Start/Stop Systems

Where did you get that man purse?
mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Start/Stop Systems

Post by mattcantwin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:13 pm

Last time I bought a car was 2009 (my wife's CRV).

Now that I'm looking to purchase, I am coming across a huge number of "technological advancements".

Amazing how many seem devoted to the concept of drivers not paying attention when driving.

Moving on from those, many cars have start/stop systems; but not all have a switch to disable it.

I'm looking for opinions on whether or not the inability to turn it off is an issue.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Re: Start/Stop Systems

Post by Torrid » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:19 pm

I hate stop start. I see many replaced starters being a thing from all the constant quick starts. Luckily the V8 F150 2017 and earlier doesn’t even have the feature.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:22 pm

Definitely an issue for me, I hate stop/start systems.

I believe BMW and some others can remember your preference and keep it off if desired.

My 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee has stop/start and it does not remember the setting, requiring the driver to push the off button at each start. Fortunately for me, before I made the purchase decision I found a company who produced a plug-in module that remembers the last used setting. Knowing this was an option I bought the Jeep and the module, resulting in a happy me.

If you find a vehicle you like and it doesn’t have a setting that remembers your preference, I suggest you do an internet search to see what solution current owners have found. There are many aftermarket solutions to common annoyances, in addition to creative workarounds found by owners.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:23 pm

Torrid wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:19 pm
I hate stop start. I see many replaced starters being a thing from all the constant quick starts. Luckily the V8 F150 2017 and earlier doesn’t even have the feature.
i have heard cars at the light start up. i can imagine it puts a lot of wear and tear on the car.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:50 pm

Our Enclave has it. I barely notice it.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:47 am

My Wife's caddy has it and though I barely drive it, I enjoy the novelty of it and marvel how quickly it starts up. It doesn't;t bother me or my wife who is in and out of the car all day long. It can be disabled on the Caddy AFAIK as I remember my friend telling me he disabled his.
Regards
Barry

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:43 am

My 328D has it and I leave it off. My wife’s Range has it and it has to be deactivated every time you drive.

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:44 am

My car has it. I turned it off when I first got it. Besides being annoying, I've heard reports that it can lead to premature transmission issues. Does net you slightly better fuel economy though.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:39 am

My work Jeep has it. Hate it. I disable it as soon as I get in the car.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 am

Doesn't bother me but I turn mine off in my car

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:08 am

Knowing me I'd hate anything like that on a car, and especially anything that nagged or tried to prevent me from driving how I want. I have a wife for that.

Too much safety driving assistance BS added to cars nowadays imo, which basically gives driver's another reason to not pay attention.

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:24 am

My car has it. You have to disable it each time you get in the car. Not a big deal to me, just like putting on a seat belt. I've heard that manufacturers argue that it's no additional wear and tear on a vehicle and that the starters they use are designed for significantly more starts than what the average car will go through...then again, the practical side in me says that no matter what they say, it can't be good for the vehicle.

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:37 am

JDC222 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:43 am
My 328D has it and I leave it off. My wife’s Range has it and it has to be deactivated every time you drive.
Mine's the same way and I hate it. It's the first thing I do when I get in mine, is turn it off.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:14 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:22 pm
Definitely an issue for me, I hate stop/start systems.

I believe BMW and some others can remember your preference and keep it off if desired.

My 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee has stop/start and it does not remember the setting, requiring the driver to push the off button at each start. Fortunately for me, before I made the purchase decision I found a company who produced a plug-in module that remembers the last used setting. Knowing this was an option I bought the Jeep and the module, resulting in a happy me.

If you find a vehicle you like and it doesn’t have a setting that remembers your preference, I suggest you do an internet search to see what solution current owners have found. There are many aftermarket solutions to common annoyances, in addition to creative workarounds found by owners.
============
My BMW has it- button right above the start button allows you to shut it off.. I keep mine off.

Slipkid
Name: AJ

Post by Slipkid » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:55 pm

My Audi has it...luckily there's a switch to turn it off. Tried it for a few miles after I bought the car, and decided I didn't want or need the extra wear and tear.
Cheers,
AJ
----
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:23 pm

Yep, mine has it. I coded it out so I don't have to remember to turn it off