not a review"
Thanks!
logan2z wrote:Great post. As I've posted before the SAS is the only watch I've sold that I miss. I didn't have a problem with the L2L or the weight, but felt the watch wore a bit thick for me. I'm having the same struggle with the UTS 2000m at the moment. Maybe I should try the SAS again. It's a great looking watch and a real bargain.
After wearing the Ecozilla every weekend for the last 6 months, the thickness doesn't bother me... of course, this one will not go under cuffs of long sleeve shirts, but I always roll up my sleeves at work anyways.
CGSshorty wrote:Great post Joe. The "LE" models with the black hands were not numbered, but I seem to remember Graeme saying there would be about 10 of them. If I am incorrect I hope Graeme will correct me. Give the SAS rubber a chance. Other than swimming, I have found it works just as well as the Isofrane and looks much better.
Thanks for the info on the LE models... and I will give the OEM rubber a chance.

Now get the air also!
CGSshorty wrote:

Now get the air also!
I couldn't agree more. The quality level is incredibly high for the price point.
mattcantwin wrote:Great stuff! :cheers:
Thanks guys! The AIR is awesome, and it does looks more "office friendly". However, I think I now want a SAS Sea Dubh Linn also! Hey Graeme, any change of a SAS Air Dubh Linn in the future? (please say yes please say yes!)
cali kid wrote:They look like wonderfully built watches and what I've noticed seeing all the new Air SAS is what an amazing kit Graeme has put together.. Congrats to everyone who owns one if not two pieces as I've screwed around and always thought I would reach for my Panerai instead of the SAS, well I'm starting to think I've made a big mistake.... :raised:
I like that it kind of looks like a PAM, but its actually a whole different design. Get a SAS and then get a PAM :shrug: ?
BBK357 wrote:Nice weed scale
:lol:
Graeme wrote:That's a great write up Joe !! Thank you :thumbsup:
YOHOHO wrote:sweet! I'm liking it on the orange iso
carlodwc wrote:Cool, nice pics and awesome that you got it!
Thanks guys! Looks better than I though on the orange Iso!
Graeme wrote:
Yes thats correct Chris, I only did 10 of these. I refer to them now as the DWC specials :rock:
Thanks for the confirmation, and for designing this watch... Its really, really cool! I think I'm going to start a thread to track the owners of the "DWC Specials".

So.... SAS Air Dubh Linn in the future?!? :love:

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:46 pm

:lol: +1 :thumbsup:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Great write-up. That's a special version of the Sea-01. Awesome watch!
:htfu:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:42 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Thanks!
logan2z wrote:Great post. As I've posted before the SAS is the only watch I've sold that I miss. I didn't have a problem with the L2L or the weight, but felt the watch wore a bit thick for me. I'm having the same struggle with the UTS 2000m at the moment. Maybe I should try the SAS again. It's a great looking watch and a real bargain.
After wearing the Ecozilla every weekend for the last 6 months, the thickness doesn't bother me... of course, this one will not go under cuffs of long sleeve shirts, but I always roll up my sleeves at work anyways.
Thanks for the info on the LE models... and I will give the OEM rubber a chance.

Now get the air also!
CGSshorty wrote:

Now get the air also!
mattcantwin wrote:Great stuff! :cheers:
Thanks guys! The AIR is awesome, and it does looks more "office friendly". However, I think I now want a SAS Sea Dubh Linn also! Hey Graeme, any change of a SAS Air Dubh Linn in the future? (please say yes please say yes!)
cali kid wrote:They look like wonderfully built watches and what I've noticed seeing all the new Air SAS is what an amazing kit Graeme has put together.. Congrats to everyone who owns one if not two pieces as I've screwed around and always thought I would reach for my Panerai instead of the SAS, well I'm starting to think I've made a big mistake.... :raised:
I like that it kind of looks like a PAM, but its actually a whole different design. Get a SAS and then get a PAM :shrug: ?
BBK357 wrote:Nice weed scale
:lol:
Graeme wrote:That's a great write up Joe !! Thank you :thumbsup:
YOHOHO wrote:sweet! I'm liking it on the orange iso
carlodwc wrote:Cool, nice pics and awesome that you got it!
Thanks guys! Looks better than I though on the orange Iso!
Graeme wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation, and for designing this watch... Its really, really cool! I think I'm going to start a thread to track the owners of the "DWC Specials".

So.... SAS Air Dubh Linn in the future?!? :love:
I have one, so that is two of them. No idea about the other 8. I would also love a DLC coated Air. Graeme, make it so.
David St. Hubbins

AntonioPD
Name: Tony

Post by AntonioPD » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:54 am

Congrats my friend! And awesome post and pics!

Now get a Laguna! :dance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Resistance is the indicator of progress.
- Clint Bruce USN (Retired)

Omega PO 8500 45.5, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard A-05, Karlskrona Midnattssol Blue Date, Seiko Save the Ocean Turtle, G-Shock Solar Atomic and GA-100, Movado ESQ

alund
Name: Alan

Post by alund » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:39 am

Congrats on your Sea-01. Also thanks for the non-review

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:57 am

Well, Chris was right regarding the SAS rubber. Wore it on the weekend, then leather strap for Mon and Tue, and today back to the rubber. It is extremely comfortable and looks great!

Also, gotta love the small details:

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Glad you're still loving it bud! Very happy this went to you!

Sent from Tapatalk

AntonioPD
Name: Tony

Post by AntonioPD » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:45 pm

Just browsed this thread again - great watch bro! Hmmmmm .... :think:
Resistance is the indicator of progress.
- Clint Bruce USN (Retired)

Omega PO 8500 45.5, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard A-05, Karlskrona Midnattssol Blue Date, Seiko Save the Ocean Turtle, G-Shock Solar Atomic and GA-100, Movado ESQ

alund
Name: Alan

Post by alund » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:34 am

Congrats and thanks for the write up..

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:13 am

AntonioPD wrote:Just browsed this thread again - great watch bro! Hmmmmm .... :think:
You need one! :grin: