Briefcase

Where did you get that man purse?
gamecock111
Name: Doug

Re: Briefcase

Post by gamecock111 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:40 am

Checkout ebags.com.

I have one of their backpacks that I love. They got a big sale on now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:24 am

Thanks all. Took a little bit of a flyer on that Stuart and Lau bag. Good reviews and the design has some cool features. One thing that's missing is the luggage strap but I find sometimes that's not necessary if the handle will look over the handle.

I may have a couple of bags for sale that I will post here first - a Filson and a Patagonia.I have to sell a few before my wife calls me a bag whore again...

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:51 am

goaliechris wrote:Thanks all. Took a little bit of a flyer on that Stuart and Lau bag. Good reviews and the design has some cool features. One thing that's missing is the luggage strap but I find sometimes that's not necessary if the handle will look over the handle.

I may have a couple of bags for sale that I will post here first - a Filson and a Patagonia.I have to sell a few before my wife calls me a bag whore again...
What style Filson?
My wife calls me a “bag fag” not that there’s anything wrong with thatImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:57 am

Captdave wrote:
goaliechris wrote:Thanks all. Took a little bit of a flyer on that Stuart and Lau bag. Good reviews and the design has some cool features. One thing that's missing is the luggage strap but I find sometimes that's not necessary if the handle will look over the handle.

What style Filson?

I have the tan 24 hour bag. It’s in good condition but has that color rubbing from jeans on the inside but the rest is really good. If you’re interested I’ll take a few pics later today.

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:56 pm

goaliechris wrote:
Captdave wrote:

What style Filson?

I have the tan 24 hour bag. It’s in good condition but has that color rubbing from jeans on the inside but the rest is really good. If you’re interested I’ll take a few pics later today.

At your convenience. Not sure if I could justify another one right now...weddings are f$@king expensive!!

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:01 pm

goaliechris wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:24 am
Thanks all. Took a little bit of a flyer on that Stuart and Lau bag. Good reviews and the design has some cool features. One thing that's missing is the luggage strap but I find sometimes that's not necessary if the handle will look over the handle.

Please give us (me!) a review when the bag comes it. I’m really liking the design, but somewhat unsure of the material they selected. I’d love to hear your impressions of it.

Nothing wrong with being a bag whore. I’m just lucky enough to have both a home office and an away office so I can divide out my collection. This way my secret shame remains somewhat contained.

Surfboards on the other hand....my wife tells people our shed is really my “Surfboard House”.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:14 pm

I use my Filson 156 daily for work and it’s holding up really well. Love the looks and quality. It’s a good size. Can’t go wrong
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:22 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:I use my Filson 156 daily for work and it’s holding up really well. Love the looks and quality. It’s a good size. Can’t go wrong
That looks really nice. My Filson hasn’t quite worn that well. How do you keep it looking so new?

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:11 pm

goaliechris wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:I use my Filson 156 daily for work and it’s holding up really well. Love the looks and quality. It’s a good size. Can’t go wrong
That looks really nice. My Filson hasn’t quite worn that well. How do you keep it looking so new?

I don’t do anything special. Just use it. I sport clean it if there is a stain but that’s it.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:17 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:
goaliechris wrote:

I don’t do anything special. Just use it. I sport clean it if there is a stain but that’s it.
I use the medium field bag in tan and the padded computer briefcase in black. I abuse the hell out of them and the black looks much better than the tan after years of being exposed to the elements and drug up and down filthy pilot ladders and sides of ships and across dirty decks. The tan is cool but doesn’t hold up well to “field use” if you want it to look nice and clean.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:05 am

^^^ Fully agree regarding color choice. I don’t climb around ships with mine, but it’s been on the floor under the seat in front of me on countless airline flights. Dark colors are definitely the best choice if this is your intended use.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:19 am

Yeah, must of my Filsons are tan, but I went with otter green for my daily carry. Still like tan the best, though.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:21 am

I used to carry a briefcase but found that a nice, modern backpack style better worked for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:10 am

I recently got one of these to replace an older Coach one I got as a gift and was falling apart (don’t recommend anything by them). I commute into NYC and do a lot of walking in all kinds of weather, so the waterproof fabric is clutch. It’s also very easy to stow the strap if you’re not using it. They have a smaller size as well. Seems indestructible to me without looking like it’s overkill in business meetings, etc.

https://missionworkshop.com/collections ... 7789060869
- Todd

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:23 am

Chocodove wrote:I recently got one of these to replace an older Coach one I got as a gift and was falling apart (don’t recommend anything by them). I commute into NYC and do a lot of walking in all kinds of weather, so the waterproof fabric is clutch. It’s also very easy to stow the strap if you’re not using it. They have a smaller size as well. Seems indestructible to me without looking like it’s overkill in business meetings, etc.

I really like the look of this one.

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:54 am

ericf4 wrote:
Chocodove wrote:I recently got one of these to replace an older Coach one I got as a gift and was falling apart (don’t recommend anything by them). I commute into NYC and do a lot of walking in all kinds of weather, so the waterproof fabric is clutch. It’s also very easy to stow the strap if you’re not using it. They have a smaller size as well. Seems indestructible to me without looking like it’s overkill in business meetings, etc.

I really like the look of this one.

Same - that’s sweet. If this Stuart bag doesn’t work out that could be the next. I like the 14L version.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:01 am

Same as Eric, I've been using nice backpacks recently (current one is from Timbuk2), but that mission workshop briefcase is very good looking.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:39 pm

I tried a backpack style but found I nearly always just slung it over one shoulder which kinda defeated the whole benefit of the backpack design.

I tend to “fill the bag” no matter what I use, so I’ve found using a smaller bag and forcing myself to pack smarter has been better for my back than anything.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Briefcase

Post by manitoujoe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:34 pm

Same here. I thought I’d dig the backpack, so I went GR1. I just feel weird using both shoulder straps. Grew up thinking that was uncool and can’t break the idea.

Didn’t really need a full briefcase, just wanted something for the iPad Pro and some extras. Got a Saddleback Mountainback Indiana Gear bag and it just works.

This guy wore it for two years solid and it looks new. East Asia, heat, rain, etc. I won’t see any of that, but it is comfortable and holds just enough. I felt good seeing his reviews and how it held up.

9 month review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT1bGrZoMdI

1 year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb3md-dkTNk

2 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55NEUEaK3lM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

blowfish89

Post by blowfish89 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:11 am

+1 for Vermilyea Pelle, been using their briefcase everyday for 2 years now and super happy. Bought another one for my brother.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Briefcase

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:15 am

I like the nylon lightweight Timbuk2 stuff, but I’m not a fancy guy.

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:54 am

I don’t need fancy either. I think that’s what is hard to find - something that isn’t the traditional leather bag (like SAB) but doesn’t look like I’m a teen midway backpacking through Europe. I had a Glaser but that’s when I carried 2 or 3 very large printed presentations every week. I’ve also used a GR1 and a Patagonia backpack but those were a little too casual for my line of work.

My favorite bag was this one from Topo which I still have but I wish I’d gotten the black one instead. May still go that way depending on how the Stuart & Lau bag works out.

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:19 am

Another vote for this Filson. I have tried to replace it several times and can't find anything as useful or that holds up as well. I keep going back to my 15+ year old bag that looks good for it's age.

deepcdvr wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:19 pm
+1 for filson

Rugged bags that age well

Regards
Barry

DrWapenshaw
Name: J

Post by DrWapenshaw » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:25 am

goaliechris wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:44 pm
DrWapenshaw wrote:
TSD wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:29 pm
JBZ wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:25 am
Zip
Orvis guarantee is nice. They will take them back and fix them without too much hassle.
Thanks for mentioning their guarantee. I have an Orvis jacket I was planning on taking to my seamstress today to fix, it broke a month or 2 after purchase last year. Now I will instead head over to Orvis. To see what they say after looking at their policy online.
Orvis is a good company - they back their gear well.

Just fot back from Orvis, they are having a new replacement jacket delivered to my house.
No questions asked. Sweet.
Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:39 am

I pretty much wore out a Crumpler bag (took about 10 years of daily use/abuse) then waffled a while till this Filson (briefcase computer bag - not made anymore I think) came up right here and I love it... It's borderline big for daily use (especially commuting) but it's great and holds a ton if you need it to. I really like the navy/brown/brass hardware colorway, and the great accounts of other owners over time. Thanks again Mark if you see this! :thumbsup:

Send lawyers, guns and money...