Briefcase

Where did you get that man purse?
goaliechris
Name: Chris

Briefcase

Post by goaliechris » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:46 am

Greetings - I am in the market for a new briefcase for work. I travel a couple of times per month so looking for something more utilitarian than fancy (but not cheap). I like an external pocket or two for stashing items that I want quick access to and a back luggage strap to attach to roller bags. A lighter weight option is preferred. I carry a 15” laptop, chargers, occasionally a paperback, and a notebook.

Any suggestions? Lately have looked at Stuart and Lau, Topo, Filson, and Patagonia. Not really interested in Tumi. Struggling to find one that checks all the boxes. Budget is flexible (to a point).

Thanks - Chris

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Re: Briefcase

Post by manitoujoe » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 am

Check out goforthgoods! Handmade stuff and really good people
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:52 am

I use Filson. Found it meets my needs. It isn’t light weight though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:56 am

I have a Vermilyea Pelle. Really great stuff. Waxed canvas or Horween options.

Last edited by pbj204 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:58 am

we have family in fort collins, so i've handled most of the topo packs in person at the store and own a klettersack.
my b-i-l owns their commuter brief and likes it a lot. (he went from a filson because the exposed sharp brass zippers were nicking up his dressier clothing. also stopped using the canvas filson garment bag for the same reason.)

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:58 am

You day no Tumi, but I’ve had this one for 15 years and travel a lot. I’ve replaced the shoulder strap and that’s it. The ballistic nylon holds up incredibly well and it’s a classic style unlike a lot of the trendy bags that are “in” for a few years and the “out”.

It has a zipper in the middle to expand when needed and a zippered slot on the back to open and slide over the handle of your carryon.

The closest model they currently sell is called the Expandable Organizer Laptop Brief. On sale right now for $315

https://www.tumi.com/p/expandable-organ ... -026141D2/

www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:12 am

Good options - thanks for the ideas!

I had an issue with a Tumi messenger bag a few years ago and it kind of soured me. However, I know they have a very good rep overall.

DrWapenshaw
Name: J

Post by DrWapenshaw » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:24 am

Another vote for ballistic Tumi. I left Tumi for a while, dont care for their leather anymore as I dont like how it ages. Their ballistic is still top notch.

Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:25 am

Some good suggestions already. I've had good luck with my Orvis Battenkill overnight bag. I don't have the briefcase, but if it's made to the same quality I think you'd be happy with it.

https://www.orvis.com/p/battenkill-briefcase/4x8x

Orvis also carries some all leather varieties, but they're significantly more expensive.

Or, go crazy:

https://www.swaineadeneybrigg.com/colle ... s-chestnut

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:19 pm

+1 for filson

Rugged bags that age well

VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:28 pm

Filson. Been using one or another for years and they are indestructible. I now own about 7 of them. I do like Topo as well, and own a klettersack.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:29 pm

JBZ wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:25 am
I've had good luck with my Orvis Battenkill overnight bag. I don't have the briefcase, but if it's made to the same quality I think you'd be happy with it.
I’ve carried a Battenkill briefcase for the last 15 years, and the Mrs. just got me a new one. Orvis guarantee is nice. They will take them back and fix them without too much hassle.

DrWapenshaw
Name: J

Post by DrWapenshaw » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:37 pm

TSD wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:29 pm
JBZ wrote:
Zip
Orvis guarantee is nice. They will take them back and fix them without too much hassle.
Thanks for mentioning their guarantee. I have an Orvis jacket I was planning on taking to my seamstress today to fix, it broke a month or 2 after purchase last year. Now I will instead head over to Orvis. To see what they say after looking at their policy online.
Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:44 pm

DrWapenshaw wrote:
TSD wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:29 pm
JBZ wrote:
Zip
Orvis guarantee is nice. They will take them back and fix them without too much hassle.
Thanks for mentioning their guarantee. I have an Orvis jacket I was planning on taking to my seamstress today to fix, it broke a month or 2 after purchase last year. Now I will instead head over to Orvis. To see what they say after looking at their policy online.
Orvis is a good company - they back their gear well.

BlueSky
Name: David

Post by BlueSky » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Nordstrom has a decent selection and some are on sale. I tend to trust their reviews.

https://shop.nordstrom.com/sr?origin=ke ... position=1

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:07 pm

BlueSky wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:54 pm
Nordstrom has a decent selection and some are on sale. I tend to trust their reviews.

That Briggs and Riley one looks nice!

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/briggs-ril ... olor=black
www.simplynoble.net

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:26 pm

I’m a frequent traveler and a bit of a bag whore. I’ve used a Timbuk2 commuter for years. It works well, doesn’t look too bike messenger-ish.

Recently a friend sent me a Barbour Thornproof Tarras waxed canvas bag to try out. It is a much simpler design than the ballistic nylon Timbuk2, but it works well for my laptop, iPad, notebook, and noise canceling headphones (my airplane travel EDC). The Barbour offers pretty heavy duty construction with canvas, leather, and solid brass hardware, but is fairly light weight due to the simplicity of the design.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Barbour bag for reference.

The only thing it doesn’t offer is the luggage sleeve, but it rests well on my Pullman bag and I just loop the shoulder strap through the luggage handle for security. Works fine for me.

BTW- my luggage is LL Bean ballistic nylon (not certain if they still make it, but that gear really gets top marks for ruggedness.)

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:11 pm

Barbour is cool.

What do you think about this? Leaning this way.

https://stuartandlau.com/collections/t ... -and-black

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:40 pm

I really like that one.

I really like bags designed by frequent travelers for frequent travelers.

I also have to think about the fact I travel in various class seats depending upon the route, etc. The bag needs to work in a 90 seater as well as a 200+ seat rig.

On edit: the only thing that concerns me about this bag is the design using a rubber layer bonded to the nylon material. I’d be worried about the rubber cracking and separating.

I’m of the opinion that in some items, old tech like canvas and leather are better than new school tech. Just my .02 for what it’s worth.

I do, however, really like he design. Make that design in waxed canvas or ballistic nylon, and I’m 100% in.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Briefcase

Post by matt.wu » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:18 pm

BacoNoir wrote:You day no Tumi, but I’ve had this one for 15 years and travel a lot. I’ve replaced the shoulder strap and that’s it. The ballistic nylon holds up incredibly well and it’s a classic style unlike a lot of the trendy bags that are “in” for a few years and the “out”.

It has a zipper in the middle to expand when needed and a zippered slot on the back to open and slide over the handle of your carryon.

The closest model they currently sell is called the Expandable Organizer Laptop Brief. On sale right now for $315

I use the exact same one, just the newer version. I’ve had it for a few years. I've tried a few different, and this one is the one that fits my needs.

For one-night business trips, I don't even need to bring another suitcase. I can fit everything I need in this along with headphones, laptop, etc...
:htfu:

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:22 pm

matt.wu wrote:
BacoNoir wrote:You day no Tumi, but I’ve had this one for 15 years and travel a lot. I’ve replaced the shoulder strap and that’s it. The ballistic nylon holds up incredibly well and it’s a classic style unlike a lot of the trendy bags that are “in” for a few years and the “out”.

I use the exact same one, just the newer version. I’ve had it for a few years. I've tried a few different, and this one is the one that fits my needs.

For one-night business trips, I don't even need to bring another suitcase. I can fit everything I need in this along with headphones, laptop, etc...
Yup. Me too. I have been through a couple of messenger bags, laptop backpacks, and Timbuk2 TSA compliant bags, and this is the one that stuck. It just works and is durable.
www.simplynoble.net

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:08 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
BlueSky wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:54 pm

That Briggs and Riley one looks nice!

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/briggs-ril ... olor=black
Colleague carries a Briggs and Riley. They’ve used it for years and they’re very happy with it and it still looks great.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:02 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:40 pm
I really like that one.

I really like bags designed by frequent travelers for frequent travelers.

I also have to think about the fact I travel in various class seats depending upon the route, etc. The bag needs to work in a 90 seater as well as a 200+ seat rig.

On edit: the only thing that concerns me about this bag is the design using a rubber layer bonded to the nylon material. I’d be worried about the rubber cracking and separating.

I’m of the opinion that in some items, old tech like canvas and leather are better than new school tech. Just my .02 for what it’s worth.

I do, however, really like he design. Make that design in waxed canvas or ballistic nylon, and I’m 100% in.
this post reminded me of the tom bihn bags.
i have the aeronaut carry-on and love the versatility, practicality and quality of construction.
their briefcase selection is wide and look similarly well thought out and constructed.

stonehead887
Name: Jeremy

Post by stonehead887 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:09 am

I used to have a briefcase/ messenger bag for years but the shoulder strap drove me nuts. If you are out and about and need to grab your bag (so to speak) from the car, I always found the shoulder strap had fallen underneath the bag, making it awkward to lift out.
I have now gone for a Samsonite rucksack type laptop bag as it has a grab handle at the top is is very easy to lift out of car and sling on to shoulder, especially if hands are full with other stuff.
Mine will hold a 15.5" laptop, 10" tablet, all cables and enough space to hold to folders and pockets for everything else.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk